HALF MOON By Jerry - FINISHED - Corel Scale - 1:50

Good eveining everyone.  It looks like I'm in full running mode; that is running rigging mode..  I have been able to ship a couple of yards and tie them in alhough the going has been slowed down due to interpreting the directions and plans.  I really shouldn't complain about the directons especially having had a look at the Amati plans for the Admiral's HMS Bounty.  She seems to have acquired a touch of nerves and thinks she study Italian before starting her build.  Well, my friend Yamsheed at Premier Models came through for her in flying colors with a set of English instructions which should slightly ease the situation as they are minimal at best.

Back to the Half Moon....

I'm attaching several photos of deatils in the rigging of the Mizzen Mast  Lateen Yard and the Lower Yard of the Main Mast.  I hope they are clear enough to understand.  I still have the Main Yard lanyard to complete but tomorrow's another day.  Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-46515100-1427749108_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-68179600-1427749137_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-22367800-1427749153_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-31313100-1427749175_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-83479200-1427749200_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-93801500-1427749225_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-04318500-1427749246_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-55068900-1427749323_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-10237900-1427749348_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-01069100-1427749393_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-71394300-1427749527_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-68229800-1427749540_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Everyone.

I had a good run at it today so I'm posting my updates.  It looks like I have completed the initial running rigging for the mizen and main masts that ship the yards.  The mizzen and main mast yards are mounted and hitched to the masts.  A few pictures follow:

post-545-0-01427600-1427837199_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-64733900-1427837230_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-56762600-1427837243_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-51715100-1427837273_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-84753300-1427837322_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-93795100-1427837427_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-95074100-1427837459_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-04433200-1427837505_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good evening everyone..

Uh-oh....I don't think this is Aprils fool because the Admiral is really getting in to it.  She took over a nook in my shop (office) for her work top and didn't waste any time.  A package arrived today and when the Admiral came home from work she broke open the package and started to build her bench.  Just look at these pictures folks.....she really means it.  Looks like the HMS Bounty may be built after all.  Any more photos of her (Charlene) will be those posted on her own site after she starts her log.  Have a good night all.

Best,
Jerry 

post-545-0-40158200-1427857447_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-09707500-1427857460_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hi J..

I certaunly will.  She'll finish putting the desk together tonight and then it's deciding what tools she'll need, etc.

Talk to you soon.Best,

Jerry

For a while there she wasn't....The instructions for assembling the desk were wordless cartoons and we had a brief moment of friction.  But as usual, she came up with the solution so all is well again.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

be sure to remind her that there are quite a few build of the Bounty that she can refer to for info and color selection.   man.......I envy you.........but I'm lucky that the admiral and I work well in other ways  ;)  I'll look forward to the start of Olive's build!

nice work on the rigging.........very nice ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Popeye.. Thanks for the good word about the rigging.  I hope to get some more of that finished today but things are really getting crowded on the deck.  Charlene hasn't really decided on a screen name yet although i did recommend "Olive Oyl."   And thank you for mentioning the other builds of Bounty existing; I mentioned those to her a little while back but will remind her again.

Have a great day.

Jerry

Good afternoon everyone..

A steady day at the dry dock today.. We were able to complete the attachment of the fore mast top yard leaving two more yards (the lower fore mast yard and the spirit sail yard) to go. Hopefully we will accomplish most of that tomorrow.  It was a little tricky today when it came to constructing the spider web at the main stay.  The end of the pendant truss line is tied around a deck cleat which can be adjusted any time.  I say this because i believe I may have a little too much stress on the main stay from the pendant truss..  Maybe not...  Thanks to anyone who may read this and make any comments which are always appreciated.  Pictures to follow:

Bersty,

Jerry

P.S.  Tonight is reserved to help the admiral complete her work space.

post-545-0-65268800-1427919621_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-72945600-1427919637_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-11052600-1427919669_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-94882500-1427919705_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-46966800-1427919724_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Glenn.

I think you may be right.  It looks like another month or so.  It's going pretty quickly now. 

The admiral needs something for the top of her work surface.  I have a balsa work board but I can't find this item anywhere.  I checked the internet and the local hobby shop but  no one makes it any more.  Can you recommend a work top , board or whatever and where I might find something for Charlene.  Hopefully someone who may read this post may have an idea which I would be happy to learn about.   Best to you..

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Good morning, Glenn.

Many thanks for the hint about the self healing mats.  Upon checking Amazon, I happened to read a review of one of the mats and learned that WalMart carries several of them.  There is a huge Walmart about 3 miles from our house and Charlene and i will check them out. I have never used a self healing mat, just an old fashioned balsa work board but I have noticed, upon visiting other's logs, that several model ship builders use the self healing mat.  Hope you have a great day.

Best,

Jerry

I just use a pine board for cutting {when I think of it}........but I have a couple of the small mats around here somewhere.   my main table has a Formica top,  which is great when working with white glue........the part your working on pops off easily {just don't use CA}  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Good morning, Popeye..And thanks for taking the time to reply to my inquiry.  It looks like we'll probably end up with a self healing mat since they're available so close to home.  I imagine CA and white glue will eventually create another layer of matting before Charlene is finished. The admiral said she wants to get started this weekend.  I guess Easter Sunday will not stop her mad rush to build the Bounty.  Take care and best...

Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence.  Good to hear from you and many thanks for your nice wordss regarding the rigging of my Half Moon.  The build is coming along very nicely and i estimate that I should have this model completed within a month.  In the meantime, as you have noted, Charlene is preparing to begin her build, the HMS Bounty.  She has her desk in place and now is slowly collecting the items she will need to accomplish her task.  I'm referring to such things as a magnifying lamp, a regular lamp, a desk top mat, etc.  She wants her own hand tools and that's a good thing so we need to supply those too.

I hope you receive the parts you are waiting for soon so you can continue on with the beautiful Annie.  Your build is so  authentic and will be a jewel when it's completed.  I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.  best regards from my admiral and to your admiral also.

Jerry

Hello Everyone..

Just a quick note to announce that my admiral has opened her log site and although it only contains an introduction at this time, I'm betting there will be a lot more to follow.  Here is a link to her site.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10200-hms-bounty-by-jerrys-admiral-amati-scale-160/?

My Half Moon is coming along and I will have more to say in the next day or so.

I hope everybody has a great weekend.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Everyone..

Although I manged to get some decent work in today it was not a very happy day.  I made some real bad errors because of the scant room between all the exisitng lines and even managed to accidentally cut one line twice.  There's very little room left for fat fingers and even skinny tweezers. So after repairing the mistakes I plowed ahead and finally rigged the lifts and sheets of the Main yard.  I had already finished the braces the day before.  The fun part there was drilling a hole through the brass lion's head but eventually it was done. Hopefully I'll be able to work on the main brails tomorrow and get onto the rigging of the top yard.  Here are some pictures.  Hope everyone has a good night.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-43225800-1428365456_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-96697800-1428365481_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-42365200-1428365501_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-23426400-1428365516_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-84942300-1428365534_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-23931400-1428365546_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thanks for the visit and compliment, J... Glad to see you're still looking in.

Best,

Jerry

Very funny, Glenn.  But it's true, I did cut the same line twice.  Charlene has all she can handle with the Bounty and is still in the process of setting up her space.  She now owns a couple of extension lamps, one being a magnifying lamp.  As expected, and right off the bat, we noticed that her kit came differently than the plans and directions show.  Everything is in Italian so it's extra hard to start off with.  The keel came in one piece although the plans show it to be two pieces spliced together.  Upon reading some of the other Bounty builds on this web site I see there is plenty of bashing to do.  I'm really happy that i'm nearing the end of the Half Moon build because i know i'll be spending a lot of time "giving advice" to the Admiral.  Hope you have a great day, Glenn.

Best,

Jerry

sounds like the kit was revised......and the plans weren't....typical ;)    I've had seen some strange stuff with Billing's plans as well.   the kit is the focus.....the plans can just be used as reference.   you did it......you drilled those holes!  rigging looks super Jerry!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye...

Many thanks for the drop-by.  I apreciate your kind comments and it's always good to hear from you.  I'm getting real close to the end of the Half Moon build and better not forget that i haven't mounted the anchors yet.  So it's a little more rigging and belaying pin fighting and then it looks like it's going to be supervision for awhile.  best to you,

Jerry

Hello Everyone.  Well, all the rigging of Half Moon is completed.  There are still the anchors to assemble and mount and last but not least the flags.  When all is said and done, I will take some additional pictures of the completed model which should be by the end of the week.  Completing this boat now will allow me to put on my teacher hat and help the admiral build her Bounty.  Not much to say except that it took me 4 months to build Half Moon compared to about 20 months to complete Victory.  Half Moon has some very interesting rigging which I found to be very unique and not ordinary as the rigging on Victory.  I have much more to say but will opine when the final pictures are submitted.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-69012200-1428602346_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-41841100-1428602357_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry