Rainbow by Omega1234 - FINISHED - J-Class Racing Yacht

go back to work......and see what you've done in those three days!    nothing short of fantastic.....that's for sure!   you did a great job with the sails,  and the rigging compliments them quite well!  your quite a master in these small scales......I have enjoyed watching this build immensely.  I'll look forward to the finish of this fine boat!  it's quite an accomplishment  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 year later...

Well Patrick, 

Just noticed you did a J class yacht and a wonderful job of it too !!!!!   You have set the bar very high.... ;)

Still don't know how you get so much detail in a small package.... :huh:  Once again, very nice model

Cheers,  Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Hi Keith

Thanks and greatly appreciated! Funny thing is, that I'd forgotten just how beautiful the lines of a J Class yacht are until I opened your post above. Which is strange because I pass my rendition of Rainbow umpteen times a day and never give it a moment's notice. But, you've now made me reminisce on the reasons why I built my model of her in the first place. I don't think anything can beat the J's for sheer beauty, majesty and power. They're truly magnificent boats.

Thanks once again and all the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Hi again Patrick,

These yachts caught my eye because of the sheer beauty of them. During my research I found that the designer from Humphreys Yacht Design, used the J class as his inspiration. He said he especially wanted to pay homage to the great yachts of the 1930s.

One thing for sure, these two yachts won't be small, I haven't achieved the level of miniaturization you are so adept at... ;)

Cheers and keep up the great work.   Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Thanks Keith

With the J's used as inspiration, there's no doubt that the yachts you've chosen are going to be beautiful. What's more, whether large , or small scale, it makes no difference as long we enjoy what we're building. Looking back now, Rainbow was an absolute joy to build. I'm sure you'll feel the same way about your boats, too.

All the best.

Cheers

Patrick

• 2 years later...

Patrick,

Incredible work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• The title was changed to Rainbow by Omega1234 - FINISHED - J-Class Racing Yacht