USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log

Great work on the cannons, Matt ... but I have a question.

How do you solder using a candle ?!?!?

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I'm no expert but the smaller the stuff you're soldering, the less heat you need for it to take solder. Candle fire is at a temp of 1400C or 2600F where a torch is 3000. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

George hit the nail on the head CaptainSteve. The candle is stationary so you move the piece to be soldered over the flame. Same concept as the torch and hands free plus greater control of the heat. This would only work on a smaller object that can be easily maneuvered. In my case with the tubes, it critical to hold them perfectly level, or all the individual ones will fall out.

Another way, I've used a zippo lighter. Burns a bit hotter, but you have to be careful not to pick it up to extinguish it, blow it out like a candle.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Come to find out the Nutz Bros have been keeping busy. Harry and Woodie had taken detailed measurements of the bulwark from my smoothbore kit and modified them to fit their ship

First on their list, add additional frames made of dark walnut...

post-17116-0-30896500-1431956126_thumb.jpg

...after which filler block were inserted between the frames.

post-17116-0-10256000-1431956143_thumb.jpg

All hands were on deck to assist in the tedious part of trimming down the filler blocks...

post-17116-0-67353600-1431956177_thumb.jpg

...and rough sanding of the internal planks of the bulwark.

post-17116-0-31142600-1431956289_thumb.jpg

This process was done from bow, back to the raised stern deck.

post-17116-0-94586100-1431956305_thumb.jpg

The details are still being made as to how to finish off on the stern bulwark. But for now, Woodie and his minions will continue planking upward to the clamp and rail cap on the outside only.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

An awesome job from Woody and Harrison.

I think you should increase their nut rations for all the extra work they have put in.

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

• 2 weeks later...

Although Woodie and his rabble have been hard at work, a large number from boot camp have been dismissed due to lack of respect and nefarious activities. This has resulted in the Nuts Bros to seek out new, skilled labor and they've found a clan from Northern Ireland that are of the sort that the Nutz Bros have been searching for.

post-17116-0-33464100-1432729742_thumb.jpg

The Bawlz Clan are a rough group and hard to understand, but their work ethics are great. Woodie has teamed up with the leader of the Bawlz Clan, who simply goes be the name Red, to ensure that all the men get along.

They have made progress on the exterior planking of the bulwarks. They are now at the proper height so the frames have been trimmed down, next to be fitted with clamp and rail cap. A smaller group headed to the stern deck to begin building as was done on the main deck.

post-17116-0-54963700-1432729472_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-80155500-1432729507_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-50107900-1432729529_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-94597300-1432729602_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to be back home by the end of the week as I've been working out of town the last two weeks. Then I'll be able to meet with the Bawlz and see how they're working out.

Great work there, Matt !!

I gotta agree with the others .... love the deck work.

Incidentally, in Aussie vernacular, a red-haired gent is commonly given the nick-name "Blue".

No idea why.

(I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this ...)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Matt, love the patterning and choice of wood colors. Good work. My compliments to Woodie and his crew(s). Dare you Splice the Mainbrace?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you George, Boyd, CaptainSteve, Buck, Ken and to everyone for the KOs on the like button. (Ken, I have a feeling that these squirrels may have captured a parrot and only taught it, "Aawk, splice the mainbrace, Aawk!")

After checking in on Harry, I headed over to see how Woodie and Red were working out. At first, they thought there may be trouble, but to their shagreen, the men were getting along famously. Turns out, the Bawlz Clan were excellent singers of the Blues. This helped raise the morale since the Nutz Clan had been sanding and waxing wood for weeks.

Harry drew up more plans of raised stern deck, and working together, the clans joined forces to finish the work...

post-17116-0-77096700-1432958619_thumb.jpg

...and to all follow up with waxing of all the wood on the deck level.

post-17116-0-93148900-1432958787_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-91268800-1432958802_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-29476800-1432958698_thumb.jpg

A superb job, Matt. I'm looking forward to seeing the mortar installed.

Clearly, the Nutz Brothers are practiced wood-waxers from way back ....

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Like how that aft platform turned out. They must have studied under Mr Myagi!

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Matt,

The wax looks great on your decks.

I'm wrestling with the finishes I'll use on my top deck and the hull planking (deck is light basswood and the hull is dark walnut). I never considered wax, can you give me your thoughts on this and what product you used?

I hesitant to use varnish as this was not the look of 18th century ships....thinking of using polyurethane or lacquer (both clear matte finish).

On a lighter note; we now have five very rambunctious baby squirrels and two baby rabbits in the back yard and there're the best of friends...and a couple of Mallards flew in yesterday and enjoyed a dip in the pool.  Unfortunately, none of them have any desire to assist me in my ship building activities  :)

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Thanks CaptainSteve, Crackers, Ken and Boyd for your words of favor.

As for the finishes Boyd, I'm a big fan of Minwax and Murray's pure Australian beeswax. There are, in my belief, pros and cons for any finishes. What I like best with Minwax is you can use multiple colors of stain to gives nice depth to the wood. It ends up with a matte finish but you can put the beeswax on at the end and buff it to a desired shine.

On this build, up til now, I've been using a natural stain. This coat I used Early American which is not too dark. Because of the previous natural staining, colors don't soak in as much, this I like. It's easier to darken wood than to lighten it. I will most likely scrape off a good amount, leaving the cracks and crevices alone. This give it an aged look, which again, is personal preference.

I've used the straight beeswax on a lot of previous projects that weren't as delicate as these ships. It takes a bit of rubbing to get it deeper into the wood, so I only use it in places that are strong enough to work like the decking and planking.

I would suggest getting several pieces of scrap wood and experiment away. Varying the amount of sanding and length of time when applying can give you a nice variety with the same color. Check out how Buck finished his whaleboat for a different approach. Also a hard finish is easily dusted off, where a soft wax finish seems to attract dust.

With experimenting you'll be able to find a process that works for you. As many people are in this forum, there are as many ways to finish. Happy experimenting! Hope this is of any help and feel free to ask for any refinements that I may have skipped over.

So first question of the day: Is it a gunwale or a rail cap? Thanks to everyone for the likes.

So the crew took a bite at the clamp (Q2: Is this also the correct term?) and decided to make it one big piece. So Woodie and Red made a template of the bulwark and used that to make the clamp(5 pieces laminated).

post-17116-0-08968200-1433084468_thumb.jpg

Once they were dry, the crew trimmed most of the bulk off before glueing to the top of the frames. Now don't be haters, Harry decided to return to the CA for this part. The reason for this was because he needed the clamp to give strength to the entire bulwark.

post-17116-0-11736600-1433084429_thumb.jpg

Finally, Woodie and Red directed the sanding: flush to the planking on one side, and flush to the framing on the inside. Now that everything is boxed in, it is really sturdy.

post-17116-0-24796500-1433084554_thumb.jpg

The work continues today with the crafting of the clamp on the raised stern deck.

This is the image that raises my questions.

post-17116-0-12945500-1433086698_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt.s.s.

The boys are doing a great job Matt! :dancetl6:   I think it's also called a "cap-rail". I can never get all that terminology straight in my head. :rolleyes:  

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

The boys thank you George and to everyone for the likes.

Many a day has Harry pounded his head against a tree trying to design a pleasing raised stern deck. Round and around Harry, Woodie and Red tossed ideas, and nuts, at each other. Finally after a warm glass of rum, Harry said its time, and sent Red and Woodie to deliver the finished plans to the minions.

They cut lumber, steamed strips to be bent and sharpens their chisels for the task at hand. Once the rough pieces were laminated, they fastened them in place and started whittling away and a form started to shape.

post-17116-0-67556200-1433134737_thumb.jpg

After shaping, filing and sanding the boys gave the deck and bulwarks a good cleaning before applying a nice coat of Minwax natural stain.

post-17116-0-66114200-1433134786_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-70799200-1433134801_thumb.jpg

Red's youngest son Tiny had earlier been sent to fetch the newly trained parrot for the final call of the day. Upon his return, Red shouted at Tiny, "That ain't no parrot! What the heck kinda bird is that?" Fortunately Uncle Salty was there and he'd seen everything. "Son, that's a cockatoo! They can talk like a parrot but just with a little mans attitude!" "Aawk...splice the mainbrace...Aawk!" And we'll, there it is.

Good call by that parrot... oops, cockatoo.The shaping and finishing of the cap rail look great! :dancetl6:

Looks like that aft pivot gun/caronnade will have a good field of fire. My compliments to the Nutz crew. :cheers:

Ken

The Boys out-did themselves Matt!  Better give 'em a day off and a barrel of rum to celebrate there success.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Matt,

Really beautiful finish...I've also been using Minwax products for years (I'm using their Special Walnut and Wipe on Poly on my current build).

And thanks for the details on how you approach finishing....I'll be giving Murray's beeswax a try at some point.   

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Matt, I'm sure between your design ideas and the Nuts Bros skills, those carronades will be primo! Keep it up.

Ken

Once again, Harry has been at the drawing table, trying to design a unique companionway. At the same time, Woodie and Red began the framing and siding of this tiny little superstructure.

post-17116-0-96036500-1433597822_thumb.jpg

Chipping away slowly, the side walls began to take shape...

post-17116-0-83568000-1433597838_thumb.jpg

...and it was decided to build the companionway as removable for right now to make the detailing a little easier.

post-17116-0-27254100-1433597851_thumb.jpg

So work shall continue throughout the weekend, but at a pace to not rush the minions. For his part, Harry will continue refining and delivering updates to Woodie and Red.

Nice !!!

So, is that the room where the Crap table and Roulette wheel are located ??

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thank you Ken, CaptainSteve and to get everyone for the likes.

Harry seriously considered to do a simple box-like companionway, but Woodie and Red had other thoughts on the issue. They assured Harry that they had some ideas that would look very good, so he handed over the controls and told the two to have at it.

They began with a vision in mind that needed to reflect in their work. It was to be functional so that the crew wouldn't bash their heads on anything, especially after some rum.

The framing was done first for the hatch cover and grating. After this was done, the unnecessary wood was cut away. A small box was fitted to slide on the rails smoothly, after which the final lid covering was added.

post-17116-0-43898200-1433683572_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-60743700-1433683582_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-79340400-1433683593_thumb.jpg

Work will continue on the companionway, doors and what not, after the crew finally wakes up. Til next report...

My hat's off to Woodie and Red Matt!  They out-did themselves with the design of the companionway.  Might want to throw in a couple extra nuts in their next pay-check!  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

So, is that the room where the Crap table and Roulette wheel are located ??

I thought the crap table was usually located near the bow?

The crew thanks you George, Ken, Cathead and all those who like their progress

It seems that there was some kind of brain blockage goin on this last week. Once Woodie and Red had finished all the wood work, they waited for further instructions. All they knew was that doors needed to be made. After a couple of days, Harry returned with a couple of doors that seemed to fit perfect.

Now with the new doors, the crew got busy installing them. It's not 100% done yet, but I have faith that the companionway will be finished some time soon...

post-17116-0-55482000-1433994317_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-41300000-1433994303_thumb.jpg