USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log

You won't need very long to "fowl" it up. The devil made me do it.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I do like the look of the "antiqued" brass.  I believe there's times when artistic license has to over-ride historical accuracy.  ;)

Couldn't agree more...I hope you don't mind if I borrow the look from you Matt  :cheers:    

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

It reminds me of when the discussions went around about aging sails on the Launches. I was ready to tie one on my bumper!

Thanks Boyd, and borrow away!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Well, the squirrels forge ahead, slowly filling the decks with the necessary fittings to set sail. All the while, Tiny and I have been working on the 12 pounder.

post-17116-0-39092100-1437357235_thumb.jpg

The Nutz and Bawls Clans seem to have put any differences aside since their 4th of July festivities. Red and Woodie set up a production line for making and installing the many bits and eye bolts. Harry took the job of securing the elm tree pump, putting a temporary pipe in place until the perfect elm is found.

post-17116-0-91449300-1437357243_thumb.jpg

I sent Tiny off to the scrap heap for parts while I began work on the carriage. A hole was drilled for the trunion and a brass rod was soldered in. The sides were shaped and drilled while clamped together, and brass rods were inserted. After the cannon was fit, brass spacers were added to ensure that everything stays square.

post-17116-0-06857300-1437357225_thumb.jpg

Tiny returned with some watch parts that we decided to use to make the gun turret. Wood was built on both top and bottom of the parts to elevate the cannon. A brass rod was put through both pieces, and brass watch gears were soldered to its ends to secure everything together, and still be turnable. Trunion caps were made and installed to secure the cannon to the carriage.

Finally, we made the slide rail and placed everything together to see how she fits. The shiny brass is just for now, everything will be blackened and buffed out for the 'aged' look. There's still much work to be done. Until next time...

post-17116-0-17896200-1437357271_thumb.jpg

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Glad to see the boyz hashed out their differences Matt! You and the crew have been busy and doing a h**l of a job I might add. 

Cheers post-12186-0-40710700-1437362969.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Matt,

really like that turret cannon. You and the clans have done some good work. Keep at it.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Thanks George, Ken, Robb and everyone for the likes and kind words. Now that the majority of the deck fittings are in place, it's time to arm this bad boy!

Can't wait to see her with her teeth Matt. Just be sure to hide the explosives from the Boyz lest they be tempted to run some trajectory tests, and inadvertently blow themselves up.   :o:P:D

Cheers post-12186-0-35878200-1437592462.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Them beavers best watch themselves.

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

First on the agenda was to change the look of the circular platform. I considered painting the vertical section black or cover it with blackened brass. I settled with widening the sides by three layers and a final top layer. This helped with the final look being larger, helping balance the slide and base.

post-17116-0-32694700-1437913172_thumb.jpg

Next was the block debacle: use kit supplied blocks, or make my own. Physical measurements prove that all the kit blocks were up to 1mm too large. So Tiny and I took the leap and decided to make our own.

In CaptainSteve's Kit Bashers Guide, there were some examples of this process that I tweaked a little. The blocks are about 1mm less in width than in height.

This set was for making 4 single blocks and 4 double blocks, all being 3mm high and 2mm wide. Walnut strips were cut to the 2mm width and then marks were drawn 3mm apart. 1mm strips were CA'd in place and then the tiny little pieces in between were glued in as well(simulating a center wheel). A 2mn strip was then glued on top.

post-17116-0-82051700-1437913183_thumb.jpg

The first 4 were cut off since they are single blocks. The process was repeated again, making a kind of Big Mac look.

post-17116-0-65361600-1437913195_thumb.jpg

All blocks were then cut apart and the job of shapeing began. The space above and below the tiny center piece were carefully drilled out the the block was shaped to 3mmx2mm. The space between the two holes were then cleaned up, with the final step being to burnish the blocks.

post-17116-0-68328600-1437913207_thumb.jpg

In total for the 12 pounder were: 8 double blocks 4mmx3mm, 4 double blocks 3mmx2mm and 4 single blocks 3mmx2mm. Now is time to begin rigging up the 12pounder. We'll see how long this takes. Til next time...

post-17116-0-74311100-1437913221_thumb.jpg

Matt,

Simply amazing work on the blocks....definitely a trip to the dark side that came out with excellent results....looking forward to the finish product  :)

Really love the new platform....is this the final look on the cannon color (looks like you applied more black).  In my book the color looks great....in fact I'm going to try my hand at achieving the same color on my cannons  :)

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Thanks guys. Yeah I did another coat of blackening. I'll be handling it quite a bit while putting everything in place. The nice part is that if it's too dark in the end, I can buff it off til it looks ok.

Matt, the cannon/platform look great. So do the blocks. You working under magnification with those? 2mm by 3mm is tiny.

Ken

Hi Matt, I just finished reading your log, your build is amazing.

Thanks for sharing<>

Don

Hey Ken, I think my light magnifier is like 6X or so. It's got the fully articulating arm so I can get right up on my work. I just don't think the Optivisor would allow me to keep an eye on the doors and windows while I work. I gotta watch out for anti-squirrel snipers!

post-17116-0-96427200-1437968559_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-75747200-1437968570_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-73037900-1437968581_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-53108400-1437968591_thumb.jpg

I just can't wait to see the boys scampering about for it's test firing!

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

The turret looks awesome Matt! Optivisor at 6X? You should be able to peer into another dimension with those. Just wondering if you were planning on placing rings in the deck around the turret for securing the tackle in any 360 position.

Cheers post-12186-0-16906400-1437996010.gif

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Matt, the rigging turned out well. Keep the clans at it. post-12186-0-16906400-1437996010.gif

Ken

Thank you Bob, George and everyone for the likes.

George, yeah I have four 4mm double blocks to secure to the deck. The four 4mm double blocks on the corners of the slide will attach to them. I used a T-shaped piece of brass to make cleats to secure the lines to. What I still haven't determined is how/where to put the tails of the cordage.

The other decision to be made is the placement of the blocks and which way to connect to the slide. The diagrams I have for the rigging show them crisscrossing each other. Is this the way it's done, or can the positions be changed?

Maybe putting small hooks on each end of the tackle would show the capability of moving them to any position. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Good idea George.

post-17116-0-76011500-1438135978_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-53039200-1438135990_thumb.jpg

Sharp looking rigging on the pivot gun, Matt!  :dancetl6:   Kudoes to your crew. post-12186-0-14832500-1438136701.gif

Ken

Thanks George, Ken and everyone for the likes.

This week entailed mounting the two 10 inch mortars. I decided to scrap the previous mortar beds and start anew.

post-17116-0-99771200-1438558948_thumb.jpg

I happened along a pdf copy of the AOTS for the bomb vessel Granado 1742. Although a bit larger than the Nutz Pirate Ship, there was a lot of really good ideas that I pumped into the noggin for a retrofitting.

post-17116-0-68576700-1438559548_thumb.jpg

I started out by making a much smaller carriage that could fit into a covered bed. I took the idea from the singular mortar bed and doubled up. Tiny rounded up some more watch parts which we made into a turntable. The octagon was then made to hold the mortars.

post-17116-0-46609700-1438558694_thumb.jpg

We followed up by making removable covers for both sides. Posts were added to the sides where a piece of iron passes through to hold the lids on in turbulent weather.

post-17116-0-61378600-1438558778_thumb.jpg

When the lids are removed, the mortars can then be elevated by portable wood supports.

post-17116-0-06755800-1438558817_thumb.jpg

The turntables should come in very handy for the Nutz and Bawlz Clans. Multiple targets can be hit, or a volley on one. It was decided that the tackle be stored rather than affixed, giving the viewer a more uninterrupted picture of the mortars.

post-17116-0-50154800-1438558673_thumb.jpg

Tiny and I are off to make some more weapons...

I'm always pleasantly surprised by what I see here...  always.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)