USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log

I'll second third that !!

Outstanding, Matt. The rudder assembly looks superb.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thank you George, Boyd, CaptainSteve and everyone for the likes and kind words.

First off was the making of the wheel. I'm going to make an additional post on how I made the wheel, so for now here's a view of some of the stages.

post-17116-0-26369500-1441851083_thumb.jpg

I want to thank Robb and his Scottish Maid for the inspiration of the steering system. I decided 4ft was a good size for the wheel so I made it first and built the assembly to fit it. The posts were made from 3mm x 3mm brass stock and the axis point is piano wire.

post-17116-0-72454000-1441851108_thumb.jpg

The spokes and tiller were made from bamboo. Bamboo is very strong and easy to work with as well as the light color and grain are a nice contrast. The wheel that holds the rope was turned from brass stock. The blocks were made from walnut.

post-17116-0-94514700-1441851133_thumb.jpg

I began with dry fitting everything. The tiller handle was removed and one end of the rope was seized to the handle. With the tiller put back into place, the rope was fed through the first block, wrapped around the small brass wheel twice and then fed through the second block. Everything was pulled snug, the rope wrapped around the tiller and marked where the second seizing will be.

post-17116-0-59142600-1441851205_thumb.jpg

Then everything was disassembled and the rope was seized to the tiller handle.

post-17116-0-89498800-1441851217_thumb.jpg

Next, everything was reassembled and checked thoroughly so that I was satisfied with the results. Everything was glued into place leaving the wheel to be able to freely turn.

post-17116-0-62594000-1441851226_thumb.jpg

All the clamps holding the rudder straight were removed so that it coul freely move as well.

post-17116-0-93305200-1441851255_thumb.jpg

The final step was placing my 6ft tall stick man next to the wheel to give a perspective of the size of the wheel.

post-17116-0-82584100-1441851526_thumb.jpg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

amazing work on the whole steering and wheel -- great detail and looking forward to the 'how too' post to make it.

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Wow !! Outstanding, Matt.

But ...

I want to thank Robb and his Scottish Maid for the inspiration of the steering system. I decided 4ft was a good size for the wheel so I made it first and built the assembly to fit it. Tts he posts were made from 3mm x 3mm brass stock and the axis point is piano wire.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The spokes and tiller were made from bamboo. Bamboo is very strong and easy to work with as well as the light color and grain are a nice contrast. The wheel that holds the rope was turned from brass stock. The blocks were made from walnut.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Piano wire ??

Bamboo skewers ??

Walnuts ??

I think it's off to Kit-Basher's for you my friend.

:cheers:

PS: One (and only one) tiny criticism suggestion ... I think your rope looks too new against the finely aged appearance of your Ranger. Mayhaps a slight touch o' dry-brushing with some black/grey ?? 

Or not ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Holly mackerel, absolutely superb work Matt....please do add further details on the construction :)   

My Bounty steering wheel is (well I'll be nice)....anyway, I need to build a replacement :cheers:

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

It must have taken some skilled sguirrel fingers to produce such fine bashing beauty.

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

Super looking wheel, Matt.  I can't wait to see the step-by-step also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I want to thank everyone for all the likes and kind words of encouragement. I owe my gratitude to everyone here for the daily inspirational threads. This is the jest of the wheel making process.

Reinventing the wheel. It began with picking a design I liked and then deciding how big to make it. I found this photo on Google images and liked the design. Then I put my 6ft tall stick-man on deck to determine the size. Four feet seemed a good size for a pirate cutter, scaled to 1:64 made it about 19mm. So began the layout. All adhesives are up to the makers choice. I chose CA exclusively for this item.

post-17116-0-56213600-1442022901_thumb.jpg

I chose to use bamboo since it's very easy to turn and strong for such tiny little pieces. I drew up the size I wanted and the amount of spokes there would be. Two thin rings were cut off brass stock that would lend strength and aesthetics to the wheel. Next was to cut a slice of small diameter bamboo for the center piece. The bamboo slice was then turned to thin it to the desired thickness and placed into the center of the brass ring for alignment.

post-17116-0-09549100-1442022921_thumb.jpg

After both rings were lined up, they were pinned into place. A measurement was taken for the distance between the two rings. In this case it was 6mm. Then the turning began. I took a small length of bamboo and split it into pieces that were slightly larger than my target diameter of 1,3mm. The design of the spokes were completely random and took shape as I began turning the piece. The spokes were constantly checked against the circles making sure the 2mm handles were past the brass ring, that the piece that lined up with the brass was the thickness of the brass(1mm), that the distance of 6mm were maintained and the stem stayed at least 3mm long to fit into the center wheel.

post-17116-0-27978200-1442023281_thumb.jpg

Eight holes at 0,8mm were then drilled into the center bamboo ring. After the spokes were shaped, the 3mm length of stem was then turned down to 0,8mm to fit into the drilled holes. The spoke was then cut off the stock and fit into place to determine if I liked it or not. Afterward, the fun of duplication began seven more times.

post-17116-0-84278500-1442023271_thumb.jpg

Once all eight spokes were finished, they were fit into the pre-drilled holes, making sure that the 1mm section below the handle was even with the brass ring. Now the spokes were glued into the bamboo center and to the brass ring. Cork was used between the handles on the brass for its flexibility. Oversized pieces were glued into place and trimed flush to all the spokes, followed by glueing the second brass ring on top, centered on the lower brass ring. The center of the inner bamboo ring was then cleaned up and fit with brass stock that was drilled out to fit the piano wire axis. The cork was then carefully soaked with CA to harden it, and once dry trimed flush to both sides of the brass.

post-17116-0-53212500-1442023295_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-13984200-1442029697_thumb.jpg

Everything was then cleaned up and fine tuned before the brass was blackened with Casey's Brass Black. I used the same method of antiquing that I use on the cannons and other brass fittings.

post-17116-0-69150500-1442030019_thumb.jpg

The process was fairly time consuming and far to long to describe in every detail. If there's anything to question, feel free to ask.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks for sharing this Matt! I'm sure a lot of people will find this useful.  I know I will! 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Just caught up with your build.  I love all the character you've built into her.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Just beautifully done, Matt !!

And faaar better looking than any kit-supplied wheel I've seen before.

(Now, if you will excuse me, I do believe I dropped my jaw a couple of posts back ...)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thank you George, Bob, CaptainSteve, Robb and everyone for the encouragement and likes.

I'm kind of hooked on the PML Robb. I use the Dremel flex shaft in one hand and a file in the other. I have a lamp/magnifying glass combo that I position half way to my work and spin away as I sit there relaxing.☺️

The 32pound carronade has reached it's final destination.

post-17116-0-62916700-1442922632_thumb.jpg

It took awhile to decide on the cleat design and location. After all, the Nutz and Bawlz Clans wanted their pirate ship to have that unique feel. So they decided on a bamboo rod that was supported by two iron brackets.

post-17116-0-97391300-1442922495_thumb.jpg

The cap rail in front of the carronade had to be cut since it ended up being at the center of the bore. It eventually would have been shot off, so it was removed and braces were fit to strengthen the rail.

post-17116-0-75439300-1442922578_thumb.jpg

The big guns are now complete, leaving the many swivel guns yet to be made. The firepower seem sufficient enough to take on whatever is thrown at the squirrel horde.

post-17116-0-70581700-1442922522_thumb.jpg

Looking good Matt!  A formidable set-up! And would also give the ship a little extra propulsion from the re-coil when fired.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Beautiful workmanship.  Lots of rigging in such a small space.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

WOW!!!

Love the work on the carronade.

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Great work, Matt !! I really like the ageing job you've done on her.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thank you Jack, George, Bob, David, captgino, Steve and everyone for the encouragement and likes.

For the channels I decided to make it with brass and wood. The brass was soldered into a square pan and then blackened. The wood part was made out of some scraps of bookend veneer. There were some interesting chunks that feel like cork and crumbled really easy. So the small chunks were fit together, glued onto a solid strip of veneer, filled in with sawdust and then sanded. It looks pretty cool on the big piece, however the pieces were so small in the channels that they're hard to see very well.

post-17116-0-84516900-1443387794_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-84172300-1443387806_thumb.jpeg

The 5mm deadeyes were turned from a solid piece of dark walnut. I used a 0,8mm brass wire to wrap the deadeyes, making the chain plates two parts, with a hook on the deadeye and a length of brass to connect it with the mounting bracket.

post-17116-0-01945700-1443387847_thumb.jpegpost-17116-0-85795200-1443387824_thumb.jpeg

Once the channels and chain plates were blacked, they were fastened to the cap rail. I made four 5mm x 3,5mm double blocks out of walnut veneer and mounted them beside the deadeyes on the channels. It looked a little out of balance, so I extended a length of rope to parallel the chain plates. Historically inaccurate, but this is the Nutz and Bawlz Clans' pirate ship, so liberties are more than acceptable.

post-17116-0-79280700-1443387863_thumb.jpeg

Nice work scratch-building the channels and chain-plates Matt!  Wood AND brass channels, complete with rivets.  Hats off!!  post-12186-0-87676800-1443395388.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Thanks George and everyone for the likes.

post-17116-0-80083400-1443800713_thumb.jpeg

post-17116-0-78542800-1443800724_thumb.jpeg

post-17116-0-95620500-1443800737_thumb.jpeg