USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log

Yes, I know the feeling well.  

I had another revelation after re-reading The Armed Transport Bounty last night....here comes another 100 hour plus addition to my build once I figure out how to do it  :cheers:   

That pump is simply amazing  :)

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Thanks Robb, and don't feel bad about or quit soldering. I'm pretty new at soldering, so I squeeze every drop of patience I have to work with. My elm tree pump took place over a 24 hour make, make a little more, ruin it and start over. Especially some of these tiny little pieces! Every time you solder, you will improve. Your woodworking ability show how detail oriented you are. Keep soldering!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

You know that one can actually shoot one of those cannons.Years ago my son and I loaded up a model 24 brass cannon with old fashioned white match heads. Rammed  down a section of a 1/4" dowel. pointed it away of course. Than poked a red hot needle down the touch hole.Well that dowel went into a plastered wall. My wife and daughter soon put an end to that. Inside the house of course. but out side ....stand clear

S.O.S

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Thanks to everyone for the likes and kind words of support.

Since the elm tree pump, Harry has been hard pressed to design the deck fittings. Red and Woodie have had the crew running hard, too much down time and tensions grow between the Clans.

So I've been mentoring Tiny as he helped me do some work on the windlass. At first we were going to make it mostly out of brass, but ended up with a multitude of different items. Walnut was chosen and the turning began. The small brass gears were obtained from some watch parts. The gear itself was actually used to cut the groove, and once the spokes were removed, the gears were cut and wrapped into the groove.

post-17116-0-14425900-1436054365_thumb.jpg

After this, whelps were cut and glued into place. While Tiny trimmed the whelps flush, I soldered two flat pieces of metal to the ratchet gear and filed them down to just above flush.

post-17116-0-10514500-1436054375_thumb.jpg

The end spools were turned and fitted with brass nails. The main cylinder was cut in half and joined back together with the ratchet gear in the middle. The bits were then made and holes were drilled through the deck for fastening.

post-17116-0-90289300-1436054383_thumb.jpg

The brass rod was cut to length and the nail were pressed into the tube, affixing it to the bits.

post-17116-0-31776600-1436054400_thumb.jpg

Previous to this, the main section of the bowsprit was made from walnut and fitted with bits that were fastened to the deck.

post-17116-0-47664700-1436054411_thumb.jpg

The pawl assembly along with the hand pumps are still in the making. So for now this is how the Nutz ship is sitting. The crew has been set loose on the town to enjoy this sunny 4th of July, while me and Tiny head out to test fire some cannons.

post-17116-0-75101400-1436054422_thumb.jpg

To everyone: enjoy your 4th of July and stay safe.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Glad to see you back at it Matt despite some minor distractions. Thanks for posting the "how-to's" and the pics, as they're a big help and a load of knowledge, especially for beginners like me.  

Happy 4th to you my friend, and careful with those explosives! They could give you a couple acres!   :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Impressive work as always Matt.  I love the aging of the wood and all the bits and pieces going on.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's always a joy to watch you and the boys at work. I can hardly wait to see your next work of art.

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

The Nutz brothers have done a mighty impressive job on that windlass, Matt.

I'd be letting them out for the rest of the weekend as a reward. 

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Matt, the windlass looks great. Kudoes to you and the crew.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks George, Mark, Bob, CaptainSteve, Sam, Ken, Mr.Angus and everyone for the likes and words of encouragement.

Some how I managed to spend the entire day yesterday making the purchase arms and links, as well as a samson post. I might be on this for a bit.

Thanks for the likes.

Thanks Buck, look what you got me into!

Well this little windlass is taking awhile so I'm doing an update of the weeks adventures.

First on the agenda was to move the windlass back 12inches. I won't say who(Harry), but no room was left for the samson post which has the pawl and hand pump assembly.

post-17116-0-13218200-1436670026_thumb.jpg

The pawl was made by soldering three brass strips that extended through a small, rectangled brass stock. The pivot arm was attached atop the samson post and fitted with links to attach to the purchase arms.

post-17116-0-61690400-1436670017_thumb.jpg

Next, the purchase arms were made from thin brass tubing and were beaten into submission. Solid brass rods were inserted into the ends to accept more links. Finally, the purchase arm were attached to the rear of the windlass with a tiny pin nail and secured with a drop of CA.

post-17116-0-13638700-1436670035_thumb.jpg

After much painful eye straining, final adjustments were made and the links were joined together. Next was making the detachable pump handles. While there was wood being turned, I made a couple of belaying pins to check for fit and appearance.

post-17116-0-07705200-1436670261_thumb.jpg

In this trial fit of the handles, they proved to be too short. So extensions were added to the handles to achieve the desired length.

post-17116-0-10360400-1436670342_thumb.jpg

Everything fit well in the end, even the first of many belaying pins.

post-17116-0-20626400-1436670050_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the handles in the up and down position, which are the only moving parts to the windlass.

post-17116-0-05820400-1436670329_thumb.jpg

Here's a penny for reference. I still plan to add whipping to the handles and a bracket on the front of the samson post to hold the handles when not in use. Also in debate is blackening or not. Might be awhile before that's figured out.

Hi Matt,

Well you have 1c there already, but my 2c view is spectacular work by the entire Nutz team! 

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Adding my two cents worth to bring you up to a dime ....

Beautiful job by the crew there, Matt. I reckon I'd give serious thought to leaving the whole assembly with a brass look.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Spectacular work there by you and the Nutz bros Matt!  :dancetl6:  You really out-did yourselves with that windlass. I agree with Steve on the blackening. It'd be a shame to cover all the beautiful brass-work there.  :rolleyes:

Cheers post-12186-0-42517400-1436704790.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Matt, get an Optivisor or a good sized magnifying lens on a flexible arm, with lighting built into it. I use both, depending on the job. You only get one set of those eyeballs; don't screw them up. :(

I like the look of the bare brass work, but unfortunately the stuff tarnishes. Unless the clans can get in there to keep it polished, I'd blacken it. :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

That's one fun and imaginative windlass at any size. I'm amazed at your detailing at this size!

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

That is a sweet windlass... and things work... <drops jaw>

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ken's got a point there Matt. As nice as it looks, brass will tarnish. -- Unless, of course, tarnishing's a look you might want in the end.  B)

Cheers post-12186-0-95158900-1436735452.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Nigel, CaptainSteve, George, Sam, Buck, Ken, Bob and Mark thank you guys for your kind and encouraging remarks. Thanks for the 'likes' as well.

I'm just a click away from the Optivisor. We're in the process of upsizing our living situation. I'm shooting for a room, shed corner of the garage, I want a space just for boat work. So when this happens I plan to do some upgrades to assist me before I break. Do you guys remember how I did the mortars? I blackened them and then ran a buffing wheel over them to blend off the darkness. This may be how I do it?

post-17116-0-15946000-1436737526_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-82591600-1436737553_thumb.jpg

It kinda gave it an antique look. Also the shine seems to blur pics. Hey Cathead, thanks. Since my phone is my mobile computer that's always with me, I rarely get to see what a full screen looks like.

I do like the look of the "antiqued" brass.  I believe there's times when artistic license has to over-ride historical accuracy.  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I could always put it in a birdcage down by the beach for a couple of years!?

Edited by matt.s.s.