USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log

What they did looks great Matt!  I know what you mean about brain-block.  In times like that try adding Red Bull instead of water in their morning coffee, and watch 'em go!!   :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Boyd, Ken, George and for the likes.

I tell ya, 1:64 is requiring a new learning curve from the 1:16. Like Boyd said on his build, seems like there's way more time spent researching and calculating than actual build time. Thanks for the pep talk guys!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Finally, the Nutz and Bawlz Clans managed to finish up their work on the companionway! Harry and Salty seemed to be on one page, while Woodie and Red were on another. After much debate, all decided to scratch the wooden lid and go with a metal one.

post-17116-0-85729000-1434328555_thumb.jpg

Since functionality and strength were of the utmost priority, the lid needed a slide that would be small and practical. So a rod was affixed to the underside of the lid, which passed through a hole that was drilled through a bracket located on the roof. After this, attention was directed to the doors.

The minions were sent off to dig through the piles of watch parts in search of screws and anything that could be made into a latch(thanks to CaptainSteve and his tip on 'steampunk'). Woodie and Red looked through all the items and picked out a set of screws and a chunk of watch guts that fit nicely. Holes were drilled and fitted with the watch parts, and all agreed that this would do just fine.

post-17116-0-49130300-1434328566_thumb.jpg

The rest of the crew were then directed to finish the metal. All parts were blackened and, after drying, painted black. Once the paint was dry, the companionway was fitted to the deck. Harry and Salty were very pleased with crews work, so a triple ration of rum was ordered for all. Now everyone has to agree on what to build next.

post-17116-0-65360600-1434328577_thumb.jpg

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Well I'm glad the boys are working good together Matt. B)   They did a great job and deserved the extra ration of grog. :cheers:   Hope they feel alright tomorrow.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Fantastic work on the new all-metal hatchway, Matt !!

But I think you are gunna need a lot of luck to get all members of both clans to agree on anything ...

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Very well done on the companionway. Love the hasp! :dancetl6:

Hope the only thing hurt was some feelings. May make it hard to get the clans to agree to much after that.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks George, CaptainSteve, Ken and everyone for the likes.

George, it's a good thing that most of the crew are Irish. They tend to reserve a small portion for their morning 'hair of the dog'. Mixed with tomato juice of course.

CaptainSteve, I think the key is to keep the clans on separate projects most of the day. Red's cousin Rosie, along with her five sisters, have been bringing lunch to the crew the last couple of weeks. For now, the boys have been trying to not act up, hoping to impress the girls. But with that, I'm sure the time will come when dueling will need to be organized and contained within an octagon.

Ken I don't worry too much about the constant bickering. It's the guys in the background that are quiet and keep to themselves that concern me.

Edited by matt.s.s.

Thanks Bob and great video! This is my first 'off the chart' ship so the nonexistent Ranger seemed to be a good kit to bash the heck out of. The only thing left of the original kit is the frame. It's been an interesting ride and 'nutty' is what it's become. Stop in anytime.

Mark, getting caught up here. This is one imaginative build, on par with Keith's DSOTM build (madchemmist) I've been enjoying the antics of the Nut Bro's as well as the process.

And absolutely watch out for the quiet ones in the corner. He's the one who will be mixing rum, Redbull and gunpowder in the most unique ways.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Since I am the one in charge of supplying the various weapons, Harry questioned me as to where/when/what's going on. I had to be careful with my answer because most of the crew were either hung over from the triple ration of rum or jacked up on caffeine. So I explained to him that I need to know my parameters. The Nutz and Bawlz Clans need to fit the deck with all the necessities, then I can plan a layout for the big guns.

So he, Red and Woodie have set out to reign in the rabble and focus on the deck. As of this eve, things seem to be going well. With the companionway in place, along with the temporary placement of mast guides, they turned out a nice start with two pin rails/racks. We'll see if this progress continues and if peace can be maintained...
post-17116-0-70348400-1434590828_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-69167200-1434590847_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear there were no serious casualties with the boys and their time off Matt. Just wondering if Harry, Red and Woodie have a plan as to how the bowsprit will be installed?

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Hey George. As far as I know, the bowsprit is one of the items listed as 'needs to be retrofitted'.

Apparently the two protruding pieces of lumber are going to become part of the bowsprit. The concern Harry has is, if/when ramming an enemy, the bowsprit could be damaged. Hence, while being functional, care will be taken to make this design pleasing to the eyes.

Since it was decided to expose the inside to the viewers, many items on deck will require extensive planing to include what's below deck(kitchen, elm tree pump, etc.) This will require all hands on deck, so the main focus will be avoiding confrontations. The cauldron will also be changed to allow for looted items to be lowered below deck. This requires a davit that can be unshipped when not in use. I think I'm going to have to make a list of what needs to be done, as CaptainSteve has done before.

Harry, Woodie and Red decided that after a long week, the Nutz and Bawlz deserved a break. Tensions seemed to be rising towards the end of the week so they're being proactive to avoid any conflicts. I can assure everyone, you don't want to be around when the Nutz and Bawlz decide to start wailing on each other!

I had every intention of playing Dragon Age Inquisition all day today, however, I ended up finding some drawings of an elm tree pump on Harry's desk. Since I was set up to work on cannons later in the day, I figured what the heck? This'll give me more practice soldering smaller parts.

post-17116-0-35010800-1434857987_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-79934900-1434856683_thumb.jpg

First off I converted everything to 1:64. I sent Tiny over to the metal heap and had him bring me a bunch of different sizes and shapes. He did a nice job so I decided to start teaching him how to solder. I thought this would help him rise in rank and not be one of the little Bawlz, getting kicked around all the time. It's time for him to become one of the Big Bawlz.

While I started cutting parts to size, Tiny got everything set up for soldering. After a couple of hours, he was doing exceptional work. As he finished each task, I would take it and shape it for the next piece. This went on all day until the final piece was fitted and soldered.post-17116-0-59212100-1434856694_thumb.jpg

Together we carefully sanded and polished every piece...

post-17116-0-54445600-1434856708_thumb.jpg

...and then set out to assemble the parts.

post-17116-0-65705400-1434856726_thumb.jpg

At this point we made sure that all the moving parts functioned. We had to tweak a couple parts and now it's fit to be installed.

post-17116-0-51477200-1434856741_thumb.jpg

I think I'll use Tiny more often now that see how well he works.

Yike... I didn't realize on the other topic that it works too....   Boggles the mind it does.   Give the guys an extra ration of acorns for that one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pretty sweet there Matt! Tiny's going to be a great helper. Be careful though! When the big Bawls boys get wind of the special attention you're paying Tiny, they're going to be kicking him around for sure. You might have to put him in protective custody.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Well done on the pump. You make a good team. :dancetl6:

May have to play guardian angel for a while with Tiny or them big Bawlz will ruin the lad. ;)

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Hey Mark, thank you for your uplifting words. Almost every time I'm searching for answers, either here or on the web, it always seems to lead back to you. Your knowledge boggles my mind!

Hey Buck, I'm reaching for your coat tails but can't get a grip yet! Your lantern man, so awesome!

Hey George, I'd love to have a great morning once in awhile. Is it too much to ask for? Tiny, he PC'd up the second he realized I threw him in with the big Bawlz! I think he liked being 'Tiny', I bet he'll get a new name soon!

Hey Ken, I'm not sure his life ain't ruined already with the name Tiny! I'll try to keep the big Bawlz at bay for now, but sooner or later, he's gotta be a man.

Yeah------I was thinking of having that one blown up and framed, then properly located in the apartment as a pre-notification for company.   :D  :D

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Beautiful work on your pump, Matt !!
I think Tiny is in his element ... especially doing the detailing on the smaller parts. I reckon he'll come good.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks CaptainSteve, I'll try to teach him to be nice but with a 'don't make me mad' attitude!

Trap him & eat it. :o  No, better yet, just bury the little rodent. :huh: 

Tried 'skrat once, a swamp delicacy along the Delaware. Too greasy for even a fighter pilot's ( or a Marine's) unrefined palate. ;) 

Just shoot the varmints and be done with the lot! :P

Edited by Canute

Ken

Thanks Buck, the work you've done has been such an inspiration. I've been really lucky to have a boss and fellow workers that aren't satisfied with "OK". Everyone everywhere has the potential of being great at what they do. It's all about doing your best, not being the best. It's really awe inspiring to look around at all the builds here, seeing work at everyone's best.

Thanks Boyd, back at at ya. Many a night I've been sitting here with the notion of getting something built. I go to do one little thing and realize there's way more to do that expected. This has left me with filling my brain with ideas that will hopefully "click" at the same time. CaptainSteve's Kit Bashers Guide has me looking at the world with new eyes, seeing the ordinary as extraordinary.