USS Ranger by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Corel SM55 - 1:64 - 4th build, 2nd build log

Pumice and rags for Droopie. Wax on wax off for that ne'er do well.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I got the second mortar barrel done today. Then I drilled 1/16in holes at their base for adding trunions. Finally, I cut off the stem/holder and finished by sanding of the spots where the stem/holder was cut off.

post-17116-0-11547000-1430195803_thumb.jpg

I'm only making the two mortars, but will be making the five carriages. This is, again, because I'm sure they're not all going to make it.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Great looking mini mortars Matt! Can I ask where you're picking up all of the brass stock you've been working with?

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hey George, I get them on eBay under K & S tube assortment #320. I think they're 2 or 3 bucks for a little pack. I think I bought 10 so I could get a large variety. It seems like I end up paying 2 or 3 bucks on just one length of brass at the hobby shop so I've saved a lot in the long run.

I finished the 1:16 sea mortar today so here's the pics. I really had to experiment on coloring the precast metal. Paint wouldn't stick, aluminum black barely did anything. My final try ended up combining them both.

I scraped off all the black paint except for the grooves and then did the aluminum black. Once the black swirl started I dampened it a couple more times and let it dry. Came out a bronzy rust color. Then when I did the final touch up with Early American Minwax, I applied it to the metal parts and this is what I got.

post-17116-0-06675000-1430270035_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-33934900-1430270049_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-77527700-1430270062_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-05599100-1430270074_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-51511200-1430270088_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-30380600-1430270103_thumb.jpg

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks Matt! I see a lot of metal fab in my future.  :D  Your mortar and the metal-work look awesome man. Heck you could just launch a ball to the water in front of your target, and the resulting tsunami would drown 'em.  :D

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Thank you George, and thanks to those who punch the like button.

When I was searching google images for sea mortars, I found functioning mini mortars and DIY pirate cannons! Now I know what to bring next time me and Jordan head out for a few days! Lookout sagebrush and bunnies!

Lemme just echo George's words above ... that mortar is todally awesome !!!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Matt, that mortar looks great! Well done.

You might look at Birchwood Casey and Bluejacket to blacken brass and pewter metals. Paint adds a layer on top of the metal; these color the metal. They both make blackening liquids for some different metals. You may find the Birchwood Casey stuff at a gun shop; they're gunsmithing supplies.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Thank you CaptainSteve, Ken and for those who liked this little side project.

You know CaptainSteve, I did to the mortar carriage what I didn't have the courage to do to my launch. I was to concerned about ruining the launch, that I went easy on the aging. This one I just attacked that sucker with a file like I was fighting a barbarian horde of mutant beavers!

Thanks for the info Ken, I've not heard of Bluejacket. I have the Casey's brand of Brass Black and Aluminum Black they alone didn't hardly touch it. Is that what the precast metals are, pewter? I haven't had much luck at the local gun shops or hobby stores, so I'll check eBay for the Bluejacket. Thanks

Thank George and MrBlueJacket for the link, I'll have to get some now.

Thanks Boyd, I'll take some pics when I get home with a size reference. I'm still using my poor mans lathe, a dremel. I have been seriously looking for one and have possibly set my sights on a watchmakers lathe. Of course I'd love a full size machinist lathe...someday, someday. I just need to get one in my hand before I decide, but that's a future day. The other option is to make my own, one that would be specific to modeling, small and portable.

Thank George and MrBlueJacket for the link, I'll have to get some now.

Thanks Boyd, I'll take some pics when I get home with a size reference. I'm still using my poor mans lathe, a dremel. I have been seriously looking for one and have possibly set my sights on a watchmakers lathe. Of course I'd love a full size machinist lathe...someday, someday. I just need to get one in my hand before I decide, but that's a future day. The other option is to make my own, one that would be specific to modeling, small and portable.

Matt, I've been looking for a lathe as well, and the one that has peaked my interest the most, is the Rikon Model # 70-100 Mini Lathe. It comes with 16" between centers, completely extendable, with 24" bed extensions available, and infinitely, (meaning you can add multiple extensions). It's well made and comes with a 5 year warranty for $400. Weighs 72 lbs.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Hey George, if that were in a bag, would it be considered a carry on?

Here you go Boyd.

post-17116-0-96264800-1430341160_thumb.jpg

Matt,

Wow, I didn't pay attention to the size of the Ranger...a challenge to be sure at 18 inches.  

FYI - I actually started the Mamoli Lexington (also 18 inches) and put it down after planking the hull because I wanted something larger for my first completed build.  At some point I'll probably go back and finish her as you're doing with the Ranger.

Thanks very much for the picture, it definitely puts things into perspective...I've seen some very very small chains at the jewelers :)

Boyd

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

I did a longboat at 1:48, then a pinnace at 1:24, and got spoiled with the launch and sea mortar at 1:16. So it's taking some time to get used to 1:64. One thing that's helped on my launch and this one was to make a scaled ruler. It's not for precision just a reference when you're going off script. It's definitely a game shifter.

Great idea on the ruler, Matt. I'm thinking of picking up a couple of early 19th Century sailors to use as a rough scale guide. But I'm having difficulties locating a press-gang to aid with recruitment.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I'm trying to remember how tall a pooper-trooper was.

Lads, 1:64 scale is called S Scale by model railroaders. See if you can find a model railroad ruler. It has 1:48 (O - think Lionel),1:64(S - think American Flyer trains), 1:87(HO) and 1:160(N). Also has inches and mm scales and a drilling and tapping guide(lists drills for several screw sizes). Handy measuring tool. Make sure you read it the correct way.

Ken

Excellent Ken, thank you. I kinda thought there would be a model scale ruler, like a drafting ruler with six separate increments. I gotta hit the hobby shop today so I'll check it out.

Matt, mine is a 12" stainless steel ruler by General. And it has a chart with number drills from 1 to 80 and their decimal inch sizes.

Ken

Matt,

You need to hit an office supply store with drafting supplies.   Otherwise, Google is your friend:  https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=scale+ruler

Edit:  Nevermind those... I found this:   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/304-conversion-chart/

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, that's a perfect conversion chart.

I'm usually converting from real life to scale, or one scale to another so my Harbor Freight $5 digital caliper with mm/inch readout comes in handy, especially turning those little cannons.

Guess I hit a funny bone there. ;)  Thanks, ya'll. :dancetl6:

Well, the train scratch builders are fading, so tools like scale rules are in short supply. :( Too many model railroaders prefer "ready to run" stuff. Open box, put on tracks. Yawn, no pride in actually building something. Instant gratification only. I think they'd have a coronary if they perused the beautiful stuff over here. :rolleyes: Their loss. I love working in wood, though I wish I was a little neater applying glue. Guess I just need to keep on building. :P

Ken

There's actually several model ship shops here, but they're all built, no kits! Like you said instant gratification!

Ken, I think you're probably right about scratch building (or lack of) in model Railroads.  Don't get me started on the RR hobby....a magnificent money pit to be sure  :)

Mark, thanks for the link to the conversion chart  :)

Matt, I'm wrestling with scale on my Bounty build as we speak....I'm down a couple of detail rabbit holes thanks to you and CaptainSteve :cheers:  

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

I'm still looking for it, but I think what I'm looking for was lost in the crash.  Someone posted a set of scales (1:48, 1:64 and 1:96) that could be printed out.  I can't even find on my computer, but then again, my computer is like my workshop so the file is probably on the floor somewhere.

Ah...going to ask in Nautical Discussion.  It's a great tool.  Print it out, glue it down to piece of wood.. and voila'... ruler.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)