This is really interesting. The amount of work that goes into this is astounding. Thanks again for keeping the flow of info. I think I could do with a an extra few gig in my own head to help me -- and that's just with figuring out the wooden ship!

Tony

Awesome stuff!  I only wish I had the time to learn to use this stuff - provides a fantastic method to visualize the actual workings of the ship.  These must take you an amazing amount of time and effort to produce?

It's a passion, the 3D modelling as well as the age of sail topic. Time does not count. Moreover I am at it since 2008 (!) with long periods of inactivity.

• 7 months later...

I can't imagine the challenges in building these 3d models in a computer. They always seem to look a little off. I think I figured out why. Watching one view from the stbd bow, I noticed that even though the ship seems to move in a realistic manner, the camera angle gives it away as CG. The ship moves about a certain point and the camera is fixed to that point. There's no rise and fall of the ship, just a camera that seems attached to a point on the ship as she moves. The detail in these views is awesome. I loved watching  them and have gone through each a number of times now. Beautiful work. 

Magnus,

I'm glad you found MSW.  I found your 3D build a couple of years back and was really impressed.  I'm even more impressed now!

(I did also pinch and early pic to use as an avatar, since I'm building her in wood at the moment).

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody,

my longtime project gained some speed at the beginning of the year. My intention to bring a crew to the model now becomes reality. I had to solve some difficult problems but here the first test-render gives some evidence what might come across during the year ... all just a matter of spare time ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tXKjxNYdI5Q

• 3 weeks later...

This is another study that depicts the garment of an officer. Attention goes to the movement of the coattails. Implies a complicated workflow across cinema 4D, Marvelous Designer and DAZ 3D Studio. The principles are there but still a long way to go ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTUMZjEG4yU

(The clip loops ...)

Edited by Magnus

The videos of the sailors walking is amazing but it doesn't look natural. I think the problem I noticed and this is just a observation is the hips appear to be stationary. When we walk and place our right or left foot in front of us our hip for that particular leg drops accordingly. I have no idea if that motion is possible to animate or how difficult it might be to do. Still, it's pretty amazing.

Current project: Retired

www.howefamily.com

Shure, it is just a quick test where I did put some things together. The software DAZ 3D Studio has a strong engine to create 3D characters and animations. The garment is done in another program called "Marvelous Designer". Finally all comes together in my main 3D software "Cinema 4D". The exchange of data (geometry and motion) between the applications alone is an effort in its own. The little videos just give evidence that things work in principle. It is not a meaningful animation. By the end of the year I might have things in place to produce more appealing results. Still have issues ahead of me in the area of simulating "Hair" and of course convincing animations ...

Edited by Magnus

He looks a little like Trevor Howard who starred as the Captain of the Bounty in the movie Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando

Unintended ... but it fits as the Pandora was in search of the bounty mutineers :)  Without captain Bligh though but a similar story about the rescue of the crew with a long journey in the boats after the ship was wrecked on the great barrier reef.

Edited by Magnus

• 3 weeks later...

Latest achievements go here ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9glpb--vOik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XNVUUidHKls

Two more tests of my advancing character animation. The workflow and setup is almost complete. The texturing of the coat is still missing. Credits for modelling of headwear, wig and under-garment goes to Varsels from sharecg.com. The officers coat, its fittings and the overall composition and animation setup is my own creation.

Edited by Magnus

• 4 weeks later...

Thats amazing, I love the detail of the clothes how they get tiny bend while moving. Although it seems that the back of the bottom left of thejacket has a slight problem, it seems that the loop isn t done perfectly. The jacket `jumps in and out of place.

Thank you for the observation. You hit the nail on the head.

If you see him walking for a couple of seconds it is a repitition of just one same cycle done multiple times.

The cycle has a so called backed animation of the coat. A recording of each position of each vertice 30 times in a second! It comes from the organic simulation against a series of repetitive walkcycles. I am using the software "marvelous designer" for this. It creates a mass of data.

Having this backing being done for many of seamless loops would be to costly in terms of computer resources.

Now, having the one cycle, it cannot be granted that the status of the clothing (hundreds if not thousands of vertices) at the beginning of the cycle is exactly the same as at the end of the cycle. 

The simulation itself does not reproduce the same status at two different points in time.

The only thing I can do at the moment is having a simulation of a series of cycles and cut out the two points in time that resemble each other as good as possible. There will always be a slight "jumping".

Of course there might be possibilites in the area of morphing but I don't want to dig into this topic ...

• 2 weeks later...

Much progress now. Optimized my workflow, lots of polishing on the textures and a naval sword added. The sword was a real challenge. Modeling and texturing done from scratch. The Inclusion into the animation and non-collision with the coat needed to be solved. Could further be improved but I am satisfied with the result by now. Will see what comes next. A royal marine maybe. Might even be more demanding as they have a lot of fittings at them. Will also have to start creating animations. The current walkcycle is just a test. A very long way to go until my ship model will be populated with officers, marines, midshipmen, boatswains, masters, able seamen, carpenter, cook, purser, ... 

link:

http://youtu.be/Y0167QDMckg

Thanks ... I am using Maxon cinema 4D which is a full blown modeller suite. Unfortunately in a similar price range like 3DS Max and Maya. Blender is a great tool though. I tried it out for a while. It seems to be optimized for character modelling. The interface is a little bit "unusual" and it is lacking a logical editor like C4D has it. Guess in Blender you need to do scripting in python when C4D still offers a wide range of possibilities in its logical editor "XPresso" ... C4D has python as well in addition to its legacy scripting language COFFEE (resembles Java Script). The sword took me around 2 days ... The lion piece I have from turbosquid. I just adapted it to the handle.

Edited by Magnus

Amazing work Magnus. When I watch the character walk from the front or rear and I pay attention to his feet the camera (floor) seems to be moving left and right. When I watch from the side at his feet it looks like he is walking on a tread mill. The only other observation I would make are the hands, he looks like he is ready to draw a gun.  You may have mentioned this before but where did you get the measurements for the uniform? Are you just using photos and existing paintings?

Current project: Retired

www.howefamily.com

The character consists of an internal joint or bone system. The bones form a skeleton. Each bone is animated over time. Translations (positions) and rotations (angles) have values for each frame with 30 frames per second. With all bones interacting properly. Fingers have them as well but here these bones are not animated. The bone system is wrapped with the polygons of the character. Each bone has a defined impact on a group of near polygons.

I did remove the translation on the top element, the hip. Otherwise my character would walk out of the screen.

I have a lot of books about the age-of-sail topic. Most of them from Conway. Here I did use "The Trafalgar Companion" by Mark Adkin. Although not exactly the same period as HMS Pandora ... Page 128 has the captain undress uniform and from page 197 onwards it has nice illustrations ...

post-3116-0-01541000-1408382163_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here we have my first try with facial morphing. The Program DAZ 3D has rich functionality to set it up quickly and easily.

Link to movie:

... I am aware that the whole thing is getting a little bit out of topic for ship modelling ... but finally all will come together.

Edited by Magnus

... this crabby guy did pose for a further test yesterday. I managed to export "morphs" from DAZ to C4D. A morph is a special technical construct that moves points from one position to another position over time by means of a handle that controls the extend of the move. This saves resources. Not each position of each point in each frame (30 per second) needs to be stored but the position of the handle.

link:

http://youtu.be/AR59fD3n1z8

Edited by Magnus

Amazing stuff, Magnus.  I looked over your Youtube posts and saw some stuff I've missed.  You're modeling work is incredible.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...