Cross Section suggestions

bjamesjr

My apologies if this has been asked before and I suspect I might open a can of worms asking this LOL

I am looking at kits of cross sections and have not really found that many. I do have the Artesania/Latina San Fransisco cross section but I am looking for any that are even better. I have seen ones for the HMS Victory (bow and center cross section) and a few others,

What I am looking for is recommendations. I'm a decent intermediate ship builder but really experienced in RC Plane building (kits not ARF's).

I would like names of kits and the mfg of the kit. The plan is to do a cross section then the full version of whatever cross section I decide on and then display them together. It would be nice if the cross section and full kit are from the same mfg but from what I have found so far, that might not be possible

-Bill

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over

Hi there:

If you're looking for a cross-section/full ship pairing then the options are pretty limited I think. Corel puts out a Victory mid-ship cross section and a 1:100 scale full model. However the Caldercraft Victory (1:72) comes more highly recommended by most kit modellers (and is much larger). Mamoli used to offer a Constitution cross-section and a full model, but sadly their operation in Milan was victim of a fire last year and their stock might be harder to find.....

OcCre offers a Santisima Trinidad and a cross-section.....Also Panart offers a bow section of Victory for which there's a build log here on MSW I believe. I'm sure other members can point towards other pairings.....

Of course if you wanted to scratch build something, the options get more plentiful, but also a lot more difficult, time consuming and expensive.....

Hope this was of some help.....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

There is the Triton online group build here at MSW for scratching.  There's also the Granado cross-section which is again scratch.  I'd offer that you take a look at those and think about it.  The plans are already done and there's a lot of support in the build logs for them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You can check out the Granado Cross-section (scratch) from the link in my signature block below. If you want a full model as well, Caldercraft/Jotika do a nice kit.

I appreciate everyones suggestions and it is pretty much what I found out that my options were limited, but I never considered a scratch build, hmmmmm the possibilities sound intriguing 

-Bill

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over

I'm thinking of the Echo cross-section as my first p.o.f build - my list of Christmas presents just keeps getting longer!!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

And there is the Echo cross-section scratch build as well - check that out!

I just got done checking that one out, seems like a great starting point for a first scratch build. I have a post over in Greg's thread there asking Greg a few quick cost questions

-Bill

If it is of interest, OcCre do a cross section of the Santisima Trinidad (which I am building at the moment) and also a full size model at the same scale of the same boat. I am a big fan of OcCre kits as their quality and instructions seem better than most. Hope this is helpful.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

• 2 weeks later...

I am building the Victory centre x-section and have ran into a few issues with it...nothing I couldnt fix, but a bit disappointing. The main hull section was distorted and needed filing and filling to square up. I bought the 'anatomy of the ship' book on Victory, did a bit of browsing on here, and found some errors on both the drawings and the contents. If you google for victory x-sections you can find the same notes. Other than that I am now cracking on with the rigging and have learnt a few pitfalls along the way that I can avoid on the next build... next is Santisima Trinidad, which to be honest seems the better buy.