Gaetan Bordeleau

How 3D plans could be helpful for a modeler

My perception of 3D model ship changed with the years. Even if I am not able to draw 3D I have admiration for those who can do it.

Here is what I would like to do if I knew how to do it. I would like to have the 3D  model ship I am  building  actually in wood.

I do not know if what I write is a stupid idea but here is how a 3D model could help me:

Let's take an example: I am building a keel for the 74  guns. It is difficult to visualize how will the planking will touch the keel and in which angle.

With access to the 3D model, it would be possible to visualize the keel as a finish product and rotate it as we wish to see details.

I suppose I would need a program to open these files, but as an addition to the plans, I would love to buy such 3D plans.

tkay11, thibaultron and mtaylor like this

One problem may be the potential for piracy as this would mean that you could download or copy such plans.

It's great that Ed Tosti has been able to provide 2D frame plans on CD for the Naiad, but there don't seem to be many that are prepared to do this, .

So for me it's not just having 3D plans that would be useful. I'd love a solution to the provision of 2D plans on CD because I find the business of undoing the distortions caused by photocopying (for cutting frames, for example) to be a real hassle.

Tony

mtaylor and thibaultron like this

Excellent topic, Gaetan. We are in the process of having our Swan class builds rendered as 3D illustrations, a step by step building log to be used in conjuction with our Swan class books. This should make the construction of one of these models significantly easier. Stay tuned...

MEDDO, tkay11, druxey and 3 others like this

7 minutes ago, dvm27 said:

Excellent topic, Gaetan. We are in the process of having our Swan class builds rendered as 3D illustrations, a step by step building log to be used in conjuction with our Swan class books. This should make the construction of one of these models significantly easier. Stay tuned...

That is excellent news Greg. I'll be really interested. After a few more years of progressive kit bashing I am looking forward to my eventual Swan/Comet build. (I really like the look of the Comet)

mtaylor likes this

Creating a good 3D model is basically the same as building most things, you make the detail parts, build sub-assy's, then put them all together into the main assembly. The time required to create a 3D model of this complexity from scratch would take at least as long, if not longer, than building the real model itself. If you already had a 74 Gun ship model at hand, you could scan existing parts using a laser tool rather than model them from scratch in 3D. A good 3D model would permit you not only to visualize how planking would touch the hull but also let you simulate shaping, bending and installing the planking. 

Gaetan and I live quite close to an aircraft assembly plant that has just completed spending billions $$ designing and simulating the build of a new commercial aircraft using Catia V5-Enovia, so if we can get enough of those skilled 3D jockey's hooked on model ship building, perhaps we can coax them into creating a 3D model. :cheers:    

mtaylor and herask like this

Dilbert, here's one 3d modeler who's got hooked on ship building. it's been 3 months since I found out about MSW and its awesome community of scale model wizards. even though I've seen a lot of wizardry in CG world I was still floored with what I've seen here. naturally now I'm building my own 3d ship - the hard way, of course! :-D

oh, in my case, creating a 3d model is waaay quicker than doing it in wood, sawdusting the neighborhood, chopping off fingers....

BANYAN and mtaylor like this

Hi Herask, you want to keep all your fingers if you're a 3D driver! 

My time estimate is based on making a fully representative 3D model of a 74 gun ship like Gaetan builds. Must confess I'm not a 3D modeler myself but was responsible for software and training at one point in my career. Made some time studies on designer productivity in order to justify upgrading our 3D software and as this experience was with designing aircraft, the level of detail and accuracy is very high.

mtaylor likes this

I use solidworks to do my 3D modelling and drafting. I Wished i could get some plans in dxf mode to make life easier but I understand with concerns of Piracy. Luckily I have the Triton in cad format and am in the process of building it in solidworks.

being new to ships I have trouble understanding some of the plans and building it virtually in cad makes life tons easier for me and makes it so I can understand better before I actually build the model.

Look for the HMS Pandora solidworks build its a work of art and really helped me understand parts.

I got the swan books and plans from Greg and am slowly working on tracing them so I can cad them up and figure out how everything goes together. it also allows me to make parts virtually that may not be on the plans and get they scale correct etc so I then have templates. that is one i wished already had in dxf format to make easier because of all the lines and some had to read I would be able to better understand things and start bringing in parts.

I just got home from my week out of town working and before I head back sunday I had the galley washington plans sitting on my desk. now these are the types of plans I am used to working with so I will begin cutting my wooden parts but also will virtually build it as I cant build during the week in the hotel room and i have 4 more months of living out of hotel and coming home on weekends.

So I fully understand what you are saying as a virtual 3D cadded model allows you to turn on and off different areas of the ship and lets you visually see what things are supposed to be like.

I have the complete set of bath shipyard microfime I have used with the tables of offsets to loft the hull for a Fletcher class destroyer as I slowly do that ship virtually. I also drew up a Higgins landing craft virtually before I built my R/C model from shipyard drawings. so now that i am good with the steel newer ships I want to do the same thing for tall ships.

3D modeling is fun once you have the info you need but it is also just as time consuming as building it due to all the various parts to get drawn up.

My friend Thomas Schmidt does virtual ships but using polygon modeling software. once finished his ships are used for books for research on the ships you can see some of his work here http://3dhistory.de/wordpress/3d-models/admiral-graf-spee/

if you click the 3-D models link in his menu he has about 7 other ships he has done. it takes him several years for each ship as they are all historically accurately drawn and dimensioned.

so yes virtual drawing can be very helpful for visually seeing details hard to visualize especially if you are working on something you are not used to doing.

hexnut and mtaylor like this

Here is my Higgins boat. I also have done a complete lancaster bomber from factory microfil which took a loooooong time. so once i get some more stuff traced on tall ships I hope to have several done virtually to help me with building also showing one of the P-51 I had done

Higgins-01.png

Scr 002.jpg

herask and mtaylor like this

I thought would show one last one that I finished last fall. it is a full scale Fokker DRI triplane from various factory drawings that was commissioned and is being built as a 1:1 scale flying replica.

it is designed and being built as close to 100% as came out of factory. due to some info not available abt 25% is just guesswork and based upon construction methods of the Era

DR1.png

For those interested in 3D modeling historical ships, if you have not seen Michel Saunier's Soleil Royal, take a look, it's incredible. Imagine modeling that.
mtaylor and JosephHuntley like this

well I am abt to work on my first total 3D Build and show how I do it as I go. I chose a ship I liked from the beginning when I first started getting into tall ships HMY Royal Caroline. it doesnt look too complex ship construction wise but complex detail wise with the carvings and inlaid floors etc so should be a good challenge for my cad skills drawing up the details