Treenailing-Material used other than Wood

Ahoy Mates

Other than wood,what do you use for treenailing? How do you use it? And where do you get your supply of it?

I have used brass,plastic and nylon. For brass either I cut it before putting into drilled holes,or snip it off after. Using either CA or Titebond for glue. And pretty much the same for plastic.

Has anyone used fishing monoflilament line? I see where it comes in various diameters and colors.

And I have used Titebond and Elmers glue for filling treenail noles. Have colored the glue with acrylic paint mixed in to simulate wood and tar colors.

Whats have you come up with for this labor intensive work?

Keith

Someone suggested using the bristles from a broom in the Kit-Basher's forum ...

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

EdT and others use the monofilament for bolts and nails.  See his Naiad log and Young Armerica log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Interesting thread. Whatever you use - other than some sort of filler material - would need to be able to be pulled through a drawplate such as the one produced by Jim Byrnes, otherwise scale would become an issue. I prefer to stick with bamboo myself.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

• 3 months later...

Some use a hypodermic needle and simply push into the wood leaving little round impresions.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Spyglass.

It is not always the case that the treenails are invisible. Check out the photo I took on board the Endeavour Replica and posted on another treenailing thread a while ago. They are quite visible in this case.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8317-to-treenail-or-not-to-treenail/

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

For simulated treenails, I use colored wood putty.  Seal the planks first, drill the holes then rub in some putty and wipe clean.  The putty provides no strength and takes much less time than drawing bamboo nails (which I still use where strength is required).  Choose your color to make them as subtle as you like.

Maury

Brass wire, installed into a pre-drilled hole with a slight touch of CA, sanded and then quickly blackened works for me.

The deck below needs to be stained and then some polywipe. The stove and stanchions are free to be moved at this point.

post-246-0-74114600-1435352854.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .