Today I made a Light (box) Stand

Today I made a light Box... or more correctly a light stand?

I read in TFFM that Greg uses a light box to inspect, mark and fine tune his joinery.

If it works for him I'm hoping it will help me.

This little project cost me next to nothing as I used scraps.

I taped, measured and laid out my cut lines and hole locations on the sheet of Plexiglas and onto the tape with a pencil.

post-9868-0-24691300-1434229100_thumb.jpg

Then I clamped the plexiglas down to my table and using my scroll saw and a plexiglas cutting blade I made my cuts.  You have to keep the saw moving or the plexiglas overheats and gums up. I cut about 1/8 inch outside the line.

post-9868-0-46434600-1434229122_thumb.jpg

I then clamped the plexiglas in my vise and using a very rough file I filed the cut edges down to the pencil line.

post-9868-0-87195300-1434229146_thumb.jpg

To diffuse the light shining from below I sanded the underside. Passed it quickly over my belt sanded.  Quickly so it doesn't overheat and make a mess.  Then I hand sanded in one direction with extremely rough sand paper. Finally I used 80 grit and sanded in four directions, one at a time.  First up and down, then across at 90 degrees, and finally diagonally (corner to corner). 

post-9868-0-49621100-1434229174_thumb.jpg

I drilled and counter drilled the plexiglas for the wood screws, cut two pieces of wood for the stands, marked off the screw holes using the plexiglas as the template and drilled pilot holes.  Screwed it all together.

post-9868-0-60241600-1434229204_thumb.jpg

I slide a LED puck light underneath and that was it... she was ready to use.

post-9868-0-01040800-1434229235_thumb.jpg

You can see it seems to do a great job of highlighting the imperfections.

post-9868-0-03894300-1434229265_thumb.jpg

Hope someone else finds this idea useful!

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

That's a very good idea mate - thanks for passing on this effective method from Greg.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I was about to unload a light table my Admiral has, laying around the basement. Once upon a time she was a graphic artist in NYC. Having seen it's usefulness here, it won't be going out in the trash. Thanks for the tip.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I am very happy others find this useful or at the very least interesting.

Druxey, mine is a basement shop with no outside windows.  Lighting is florescent and overhead... which doesn't work well for a fellow with a fused neck. Everything else is too bright (or I am just getting too old and picky).

I think this light table... I've decided it is a light table... will do very nicely.

Thank you to Greg and his volume in the TFFM books!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I use an old X ray view box as my light table.  With everyone switching to digital, they are relics taking up room in a lot of doctor's offices.  In my hospital, they are being thrown out  whenever an area gets repainted.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.