Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

"........looks like a Tom Sawyer moment to me!"   :D :D :D

I found something for you Piet....enjoy!!!

post-612-0-25077900-1384529827_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Piet,

Tremendous. It makes me fell tired just trying to keep up with the rate that you are working on the sub! :)  :)  :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

She's truly coming to life.  Beautiful!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wow, a great amount of visitors to my dockyard, thanks everyone for dropping in and for your "like" votes.  Hey Sjors, I'm running low on pop corn, the machine needs replenishing  ;)  ;)  :D  :D

@ John (Lad), thanks John for your very kind comment, yes, she is coming together!

@ Wacko Joe, thanks and pics are coming!

@ Mark, isn't it amazing what a little paint can do  ;)   The only way I figured to simulate steel plating is with heavy paper.  So far it's working for me just fine.  Even when looking at it close up it looks like steel plates, except for the absence of rivets.  But - - - we'll have to forego that I'm afraid.  Too costly.

@ Daniel, yes indeed, caution is in the order, even with this model, they are sharp!  How do I know?  Hmmmm, cut myself  :(   I don't know how effective they actually were in penetrating through barriers.  

The example you looked at for a paint scheme is of the model of the O 21, which was build a little later and of another class.  They may have switched from red to black at that time.  According to the model that the ship builder made and from what Gino den Ridder told me it's red from the keel to waterline 7, then a forest green to the deck line and everything above the deck was light grey.  As I mentioned before, the red will appear dark brown in the water to blend in with the Indonesian coastal areas.  The green would blend in with the tropical coast lines and the light grey with the sky.  This was a minelaying sub to serve in the former Netherlands East Indies, so most of it's time was spend near the coastal areas.  In any case I'm following the paint scheme as she was in 1939 when my father served on her till January 1941.

The net / cable cutters are hand made and soldered to brass flat stock.  very tedious work and prone to cutting my fingers and hands.  

The "blue rust bucket" is actually a plastic container my wife uses for garden debris.  It comes in handy as a paint stand  :)

@ Popeye, yes, I'm very happy with the way she's turning out.  Thanks for the "Peanuts" cartoon  :D  :D  So, now we know that poor old Charley Brown has a kite eating tree and a kite eating sub!  Bwaaaa, haaaa, haaaa  :D  :D  :D  :D  Sorry it wouldn't allow me to click on like.

@ Sjors, thanks for liking my paint job, appreciate it.  And painting your fence?  No sweat, just supply a bed, three meals a day and a few pints of beer - - - and you buy me the plane tickets  ;)  ;)  :P

@ John (texxn5), thank you john and yes, we can now devote time for "stuff" above the deck line.  And yes, I did hoist a very cool Leffe to celebrate.  Just watch out with that skylight on your ship, I can peek in  ;)  ;)

@ Popeye, Tom Sawyer?  Was he not that little dude who went fishing in the Mississippi River watching the Delta Queen go by?

@ Ian, thank you.  You feeling tired watching my progress?  Now you know how I feel after a day in the garage, I am standing and walking around the build, no break, except for lunch and chores for the Admiral.  And that at my highly advanced age - - - - - ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  :)  :) 

@ Augie, hey, nice to hear from you!  Thanks for your comment.  I think that my father would be pleased as well if he could see it taking shape, he loved that boot.

@ Mobbsie, give my regards to Sjors and Anja and ask where my plane tickets are so I can paint their fence :D  :D  :D  :D 

Cheers,  

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

After I came back from my dentist visit for a follow-up check on the double implant in my left upper jaw I spend a few hours in the dockyard doing some small stuff.  Everything looks very good in the jaw btw.  Could possibly get the crowns early January next year Hip, hip, hip, hurray!!!!!

Oaky, First I cut the stern crew escape hatch and loosely put it in its hole, then proceeded to the bow and made the triangular antenna brace slash net / cable cutter brace.  All it needs now is to secure it at the front end and make the net / cable cutter and solder it on.

I also finished the dingy loading beam.  It can now be lifted up and swivel.  The pics below will explain it.  I had to remove the hatch doors though, I'm replacing the paper hinges with metal ones.  Sounds like not much work but it was all very time consuming to make it look right.

Here are the pics. 

post-1399-0-30734500-1384570033_thumb.png

These are the parts for the forward end of the dingy loading beam.  I forgot to put an ExEcto knife blade in the pic for scale comparison so I annotated the pic instead.  What you see here is still rough and needs to be dressed yet.  The little tube goes into the deck right behind the con and that little "thingy" above it fits inside.  That 5 mm piece is soldered to the end of the beam.  A .8 mm holes will be drilled in these pieces for a .8 mm "bolt," which is a small brass nail.

post-1399-0-84788100-1384570064_thumb.jpg

This shows the beam installed with the swivel parts laid out where they go.  

post-1399-0-53630500-1384570085_thumb.jpg

Here is the finished beam installed and ready for action.  I drilled a .8 mm hole in the bottom leg of the T beam and soldered a small bracket to the aft top end of the beam for a clevis to hold a pulley on a hook.  This tackle will go to the top-aft of the conning tower to raise and lower the beam and to let it swing. 

post-1399-0-39083100-1384570115_thumb.jpg

This shows the bow antenna / net / cable cutter brace.  Here it is not yet soldered together, which is now done.  It needs to be secured in the front by cementing a .8 mm brass nail into the wood of the bow.  Then I have to make one more piece of teeth to solder to the top brace.  This is made from 1.2 mm brass tubing and the legs are 1 mm brass rod.

post-1399-0-97561100-1384570138_thumb.jpg

Here is another view of that structure.  In several of my previous posts are actual photos of that structure you can look at for comparison.  No need to add them here again.

Cheers, 

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Looking cool my man, excellent work as usual......here is an interesting link you might get a kick out of.....kinda whimsical...

since you're into planes & ships.......(or boats as they're known).....glad you enjoyed a good Leffe....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

very....very nice!   yes when I saw Sjors asking you to paint his fence...it reminded me of that book........the adventures of Tom Sawyer was a big read in my youth ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hello everyone and thanks again to Ian, Wayne, Boris, Pete, John (texxn5), Andy, Adriaan, Daniel, Remco, Anthony and Popeye for dropping in and your like votes.

Not to forget all who commented,

@ John (Lad), thank you and yes indeed, all those little details make her come alive.

@ John (texxn5), oooooh yes, I love those flying boats!  The best of two worlds, a boat that can fly!  Well, actually there are flying boats and I did work on them about two lifetimes ago but never flew one.   The ones this fellow makes are unique.

@ Wacko Joe, something for your next build Joe  ;)

@ Boris, thank you my friend, appreciate your compliment!

@ Wayne, thank you also for your compliment and yes, details make or break a model.

@ Adriaan, Hartelijk dank voor je compliment!   Thank you for your compliment. 

@ Popeye, yes, I did read that book with our daughter when she had to read it for school, great stuff.

Well, today was my day off from the shipyard.  But the mind is always working on the next steps to be done in the right order.

Now it's all small detail work that needs to be made and installed.  Even at this scale most of the stuff is still very small and tedious work.

All y'all have a great and productive weekend.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

LOL funny you should say that I have two plane kits that I bought on sale from Model Expo on the shelf, and I keep looking at them every time I walk into the new shop. Someday we will see, I got them at a good price, that's why I hate sales, always buying some thing and then it goes on the shelf LOL.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Thank all of you for visiting my build dock and your like votes, much appreciated !!!!

@ Wacko Joe, yup, I have a big box full of plane kits but had no time to assemble them.  Airplanes have been my life.  The bug bit me when I was 7 years old and never left me.  But I also like ships and boats though.  I guess I have high octane gas, JP 4 jet fuel and salt water in my vanes ;) 

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Today was rather productive tackling detail work.  I made and installed the "teeth" a k a net / cable cutter on the bow antenna attaching brace.  

Then moved a little further aft and cemented the torpedo loading dolly tracks to the forward deck.

As the cement ( 5 minute epoxy) was curing I started to make the dive plane guards.  I made them from 1.5 mm brass rod, bend them in shape, drilled holes in the appropriate places in the hull and epoxy cemented them in.  I used the O 21 model drawings and several photos for the location.  The lower one needs to stay clear of the side anchor.  As you can see I have marked the location.  I think that they made the anchor closing door hydraulically operative.  I may want to simulate it open with the anchor showing or lowered to the display board.  Hmmmm, that would look rather nice ;)   Tomorrow everything will be soldered and net / cable cutter teeth made and soldered on to the guard leading edges..

Not much to show for a day's work but it's all very time consuming.

Okay, here are a few pics for all yuns to look at.  We don't want to disappoint Sjors now, do we?   :D  :D  :D

post-1399-0-61965400-1384741981_thumb.jpg

Here the net /cable cutter teeth have been soldered to the antenna brace.  It's still raw and needs to be dressed yet.  The small vertical rod is the bow flag post.  It sticks into a small brass tube cemented into the deck.

post-1399-0-44769800-1384742015_thumb.jpg

I have used sewing pins to secure the track in position ready to be cemented on with 5 minute epoxy.

post-1399-0-99182900-1384742041_thumb.jpg

Here the track is being cemented an I am using a bunch of rivet bucking bars to hold to down to the deck.  All my sheet metal tools still come in handy  :)  :)  ;)

post-1399-0-32066100-1384742072_thumb.jpg

I found that I could cement two tracks at the same time after I "pinned" them in the right place.  Mixing small batches of epoxy began to annoy me  ;)  ;)  :P

post-1399-0-23375100-1384742088_thumb.jpg

All four tracks are now cemented to the deck and neatly cleaned up.  I'm happy.  :D  :D

post-1399-0-20550300-1384742273_thumb.jpg

The trim plane guards are cemented in with 5 minute epoxy and waiting to cure. 

post-1399-0-89270700-1384742288_thumb.jpg

This shows all the detail work I did today from above the bow.

post-1399-0-61026200-1384742309_thumb.jpg

This is a head-on bow shot with today's work.

post-1399-0-26684700-1384742414_thumb.jpg

I made an annotated copy of what was done today.  I still need to make more teeth and solder everything together.  I also need to make hydrodynamic fairings around the forward parts against the hull.  I'll make them from basswood and cement them on with epoxy.

post-1399-0-33052300-1384742439_thumb.jpg

I couldn't resist putting a couple of the 10 mm brass (torpedo) tubes in the launching area to show their future home  :)  :)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Details....more details...love it.....looking good my friend....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Piet,

Define "little to show"???   This is all about the "little" details that are bringing you sub to life.  Wonderful work.  I'm admiring every bit and piece.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's it Piet, :P

The little details. Now this were I start getting exited.

Keep the pictures coming mate.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

holy cow!   that's some really nice progress! .......the model looks good too :D :D :D     superb work Piet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the biggest work is always in the details Piet

looking amazing :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Thanks to everyone who visited and clicked the "like" button, much appreciated for yuns to stop buy.  :dancetl6:

@ John (texxn5), yes my friend, there'll be lots of detail work coming.  Some big, some small.  The small ones seem to take the most time, like today.  

@ John (Lad), well, as I mentioned to John (above) the small stuff seems to take the most time.  Wait till we get to the conning tower!

@ Mark, yes indeed, all this small stuff makes the boat appear as she was in 1939 and 1940.

@ Paul, thanks for dropping in and your comments.  Pics will be made as I progress.  I'm awaiting the continuation of your Scharnhorst  :)

@ Jan, thank you for your encouraging comments, and yes, the photos are for my benefit as well.  It's a record for later use.

@ Popeye, thank you my friend! 

@ Adriaan, as you well know with all the detail work on your King of the Mississippi.  

Talking about not much to show for a day's work, today is the day.  I spend all day making four streamline fairings for the trim plane guards.  They are cemented on but still need more trimming and fiddling with to make them look acceptable to me.  Sorry, no pics - - - yet.

I also did some more trimming on the antenna brace "teeth."  They are close to the way I want them to look.

Today I received the envelope with copies of several drawings Remco send from the Navy Archives.  Wow, great stuff.  The details on these copies are just what I need.  I also saw that I made two errors.  One is the loading beam for the dingy.  The I beam I made is in reverse from what the drawing shows.  I can either leave it be as is or remove a few items I soldered to it and reverse it.  Then modify the attachments.  It's a little more work but may work.

The other item is the mine / torpedo loading dolly tracks.  The drawings show them to be U channels on their side while mine are reversed I beams made from N gauge rail tracks.  Not having the drawings when I decided to use N gauge tracks seemed logical, thinking that the dolly had flanged wheels like rail cars.  To use U channel at my scale of 1:50 would be impossible to find or make.  Soooooooohh, I'll leave them as is.

Remco also made copies of the conning tower details with the AA guns and how they retract into their pressure tubes.  It's pretty much as I thought it works.  Wow, so much detail, just fantastic.

Unfortunately, he could not find anything on the bow side anchor.  This is really not much of a problem because I understand how they look like but having them stowed inside the bow section will be a no go.  Reason is that that area is almost solid with ¼ inch framing.  I don't think I'm going to carve a large space into it for the anchor.  However, as I mentioned in a previous post, I can make the anchor and let it rest on the display board just as the K XVIII photo shows that Freek posted.  I can attach a cable to it and let that go up into the hull.  I will have to make a separate door to at least simulate the real thing.  More tedious work.

So, that's it for today.  Y'all have a great evening or day and happy modeling.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

is that the anchor I see in the bow?......below the bulge of the dive fin

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks to everyone who visited my build log and clicked the like button, it's much appreciated.

@ Boris, to answer your question I'll have to browse through all my photos in the O 19 file, very time consuming and will try to find the pic.  I think I have seen it somewhere.  I also believe that they were put on at a later date but not sure now.  I know the O 21 had the net / cable cutters and she was launched just a few months after the O 19 and O 20.

Thanks for answering the anchor question.  FYI, the O 19 and O 20 had a "mushroom" anchor dropping down from the keel at frame 138 and they also had a side anchor on the starboard side.

The model drawings for the O 21 does not seem to have a mushroom anchor but a side anchor is also not shown.  It would stand to reason that all subs should have an anchor, but where is the question for those other then the O 19 and O 20.  At least I know that for sure because of the original drawings from the Navy Archive.

I completed the installation of the trim vane guards and the little fairings.  These gave me more work then I anticipated but I think it dressed up the area.  I'll hold off with adding the "teeth" to the leading edges till I find the pics I think I have.  I may have jumped the gun with these.  If the O 19 did not have them before January 1941 then I'll have to remove them because I want to depict this model as my father knew her and sailed on her.

Please stand by for the final word on the "teeth."

Here are two photos of the trim guards and the fairings.

post-1399-0-44681700-1384914179_thumb.jpg

I temporarily put the trim plane into it's socket for effect.

post-1399-0-84270900-1384914195_thumb.jpg

Another view but now with the trim plane extended.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra