Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

Lovely work, Piet.   Have a great Christmas.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Piet, thanks for the kind words.  Your guns are looking great...I'm anxiously looking forward to the end result....the Con is coming right along.....have a good one...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Piet,

I still follow you skills.

Where you get it is for me a riddle !

But I love it.

For you and yours......Prettig Kerstfeest en een gelukkig nieuw jaar !!!!!!!!

( sorry folks that I do it in Dutch but otherwise Piet can not read it  :D  :D  :D )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Beautiful work.  Love the double handgrips.

Best of the Holidays to you and yours!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

nice to see the tower framed in........your going to sheet it with flat stock,  I'm guessing.   with the grain running vertical,  it should cover nicely.  I notice your using the Testor's red tube......how is that working for you?   it does work on wood,  but the green tube is better.

the guns look great......are you going to add additional detail?  have a great holiday....your work is impressive!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you all for visiting and your like votes!

@ Mark:  Thank you for your kind words, appreciate it and the Admiral and I wish you and yours also a great Christmas.

@ John (texxn5):  you are welcome and thanks for your encouragement and kind words.  Yeah, the end of this project - - - I'm also looking forward to it but I am taking my time.

@ Sailor: Thank you too for your kind words.  keep watching  ;)

@ Sjors:  Thank you Sjors - - - hmmm, skills - - - well it all started a long, long time ago, in a country far, far away - - - Oh sorry, that's another story  ;)  Technical schooling and over 60 years learning while working for a living, aka the school of hard nocks  ;)  ;)

Can you translate that gibberish stuff for me??? - - - me no habbla Dutch anymore after living in the USA for 56 years  ;)  ;)  :P   I'm kidding of course but the funny thing is that I speak Dutch with an American accent, go figure.  "Prettige Kerstdagen en een zeer voorspoedig 2014 voor jouw en Anja."

@ Augie"  Thank you my friend, and we also wish you and yours the best of holidays.

@ Popeye:  Yeah, it helps in "nailing" the side panels on  ;)  The side panels as well as the decking is 1 mm plywood.  No grain because it's supposed to simulate steel sheet.  The side of the plywood that faces out is extremely smooth and with the primer sanded down it really is as smooth as a baby's rear  :)

The Testor's red works fine.  I first tried it with a piece of scrap on wood and it sticks real good.  It was what I had left over from way, way back, when I put a plastic model of a PBY together for a small museum.  But thanks for the tip of the green Testor's, I'll go get a tube when I'm glueing the deck strips on.

I don't know yet if I'm adding more detail to the guns.  These last additions caused me some work because it all has to fit inside the tubes, there is very little space to spare now.  I'll have to see - - -  :huh:

To all of MSW, especially my visiting friends, the Admiral (Gwen) and I wish all a very enjoyable holiday season.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Today I made some more progress.  I fiddled with the guns a little more in cleaning them up and then trimming some here and there to make them move in and out of the buns.  The added thingies on the top were giving me a little problem but trimming a few thou off they slid in fine.

I may have to cement these styrene tubes to the frames to keep them in place, the guns are just a tad snug, which is a good thing but it may lift the tubes out.  This too is no problem because they can easily be put back in place.

I made and installed the cockpit deck, that's where the commanding officer or whomever is on watch stand.  The KM (Koninklijke Marine - Royal Navy) submariners call it "de badkuip" or the bathtub.  I may as well make and cement the styrene deck slats to it while its nice and accessible.  (Note to self: buy a tube of green Testor's cement - - - thanks Popeye).

I cut out and glued the front part to the lower con from 1 mm plywood.  It's still in the clamps to let the glue cure.  In the meantime I cut out the starboard side panel and cut the step holes in it already.   It would be more difficult after it's glued on.

After this side is done then we'll turn the build board around and work on the port side.  There is more detail on the port side, three doors!  Hmmmm hinges  :o - - - Saint Nicolas gave me some REAL small brass tubes and pins for hinges and now I'm really scared to try  :huh:  I'll need a 10 power magnifier to see the little buggers.

Well, that's it for today below are a few pics but without the AA guns, they are resting in the "completed" section. 

post-1399-0-76909600-1400034311_thumb.jpg

This shows the rough precut starboard side panel.  The curved front part is in clamps to let the glue cure.  There are four outside foot supports at the aft end but they have oval holes in the side panel.  These holes will be made tomorrow but I think to glue the steps on after the panel is installed.  Even CA glue doesn't hold very well to this plywood.  I may have to scrape some off.

post-1399-0-99940200-1400034333_thumb.jpg

To give you an idea where the steps are I have added this picture of the real boat.  You can also see that this lower con part is really not very high.

post-1399-0-61093200-1400034356_thumb.jpg

This shows the four metal outside steps at the aft end of the con.  Hmmm  - - - looking at the picture I need to do some trimming.  Yes, they show bottoms up.

Cheers, 

Edited by Piet

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

sweet looking from here Piet!   I mentioned the grain,  because in the vertical direction,  it's more flexible and you'd get a better curve with the rounded areas  :)     with the steps........how would it work out if you were to make slots and push them through from the inside? are there any structure where it would interfere?    I would suggest doll house hinges.......but I think they would be too big.   wish I could help you with that.   Happy Holidays!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looking real good Piet.....I didn't realize just how low profile she was until your last picture......interesting in comparison to current designs.....of course diesel boats were quite different from today....

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

First of all, thanks to everyone who visited and clicked "like."

@ John (Lad):  The large holes are presumed to be steps to climb up to the gun decks.  The row of small holes I have also wondered about - - - I have no clue  :huh: , I just follow the photos.  Interesting question though.  I understand there is a lavatory and shower inside that part and these small holes could be for ventilation.  Don't hold me to it though  :)

@ Remco: Thanks for your confidence and I'll give it a honest try.  

@ Jan:  Thanks for dropping in my friend and your kind words.  Yes, I keep plugging at it and it's still going slow, to my thinking.  Thank you for the holiday wishes en wij wensen jouw en je familie ook prettige feestdagen toe en een zeer voorspoedig Nieuw Jaar.  

Okay now, everybody say,"what d'he say??? "  I just wished John and his family joyful holidays and a prosperous New Year.  This goes for everyone.

@ Popeye: Thanks my friend and now I understand what you meant.  Yes, I used the right way of the grain, it bends okay.  I need to make one more bend like that for the cockpit - - - sorry for the airplane talk  ;)  - - - not really - - - har, har, har  :D  :D  :D

I'll be working these four outside steps in from the backside.  It's a little (a lot) more work but will look much better that way.  The larger holes have support on the inside.  Yes, doll house hinges are much too big and like I mentioned in yesterday's post, Santa brought me some super small brass tubes of 0.5 mm.  This should answer Jan's question too  :)  :)

Also happy holidays to you and the Admiral.

@ John (Texxn5):  Thanks John and yes, the superstructure was not very high up, no need for that in that era.  The latest diesel electrics are also a far cry from what these boats were.  They can also stay submerged for long times.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Not much was done today.  I had a dentist appointment for him to install the two embutments in my two implants in the left upper jaw.  All went well but it took quite some time, 2 hours.  He had to cut the gums open again and I mentioned to him that he should have put a zipper in it :D  :D  Okay, the Novacane is worn off and I have absolutely no discomfort, which is a good thing.

I managed to  do some more work on the side panels though. I also cut the port side out and the door openings and made step holes in it.  There is still some more detail work on them before I can glue them to the frames.

Now, Boris mentioned to me in a personal e-mail that the Vickers Pom Poms on the Dutch subs did not have handles on them in the back.  Oh dear, yes, he is right.  I used the wrong installation as a guide and now I need to remove these nice handles and add some other stuff.  I don't know if I have enough room inside the buns for that stuff but we'll see.

Hey, that's what this forum is all about, helping each other - - - no matter that sometimes we have to take a step back before proceeding forward again.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello all and thanks for visiting my shipyard and your "like" votes.

I may not have posted a progress report for one day but that doesn't mean I have been idle  :)

I managed to glue the port side lower con side panel to the frames. I also painted the inside, at least those areas we can see through the door openings.  Everything fits nice and smooth.  Detail finishing will come after the doors are made and mounted.

I had to remove the little steps at the aft end, even CA did not hold them securely.  There's something with this plywood that doesn't like CA.  Epoxy is a little netter but that's also iffy.  I'll install them when I'm ready to paint, that way they won't be bumped.

I have started with the bridge and the periscope housing.  I'm using bass wood for the last one, it's a little easier to model.  The cockpit of the brige will be a little tricky holding the 1 mm ply secure.  I'm installing a few vertical frames but the only attachments for them are the upper longerongs of the lower con.  I think that the front wether shield frame will add enough support.  The cockpit is also lined on the inside that should also add some support.

The concern I have is that weather shield.  It looks like a compound curve with a half moon shape that extends as a top-railing like arrangement.  See pic below.  I think though that I'll make it a little simpler.  Well, that's a worry when I come to it next week  ;)

post-1399-0-81090500-1400035000_thumb.jpg

This shows the port side of the lower part of the conning tower.  In my spare time I'll make the doors and the door frames and hinges.  

post-1399-0-95324600-1400035050_thumb.jpg

This is a composite picture of the bridge or "badkuip" (bathtub) as the Dutch submariners called it.   As you can see there is plenty of "stuff" to add.  Right now I don't know how much I'll make and install, enough though for the heck of it  :)  :)

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

impressive.........love it!!!!!! :) :) :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you John and Popeye for visiting!

@ John:  Yup, busy is an understatement and it may drive me to drink or run for the hills tearing the one hair out on my head :o   Hmmm, there are no hills in Florida - - - now what, well - - - back to the shipyard and keep plugging at it   :D  :D

@ Popeye: Thanks my friend, she's getting there  :)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks to everyone for dropping in and your "likes."

Accomplished a few more things today.  I finished the periscope pressure seal housing, and lucked-out that all the holes lined up with the ones in the pressure hull and all the way down to the keel, wonders will never cease.

I had to remake the front piece for the cockpit and the second one worked out fine.  A dry fit was great, it seems to be strong enough and is also perfectly vertical to the waterline.  I guess that was the aim.  All my concerns were for naught, fortunately.

Before I can put this all together I have to first make all the deck pieces because the styrene deck slats need to be cemented on it first.  That'll be a job and a half.  I tried to cut the 1 mm wide slats with an office paper cutter but that may not work too well.  It tends to pull the styrene into the blade as I progress further down.  No way to hold it from slipping, may think of a clamping arrangement or  another way like clamping the styrene under a steel straightedge and using a sharp utility knife.  1 mm is scale but I may have to go a smidgin wider, it's rather difficult to cut these narrow strips.  It also has a tendency to curl.

Once the deck pieces are made I can then cement the styrene strips to them on the bench rather then on the model, a lot easier that way.  This'll take some time I'm afraid but it has to be done and they'll have to painted as well before gluing them to the lower con. 

I cemented guide tubes in the periscope pressure sealing housing for the antenna mast and both periscopes to slide in.  That way they can be pulled up and down to simulate the actual operation.  

Just a lot of "stuff" going on with the conning tower and bridge.

Okay, this is all she rode for today, next installment hopefully Sunday.

post-1399-0-19999300-1388195575_thumb.jpg

This picture was taken this morning before lunch.  The deck pieces had not been made at that time because I had to attend to some correspondence in the afternoon.  The front end of the cockpit or bridge is just stuck in place and needs to be trimmed yet.  The main thing is that it fits like a glove and rather sturdy.  The rest of the sides going aft will come later after the decks have been made and glued on.  That large white looking thing with the 4 holes is where the antenna mast, periscopes and snorkel air-intake slide in and out of.  Yes, even the snorkels are retractable.  The snorkel intake is the aft location then the antenna mast and two periscopes in the forward holes.

post-1399-0-92518700-1388195594_thumb.jpg

Looking aft

post-1399-0-59532100-1388195620_thumb.jpg

Looking forward.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

super progress Piet......I had to re-read......in the back of my mind,  I was thinking that it would be a bear to get that hatch cover and inner tub detail done with all that in place  :)    your dad must really be smiling by now!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking great my friend, glad to see you could work during the holidays.  The con is really taking shape.....

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Thanks to everyone who have visited my build, you know who you are, and also thanks for your like votes.

@ Remco: thank you my friend for visiting.  Yes, that 1 mm ply bends okay but this is about as small a curve it'll take.  Both the top and bottom ends need support and that's what I was concerned about, the top end that is.  I'll be using good PVA glue for that.  The inside of the bridge is also plated, that'll give it extra support.  I'm no longer worried  :)

@ Popeye: Yeah, I need to keep in mind to do things now in such a way that won't interfere with the next step. That's why the planking must come first.  The crew hatch tube on the bridge, actually all the crew hatch tubes, are kept removable.  That way I can solder the hinges on them on the bench.  The styrene AA gun bins are out in the open and their pressure lids and hinges can also be made ahead of time.

Well, I like to think that my dad would like what I'm doing if he could see it, I do my best  :)

@ John (Texxn5):  Thanks John, Yeah, you can't beat me away from the shipyard but I took time off today  for other things.  She's slowly coming together but, as you now also know, these small detail items have tendency to eat up a lot of time.

@ Daniel: Thank you for looking in and your kind words.  Yup, all those pipes will disappear from sight when all's done, except for the lids.  

Cheers to all  :cheers:

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello all and thank you for visiting and your like votes.

Today was a bit frustrating.  I tried to cut 1 X 1 mm styrene strips for the deck slats but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get anywhere with it.  They keep curling and refusing to remain straight.  I gave up and went to making 1 X 1 mm wood strips.  

Yeah I know, it's more labor intensive but the end result was quite satisfactory.  I'll have to go into mass production when it comes time to do the main deck  :o

Actually, it goes rather swift once I have 1 mm planks cut.  It's then a matter of sanding it smooth and by that time it's about 0. 8 mm, which actually looks a bit nicer.  Then carefully cut the 1 mm strips from it a little over size so I can sand them smooth on the cut sides.

I made a few strips to plank the small recessed deck of the cockpit and it came out rather well, just a little cleaning up. 

I also had to remake the aft AA gun deck.  I forgot to the side overhang to allow for the gun operation.  Oh well, such is life.  Got to thinking about those dumb deck slats and didn't pay attention.  At least it's a good excuse and I'm sticking with it :)  ;)   Wont do that with the front gun deck though  :)  I'm running low on plywood.

So, tomorrow is making the deck slats for the aft gun deck - - - after I come back from the dentist.  We are going to get the stitches taken out and an impression made for the two crowns - - - yippee!  :D  :D

post-1399-0-72033300-1400035443_thumb.jpg

The .8 X 1 mm slats are glued on to the deck in the cockpit or bridge.  Yes, it still needs to be cleaned up  some.  The few rough spots in the front will be removed because the help post will be placed there.  In the starboard front are a few cabinets and some "stuff" on the port side.  That area is also covered with a weather shield so most of the forward slats will not even be visible. 

post-1399-0-90133900-1388372068_thumb.jpg

This is a close-up view of the slats.

post-1399-0-56083900-1388372083_thumb.jpg

This shows the aft AA gun deck with the overhang I forgot with my first try.  The overhang will have a 1 mm reinforcing strip glued to the underside as well as metal support braces. The area with the vertical supports will have an inner lining, that's why I left decking out between the verticals.  The outside plating will cover it nicely.

The periscope housing is not glued on yet, first the slats to be glued to the deck plates

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello Mark and Anthony, thanks for dropping in and liking my progress.  Wow, you guys are quick !

Don't know how quick I can make the next series of slats so there may be a delay in progress pics  ;)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you all for visiting and like what I'm doing!  It's really encouraging to me.

Today I made some saw dust.  I started to rip 1mm planks out of some discarded pieces of poplar.  Waste now want not, right?  Must be the frugal Dutchman in me  ;)

I guess that for the main deck I'll need to buy a new ¼ inch board or two from the Home Depot.

I'm aiming right now to get the entire conning tower put together so I can concentrate on the deck details.  Lots of work there.

Yeah, it's a little labor intensive work to make a gezillion slats but right now I have no other choice.  I cleaned up the slats in the cockpit and they came out rather nice.  I made the slats for the aft end of the bridge planning to install the sides but I'll have to hold off doing that till I have pre-made some of the detail stuff in the front.

Next on the agenda is to finish the aft and forward AA gun decks so I can put the deck slats on them.  I made the forward AA gun deck plate and cemented the AA gun buns to the frame.  I could glue all the deck pieces to the lower con frame but before I do that I must remember to paint the white styrene AA gun buns gray and trim the deck plates.  That'll be a chore for tomorrow.

It's better to glue the slats to the decks when on the model because then I have the gun buns and the crew hatches as a guide to where to glue these slats.  I'm following the deck layout drawing that shows the location of the teak deck slats.

post-1399-0-99286700-1388457049_thumb.jpg

This shows all deck pieces fitted but not yet trimmed to their final shape.  I'll wait with that till they are glued on.  It's perhaps a little hard to see but I have glued a few slats to the deck between the cockpit and the periscope housing.  That area will fall inside the bridge side panels.  I just stuck the Vickers AA guns in for the heck of it ;)   And that reminds me of making a slight mod to the pedestals so I can add some details to them, they kinda look naked  :)  

post-1399-0-56814700-1388457070_thumb.jpg

This is a better view to see the slats I glued on this afternoon, yup, tedious work alright but it's quite satisfactory to me.  Hmmmm, been thinking how to paint the deck and not the slats - - - I would like to stain the slats  :huh:  Gluing them to a painted surface is not a good idea.

post-1399-0-17384200-1400035786_thumb.jpg

Here is another view looking forward.  You can see a faint outline in pencil where the bridge side panel will come.

post-1399-0-63791200-1400035803_thumb.jpg

This is the original deck layout that I'm trying to follow as best as I can.  The quality is not the greatest but we'll muddle through it.  Right now I'm not that anal about getting the precise number of deck slats  correct.  So far though it seems to be working out just as the drawing show.  It should, because 1 mm is in scale for 5 cm, which is my guess they may have been originally.

post-1399-0-62542500-1400036056_thumb.jpg

This is just a profile shot as the con looked at the time I closed the shipyard at 17:30.  I'm pretty happy with how it's looking  :D  :D

Cheers,

post-1399-0-34501400-1400036222_thumb.jpg

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra