Heavily decorated ships

Eibwen

So, I have been loving sculpting things using a salt dough and y trusty hobby knife (for my ship) and I do not know where to put them so it is really better to have plans when making a ship (since it is custom made)

So, do you have any ships which are heavily decorated? Full with sculptures and figurines? Full with Gilded structures??

any ship can do if it has those listed above :)

I appreciate your help

gotta love this

-Eibwen

You may wish to take a look at these 2 vessels - plans produced and sold by AAMM:

LA COURONNE
LA REALE DE FRANCE

Taubman

these later 17th Century 3 deck vessels

ROYAL KATHERINE
PRINCE

I think these are kit plans,  I would verify that the hull is the correct length before I used them.

There was a set of plans where the person drafting the kit plans mistook keel length= touch for keel length= LBP.

generating a vessel that was about 25 feet too short in hull length.

NRG member 50 years

Current:  

NMS

HMS Ajax 1767 - 74-gun 3rd rate - 1:192 POF exploration - works but too intense -no margin for error

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - POF Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - POF Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner - POF framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner - POF timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835 packet hull USN ship - POF timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - POF framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Wasa was also heavily decorated.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Brian, I am not sure if he is referring to the same salt dough that I know, but: salt dough is what Chinese cooks use to make a dish called "beggars chicken". It is a mixture of 2/3 flour, 1/3 salt, and enough water to make a cement-like dough. It is rolled out, then the chicken placed inside with herbs and flavourings, then the whole thing is sealed to make a parcel, then baked. The chicken cooks in its own juices, and no moisture or flavour escapes. When it comes out of the oven, it is rock hard and needs a hammer to break it open, revealing the tender chicken inside. 

The story goes that a beggar stole a chicken. When the farmer came looking for his chicken, the beggar wrapped the chicken in mud and threw it into the fire. This resulted in the most tender, juicy, and intensely flavoured chicken he had ever eaten, so a new dish was born. I still get excited whenever I am served this. 

I had never thought of using salt dough for modelling. Salt dough is easy to handle, softens with water, easy to clean, and holds details well. The only question is - how durable is it?

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Keith, I had a similar Spanish dish at Casa Bottim's in Madrid. Needed a hammer to crack the clay, but a most aromatic chicken dish. MMMM!

As far as salt dough, must be an inexpensive modeling clay-like concoction. Around here, I think they bake it to hold it's shape.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Salt dough ?  Whats that brother ?

A non toxic, easy to make, substitute for clay that backfires when introducing it to young children. Its pretty much flour, some Kyro syrup, and salt mixed with water into a paste.  It can be poured into molds, or shaped and sculpted, and then baked to hold form.  After its baked, it can be carved, like an old piece of salt tack.

I remember my Kindergarten teacher making it for us to sculpt Christmas ornaments.  Somehow, after these were baked, the ornaments had a appetizing smell so I licked mine, a Christmas tree, and it tasted good, so, along with the mint flavored paste used to glue on additional decorations, became an afternoon snack.

The dog also thought they tasted good.  After getting told by the teacher to quite eating the dough and make my dang ornament, I did happen to get a really cool Christmas tree made, complete with lights, tinsel, bulbs, and a gold star on the top, that any six year old would be proud of.  My parents were proud too, and let me hang it myself a full 3 feet from the ground, just far enough for our spaniel to take notice, and around midnight, turn my beloved ornament into a late night snack.  

About twenty years ago, I was helping my mother clean out some old boxes when they were moving to a new house, and at the bottom of one box, was a half eaten, salt dough ornament of a Christmas tree.  Other then a few minor cracks, it held up well for forty years.  

Edited by ScottRC

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Many Dutch ships from the yachts (Utrecht, Rotterdam, Amsterdam) to the ship of the line (Seven Provincien, Vlissingen, Bleidorp, Prins Willem, etc).

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

I would say that from a sculpting point of view the French are more interesting than the Dutch.

The Dutch din't go far beyond basic carving. (and painting it kind of goldish).

Quite a lot of it on many of their ships, but not very elaborate in terms of sculpting.

Salt dough, ah, sweet memories. Kindergarten, schoolparties. Fun to do. Easier to handle than heavy clay. undestructible when baked.

Jan

Edited by amateur

The most heavily decorated ship of the American Navy was the USS President. When launched in 1800, she had a triple figure head, consisting of the bust of George Washington sitting on a rock, supported on either side by two full length female figures, each representing an important virtue.

Edited by uss frolick

Brian, I am not sure if he is referring to the same salt dough that I know, but: salt dough is what Chinese cooks use to make a dish called "beggars chicken". It is a mixture of 2/3 flour, 1/3 salt, and enough water to make a cement-like dough. It is rolled out, then the chicken placed inside with herbs and flavourings, then the whole thing is sealed to make a parcel, then baked. The chicken cooks in its own juices, and no moisture or flavour escapes. When it comes out of the oven, it is rock hard and needs a hammer to break it open, revealing the tender chicken inside. 

The story goes that a beggar stole a chicken. When the farmer came looking for his chicken, the beggar wrapped the chicken in mud and threw it into the fire. This resulted in the most tender, juicy, and intensely flavoured chicken he had ever eaten, so a new dish was born. I still get excited whenever I am served this. 

I had never thought of using salt dough for modelling. Salt dough is easy to handle, softens with water, easy to clean, and holds details well. The only question is - how durable is it?

Well it appears you need a hammer to break it so...........Also, thanks for making me hanker for some baked chicken.

mike 

I want to try this.

What is the formula for salt dough? 

Does it hold together when you create something?

Does it really have the consistency of dough?

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

The recipe all over the internet says:

1 teacup of salt, 3 teacups flour, 1 cup of water (or less, when the mixture gets too thin), and one teaspoon of vegetable oil.

Mix salt and fliour, then add oil and water till consistency is correct.

Never tried to make the stuff myself (just used the stuff pprepared by our kindergarten teacher :) )

Jan

I'm getting ready to start building the la Couronne so I may give this a try and attempt to make some of my own details. That part is still a long way out but I will post pictures when I get around to trying it. Thanks for the idea!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

When all else fails, one can eat the decorations for snacks. 

Working from memory here, but if I recall correctly, eating the salt dough is a no-no, as the salt content is way too high.  Kinda like drinking seawater.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht