Bluenose by Jond - radio - 1:24 scale Racing Schooner

Hello Jon,

Your Bluenose is coming along very nicely. Wonderful attention to details an excellent craftsmanship. Nice.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thank-you Jeff and Gary

I am swamped with family projects at the moment so posts are a bit slow. as to work, I am struggling with dories. I just bought some brass to begin trimming out spars and several lines to start learning seizing for this large scale. I need to simulate steel shrouds.

Cheers

Jon LP

• 3 weeks later...

I put things up for the holidays and today am thinking about getting back to it.  Santa brought me   

• The Dory Model Book: A Wooden boat Book: Harold Payson

and I spent some time reading it through once.  wow. lots to think about, as I need 6 dories in this large scale.  I plan to take the time and get into this and try to make the dories right.

I also have a few kits sitting around for dinghies and things to practice on, so the point is my overall process may likely be a bit slower but what is the hurry...snow is on its way

happy holidays

• 5 weeks later...

The last few months have not included much modeling time.  I hope to get back to it soon.  In the mean time we had a winter session of our Downeast Shipmodelers Guild at the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath.  After a good lunch and a few tales we got to the fun stuff.

• post-9397-0-64857100-1485373070.jpg A friend help me load up and deliver Bluenose to the meeting and we had a good session talking about the plus and minus of working at this large scale.

Sounds like a good time.  There's nothing better than getting together with friends and showing them your work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank You Pat Jeff and Bob

I actually successfully soldered up my goose neck but am building a book shelf in the living room...sound familiar?  i also have made a maple plug for the dories and have started my first build.  I hope to update sometime next week.

Pat it would be great for a visit  you would be welcome.  If you wanted to visit the Maine Maritime museum on your trip  our lunch and meetings are the second Wednesday of the month. One of our members used to live in Houlton

cheers 

ps. I just posted today in the gallery some of the models I have restored in the past few years. Many of the boats were headed for the trash and were is really rough shape. I save as many of the original parts as possible and restore what I have to. I keep in mind that the original builder could only use what he had at hand. If anything I've saved something and I get great pleasure doing so. thanks again for the invite. Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I am finally ready to update some progress.  The book shelves are in and many other projects going but  this is more fun.

Today I will share progress on the spars.  Several things all happen at once and I am trying to be careful on sequencing.   I also have to consider how or more like if to attach masts.  Our annual show and tell at the owl's Head Museum is coming up in April and with masts attached, I can not fit Bluenose in the car.

• post-9397-0-29589600-1486760024.jpg  First I need to make a goose-neck for the fore boom.  Soldering is a weak point for me but this time it actually worked structurally at least.  

• post-9397-0-81088300-1486760024.jpg Here are the two bands with a 1/16" Id tube. A little or a lot of  filing, some silver paint  [galvanize] and lets see what we get.

• post-9397-0-18313000-1486760025.jpg  Cross tree hounds at this scale are 2" by 5/8" and need to be carved out to fit the boom. They are then tapered in both directions.  My new toy scroll saw makes lay out easier and to cut the taper is so much safer than on a band saw.  It was my daughter that insisted i get this scroll saw more in the name of safety than need.  My hand me down 1975 sears 12" band saw with old un replaceable blades does in a pinch, but this scroll saw is great for small work.

• post-9397-0-67174400-1486760025.jpg  Mast hoops are a little problem to make in scale and strong enough at the same time.  I have used the 1/64" birch plywood and cut strips about 1/8th wide. I learned the hard way to be sure the outer grain goes with the cut.  Here after shaping I glue them up.    
  • post-9397-0-15152800-1486760026.jpg here they are ready for sanding.

• post-9397-0-49502600-1486760026.jpg  here I find my accuracy is not great on diameters.  I could have done better on making them equal. I wrapped them on a couple 5/8 diameter copper tube that allows cloths pin to hold in place while they dry.  I am not sure why they are not all exact.  oh well

• post-9397-0-87133800-1486760026.jpg  here they are with varnish.  They are bright in all the photos so I did not stain them.

• post-9397-0-20439300-1486760027.jpg here they are riding on the mast. I would love to be able to make them thinner [ I think I mean narrower]  but if I ever sail this boat they need this strength.  

• post-9397-0-55618600-1486760027.jpg  Now it's time for boom fittings.  Here I am constructing the main sheet bale.

• post-9397-0-92284700-1486760027.jpg  here you can see the threading of the rod. It is number 1.

• post-9397-0-65488200-1486761035.jpg  here it is assembled. the number 1  nut seems to be the right scale.  The tabs going aft are for the foot lines.   The forward fitting is the boom tackle. I found it interesting that the Eisner plans did not show a tackle on the main. 

• post-9397-0-91543200-1486761498.jpg  Here again from the Nova Scotia archive, one can clearly see the boom tackle rigged to the port side.  

cheers all for now

jon

Thanks Pat

I made a little more progress and snow is coming so maybe even more in the works.  I wanted to set things up and see how they looked...sort of mid point check

• post-9397-0-66401600-1486996158.jpg  for sequencing, I needed to install the hoops first.  { I learned that by experience]

• post-9397-0-20920400-1486996159.jpg  Then we have all the bands.  I made these from different size tubes.  I tried to roll and solder 1/64 x 1/4"  bands, but with no flaps/ tabs, there is only the butt joint.  The brass tubs worked well with a little spar sanding to fit.

• post-9397-0-59229900-1486996159.jpg  To build the top band, I wanted them to be strong enough to stand on their own and then to receive the top masts repeatedly.  I am thinking of a display option of lower masts rigged and top masts being rigged...more on that later. The forward bands are riveted and the main mast  has 000 machine bolts holding bales and band. I need to fill the rivet holes.    I also need to add spring stay bales, schakles and blocks and paint etc.  it does go on.

• post-9397-0-08512700-1486996160.jpg Here we are laying down with the hounds [ cheeks in Gloucester] attached and finished.  needs silverpaint to galvanize.  The cross trees are still loose until I rig the bolster and slabs to hold them down.

• post-9397-0-61100400-1486996160.jpg Bluenose has left the shop and is now in the sail loft.  Here we have masts stepped to take a look.  She is sitting next to the old pond yacht schooner Dancing Feather my first ever scratch schooner, and a future project to complete new rigging  focusing only on sailing.  Then we see Bittersweet, one of my last Boothbay Harbor One design builds rests, waiting for summer sailing.

• post-9397-0-63067800-1486996864.jpg  here is the main top held up as I have not yet made the heel gate.  

• post-9397-0-12853900-1486996865.jpg  here is the fore mast.

• post-9397-0-52504400-1486996865.jpg  here we have the fore boom goose neck cleaned up and painted.

• post-9397-0-03451400-1486997655.jpg  Here is the main sheet band and bale . I have added a crotch band  and then the tackle band.  The main sheet bales rides aft of the crutch, but it's scale i am after here.

• post-9397-0-63027300-1486997655.jpg  here i repeated the process for the for boom sheet bale and I find looking here  it is too big.   back the shop  for a finer bale.

• post-9397-0-07216100-1486997656.jpg  Finally i want to share another Bluenose model that has been here in the shop for now two winters.  It belongs to a friend and he comes once a week and I am helping him restore it.  She is almost ready to go home.  the model was built many years ago and lives in the family dinging room

It's rare to see such wonderful detail on an RC model.  She's looking good.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thanks so much Jon. I have learned so much from the pictures above and I will be revisiting as a reference going forward. I acquired a 1930 hand made fishing boat from the North Shore of New Brunswick. the hull alone is over 36". I will be doing a complete restoration starting this Spring and I plan on starting a restoration log. I will coming back to your builds for your help and inspiration. By the way, the Blizzard hitting here today has completely shut down New Brunswick. 40" plus 60 mph winds. Pat at Skiff Lake 

thanks Bob...not sure I will sail this one.  Too much detail and I want to continue as I am learning so much.  plenty of time to decide.

Pat we had over two feet here too  I put it on face book for the kids who live in Phoenix.  

Jeff  the secret is ...let the admiral build a new sun room and you get a great office / study, or for me a model sail loft below.

I got 6 windows   not bad for a shop 

cheers

Ok for this week only a little progress.  Unfortunately not enough excuses, although I had to paint a room .

First off an update on procurement.  As in past models, I support our local Maine Bluejacket for many of my fittings and raw material.   in this year's purchase, I have some good new news,, a nice  surprise in fact,

• post-9397-0-03789800-1487449053.jpg  In this photo we have the largest size black line that Bluejacket sold a few years back on the left.  I bought it and have not yet used it yet on another model.   Notice it has a 'waxed'  and smooth look.  I have gone through study to figure out how best to replicate steel wire rope  in this size.  It would have twisted strands as I understand it. My RC models typically use  copper stranded wire [ air craft cable] or stainless with turnbuckles and lots of force.  i do not want to do that here, as we have dead eyes on the shrouds.    Looking to see if the stands are noticeable on the NS archive or even the new Bluenose II photos I took, does not really answer this question.  It is hard to tell in the photos.   I went to several sites and bought a few samples.Some were beautifully hand made but not much was available and pricey for such a large model.    In interest of progress I just went ahead and bought new large line from Bluejacket. ...wow surprise... look at it on the right  wow you can see the twisted strands... it is perfect....thank you Nic

• post-9397-0-55533300-1487449053.jpg also because blocks on masts hold sails,  I chose to use Bluejacket large cast metal blocks.  Using either their metal strops and made up copper wire shackles or copper wire strops they are pretty strong, so I got a bunch.  already not enough.

• post-9397-0-95301800-1487449053.jpg  Here is the foremast set in place to take a look.

• post-9397-0-39542100-1487449054.jpg  here the blocks are ready to paint.  Blocks will be white and metal is already silver for galvanized,

now it time for upper hoops.  I learn each time and I get a little better...I hope

• post-9397-0-81929700-1487449054.jpg for sizing I selected a copper tube that slips nicely over the spar. I then cut strips of 1/64 ply [ narrower this time] and soak them for about an hour in ammonia water.   you can see the first two wrapped and drying

• post-9397-0-21373100-1487449055.jpg here the bunch is glued and drying again

Finally  I wanted to share one of many oops

• post-9397-0-61877300-1487449055.jpg  here drilling and setting the upper stay band on the top mast it got twisted. I had to remove it and plug the holes with toothpicks and try again.

• post-9397-0-02889000-1487449056.jpg  here we are ready for re staining  and painting. 

• post-9397-0-46978400-1487449056.jpg here is the first paint job....kind of rushed.  it typically takes two cycles to get it right

I am now thinking about doing the sails furled like in the archive photos.  that will be a fun experiment. I am still suffering and making poor progress on the dories

cheers 

Edited by Jond

Jond, I agree, she is such a fine boat, I don't known if I would put her in the water.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

It has just been too long since i could sit here and put something together.  It is snowing again so that is incentive.  I also needed to get to this update to help me focus.  We have our annual showing in early April at the owl.s Head museum and I hope to take Bluenose with a few more things started.

I have been working on setting up the rigging.  I need to be able to de-step the mast and go out and set it up in place.   I suggest it's not reasonable plan or a long term approach but for the next time or two a needed asset. 

so here we go

• bn_0993.jpg.afe798ba30ba172087cb2f04fec2e896.jpg I set up the main gaff and needed to follow their angles to get the right lengths.  I am not showing the gaff raised and it will be interesting to see how the lines shift in the lower position.  I ran the line through the Becket on the block so it should slide. I am sure the real ones did, now that I have seen it is the different angles when in the up or down position.
  • bn_0994.jpg.d3e3ec240b271c61d925549a96925da5.jpgHere I chose to set up the main boom and gaff.  The peak halyard and whip are tied off to belaying pins and I will need to detach then for shipping and reattach at the show as I set her up. similarly the throat halyard is set up reversed,[ the whip is to starboard.}   The Eisnor plans do not show a whip on the throat but it had to be there, the sail was just too heavy not to need it. Note the double blocks up here with a triple on the gaff.   The double blocks behind are for the lazy jack which doubles as the topping lift in this rig.
  • bn_0995a_0072.jpg.da5c85011be07ede1624a163e522d7c2.jpg Well it's time again for more hoops.  These top mast hops are smaller this time and a my forth go at this process.  These hoops are the first ones that I am satisfied with as to scale and strength. their roundness still isn't great.  I saw some last year made from white oak shavings an they were perfect.   I hope to see TIM at the show next month and learn some more.
  • bn_0995b_0073.jpg.2f2ff4df014ae7768c84230e8c93e918.jpghere they are varnished and ready to set
  • bn_0995c_0075.jpg.3b6ee1121dbc75486dd9c39ce996cdcc.jpgHere I am experimenting with a new type block.  these come from Syren ship model and need to be assembled.  They are a bit tricky at first but they are really good to look at.  I will incorporate some of them into the works.
  • 58c85256b22e8_bn_0995d_0076.jpg.a14e4c50fe49aeec65cb6582dced0631.jpgHere I am painting up the Bluejacket metal blocks that I like to use where I want strength as well as looks.
  • bn_0995e_0080.jpg.55acb82d457301a88a06d0445794af14.jpgNow we get to the fun.  here I needed to splice in the main halyard whip blocks and suspended them between the masts to help get a little tension in the line.
  • bn_0995f_0081.jpg.53c4c6a57e9cac55a0912f7afdae936a.jpgThis is my newest favorite detail.  I learned about this at the Lunenburg museum.  The bales actually came to rings to fit a shackle the held the spliced stay.  What I love about this scale is it forces me to figure out how things worked and try to emulate it.  The Jumbo Jib Halyard blocks are held by hooks onto the bale at a barb that I assume was forged. I twisted fine copper wire.  I may add a dab of putty and paint them out.  
  • bn_0995g_0082.jpg.2126410b8d74ccd1607dd7c1e5071338.jpgFor my next challenge the seizing on the twisted wire shrouds was painted white as I see the photos.  Here the truth is I missed it and tried to get away with a dab of white paint on the black thread.....let's see if I get away with it.  More about the turnbuckles later.  they are real just uincase we sail.
  • bn_0995h_0083.jpg.ed2aea56d0005003f12b98327d866100.jpghere on the main boom foot rope I switched to a white line for the seizing.   I also tried to capture the tail but as you see this really needs to be done again.  I need to taper the main line for the smoother wrapping
  • bn_0995i_0084.jpg.04ed20ab4fbd039303c4fa771ffe5611.jpgfinally for today here is the opposite issue,  the manila lines had tarred seizing.  To the point on the angles of these halyard straps in the first photo.  you can see when the gaff is horizontal on the peak halyard forward straps slide forward from the cleats, The temporary lashing is also the detail I saw in the 1940 photo of how she was when moored.  I am thinking about trying to add furled sails.......some day

all for now

cheers 

• 1 month later...

The last month ran away from me.  I drove out to Arizona then got a cold and ended up getting through our annual spring show living on comtrex.

bn_0998_1079.jpg.580c87fbd350ac67b9bfaf109397e442.jpg  i decided to rough out the deck cabin before going public.  I had fun trying to use steel pins for the bars on the skylight.

Here are a couple of shots of the set up in the Owl's head transportation museum up in Rockland ,Maine.  The main throat halyard crane broke in route but re-stepping the masts was not too hard as i only have a few lines connected at this point. The boats around me are from many members of our group...Downeast Shipmodelers Guild .   On Sunday a nice guy came by and told me he had personally flown all of the planes behind us.  He also collected motorcycles.  I guess sailing passed him by.

cheers 

bn_0997_111037446.thumb.jpg.eb6efbc53a149ca728e34e18b67e54d3.jpgbn_0997a111054807.thumb.jpg.ee564e571b8c0ce91d26de060211cc97.jpg  

Just thinking about how much line is needed to haul up that Gaff Jond. The model is looking great.

Yes we are still in the midst of winter here too it seems.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 1 month later...

Michael Pat and all who may follow this some day.  I have not posted in a while and this posting is to share what is being done. I am really at the decision time and that is why I have slowed down.  Also spring came and we are fast approaching summer. That means the real boat got worked on launched and sailed....all successful and tomorrow we go for the second race

Bluenose came home from the  show in April and others have asked for her to visit.  that means being able to transport her.  So  here she is in her summer station with a window view, a Brazilian parrot and a print of the Bluenose ll to keep her happy as I am truly outside and thinking about what to do.  During the last month or so I also took the two 50 inch Marblehead pond yachts you see in the photo below and sort of rebuilt them

593305560056e_bn_0999aAAA_1082.jpg.865a1fe9b365f02fe912f848d4af9945.jpg

I removed their decks, redid the interior sailing rig that never really worked, and replaced the old deck with 1/16 birch plywood painted out. My goal this summer is to get these two really sailing and then be better prepared as I need to decide if Bluenose is going to sail or not.   As she is, I can take her, de-mast her to go to show or whatever and set her up and take her down.  If I attach the shrouds, she may be stuck where she is now for a long time. I am not committed to that yet and thus no progress.  Someone suggest I go buy a VAN...great

bn_0998_1079.jpg.16a3cc0aba650cd2fa21486fa2c7e37f.jpg

Here you can see i roughed out the cabin for showing and worked on the different rigging materials.  Talking with others I find if I go ahead and fully rig her we will focus on learning how things really worked and try to replicate.  example...I have installed a sheave in the main top mast.  Nobody yet knows which blocks were used to raise that spar.  The foremast is easy the jib halyards are at the right location.   One thought is  I will display her with one top mast partially raised and sails furled like on a mooring between trips. that reduces the height of the model 15 inches

59330536a7c7f_bn_0999baggywinkle.jpg.95c48f928e32ddd9ab1ee3a07a194bf2.jpg

If I do that I plan to learn to make Baggywrinkles.  something that at this scale one can actually achieve.  So we putter along and do a few things and learn an few things and I suggest that next fall we have to decide the next direction....lots of fun detail  or less detail and make her ready to sail.

cheers 

This is an impressive model. The Bluejacket blocks look great. Thanks for sharing.

Russ