Soleil Royal by Hubac's Historian - Heller - An Extensive Modification and Partial Scratch-Build

5 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

Yeah, we go through an apocalypse every year. If we just went back to traditional methods of eating and living, we wouldn't have this problem. 

I wonder what that would look like in our modern age; small agrarian cells that feed individual communities or regions?

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

watching a video on the earth from above, was quite scary....huge cities sprawled for miles and miles, forests leveled....rape and pillage....like we're out of control....out of balance.....something's gotta give, our poor planet has become smaller and smaller....

but, i'm so impressed with man's ability to keep it all functioning....that's a miracle....how to get rid of all that waste, provide water, sewage etc etc especially to super high rise buildings.....the engineering is amazing......

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Would love to find that puzzle!  Putting puzzles together is the wife’s entertainment while I build my ships! 😀

Did a reverse image search. Found the puzzle in a lot of places. Here's one:

https://puzzledgamer.com/products/heye-corsair-1000-piece-puzzle

They call it a triangular puzzle; not sure what they mean by that unless all the pieces are triangles which sounds even more devilish.

This is a placeholder post of sorts.  My daughter had taken over my workspace with finals studies, the prior two weeks, so the kitchen table was never free until 10pm.  By that point, I had nothing left in the tank for modeling.  The NBA playoffs were also particularly interesting, this year, so my attentions have been divided for a good long stretch.

I did manage to fit and secure the under-framing for the tafferal backboard, but apart from that - not much else has happened on the model itself.  Most of what needs to happen on the model requires my utmost concentration.  Now that the kids are done with school, and we aren’t running around all over the place, I should have deeper reserves in the evening time.

I have been chipping away at the tafferal carving, itself, though.  I decided that the best way to go about this was to break the carving up into separate elements, as I had done for the amortisement.  Not only did this make the carving more manageable and replaceable by section, if need be, but it enabled me to more easily glue-up laminations of different thicknesses so that there would be a perceptible foreground and background to the composition.

The clouds in the foreground are the thickest stock, the horses of medium stock and the chariot the thinnest stock:

F6FDA3A3-16B5-46FB-9CE2-F8B4D56F9D73.thumb.jpeg.86206c4dcecc30060926b430bba1451e.jpeg

AB20F40C-EE77-48A8-8B77-CC077D21AC86.thumb.jpeg.67d9792fe2b4624b0c030a1f964218b7.jpeg

I have completed the clouds, which were further subdivided into port and starboard.  I haven’t taken pictures of them, but they are fluffy, happy clouds that would warm Bob Ross’s heart.

What I am working on, now, are the horses.  I began with the port pair, which was the more challenging side to figure out.  My thumb gives a pretty good indication of scale:

0A8BBB5F-8237-4BB4-93A6-F7D535F46BBC.thumb.jpeg.ceadcc8ba0afb622c3c2e832a5651a14.jpeg

3187988B-E4F5-438E-9E90-7BE9F5A1B60E.jpeg.c9485ee134f6330ce9679da6e1b1ade5.jpegF42FE791-08EF-41CC-9E31-4770BCB394B3.thumb.jpeg.05397e8fecddd7451db84bf610f64182.jpeg

AB91090B-3459-4AA3-9375-806FBC225D29.jpeg.5ddcbd0918af44635ef96df99d6e9769.jpeg

I’ve made a start on the starboard pair, which is moving more quickly.  I think the whole ensemble with capture the depth and drama that I am looking for.

Thank you for your interest.  More to follow..

Edited by Hubac's Historian

48 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

As always Marc beautiful work. 

Did you ever expect Denver to win the first championship?

Yes, actually.  I am not a casual fan.  Jamal Murray is really good, and Jokic is the best and craftiest passing bigman since Larry Bird.  I really like Denver and was very happy they won.  Nice to see Porter Jr. have a solid game, as well.

Yes, thank you Bill. Physically Dad is fine.  Pretty solid, actually.  Mentally, though, he is declining quickly.  Pretty much, on a daily basis, I shake my head at what this disease does to a person.  I appreciate the thought.

As was the case with the amortisement, it takes a good deal of fettling to get all of these elements to nestle together nicely, the way they were drawn.

I now have the clouds positioned and Apollo’s head centered on the cornice archway:

IMG_4452.thumb.jpeg.4c4db359c06d349c46cee6321ff9a686.jpeg

As you can see, there’s still profiling to do on the port side of the chariot.  I think this last element of the carving should be fun to model.

The horses will take some effort to get them to where they need to be:

IMG_4453.thumb.jpeg.8cbcc29ff33461edb857e8a107ee0bc5.jpeg

It’s really such a small area, but I can begin to now see where the fade line should be between the Cerulean sky and the Ultra Marine heavens.  My idea may not work out the way I hope, but I will try to create this soft transition with multiple dilute applications of the Ultra Marine.

Little by little..

Thank you very much, Bill!  Actually, my background is in woodworking, and I’ve designed a number of projects with varying degrees of carved work:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/tag/marc-laguardia

Oh my goodness Marc. That is pretty cool. As I think I may have mentioned before I have a long background in woodworking as well. Similar to our shipbuilding skills, your pieces outshine mine. Almost everything I have made over the years has been furniture pieces as gifts for others. Everything from grandfather style clocks, commerative hope chest, cabinets, etc. All the woodworking you see in this photo I made for our living room. That is why I thought I might enjoy trying a wood ship after I complete my SR. 

IMG_3093.jpeg

You know Marc I am thinking I would be considered more of a cabinet maker than a woodworker, if there is a significant difference. My dad was a cabinet maker at a company that made kitchen cabinetry and so on. Learned a lot of joinery techniques from him. This is a recent cabinet I built to store a lot of stuff in the “ship yard”, and my Victory cabinet. 

IMG_3094.jpeg

IMG_3095.jpeg

2 hours ago, Hubac's Historian said:

Don’t be too impressed, Ian.  That’s just a member page that I created.  None of my stuff was selected, as such.

Bill, you have certainly filled your home with some beautiful pieces!

HaHa!  I thought it was on the actual magazine's web site.....your work could well be on the back cover...........