Zeeschouw by petervisser - FINISHED - Billing Boats - Scale 1:22 - Small

I have finally started putting sails to model. This is always a favorite part of the build for me as it seems the culmination of the whole build.

I started by attaching the main sail to the gaff and then used a number of mast hoops to marry the sail to the mast. These were not supplied with the kit, but I had some laying about and decided to put them to good use. I then attached the shrouds to the mast before fitting it to the hull. Then it was just a matter of rigging the sail.

Here are some pics showing the progress...

I find this little Workmate to be a handy third hand.

post-2494-0-34881200-1396923706_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo showing how I put seizings on to tie off the shrouds.

post-2494-0-69285800-1396923764_thumb.jpg

And finally a photo of the model so far. I still have the boom vang to attach but that's for tomorrow.

post-2494-0-88583700-1396923883_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

she looks super Peter!  you are so right........;)   I'm surprised the hoops didn't come with the kit......they  fit in very well!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well, this morning I finished off the gaff sail by rigging the boom vang, main sheet and coiling everything down. I also re-did the mast hoops because I wasn't altogether happy with their spacing and positioning. I am much happier with them now.

Here are a couple more pics...

I use lacquer to keep the knots tied and the lines coiled. It is very effective and leaves no trace. I have left the tails on until the lacquer dries and then snip them off.

post-2494-0-42618000-1396973266_thumb.jpg

Here is the boom vang and gaff lift coiled down. Again, I used a coat of lacquer to hold them in place.

post-2494-0-22664500-1396973288_thumb.jpg

Here is the main sheet rigged and coiled down.

post-2494-0-01783500-1396973708_thumb.jpg

And finally the main sail finished. Now for the head sails!

post-2494-0-14346200-1396973697_thumb.jpg

Peter

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Peter,

As with the Unicorn your rigging is fabulous. This is a lovely little model. You are getting close to completion, have you decided on the next project?

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Well, today's progress is now complete. I have put the headsails up and now just have some lines to coil down. Phew! Now I have to pick up my wife from work so we can celebrate 25 years of marriage!

Here is a photo update...

post-2494-0-99457000-1396996088_thumb.jpg

I should have this baby finished in the next day or two.

Peter

Hello Peter,

Very nicely done, a lovely little working boat.  Congrats with your 25th wedding anniversary and many more.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

congrats as well on you anniversary!   hope you have many more!

beautiful boat Peter........the jib sails look great!   I have heard of that method of cementing the knots.....I toggle between CA and white glue.......I may try that when it comes time to do ratlines.    I too am curious as to your next build........I hope you have a prominent place to display her ;)

back when you picked back up on this build........I knew you would finish her ;)   glad I was right!! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Another quick update.

I have belayed the halyards and headsail sheets which competes the rigging. All is coiled down with a coat of lacquer and the paint brush handles are holding everything in place. Come morning these will be removed and I will cut of any little tails that need trimming.

post-2494-0-60535000-1397090398_thumb.jpg

I think just the anchor needs to be fitted and "Irene" will be complete!

Peter

simply awesome Peter!........I'm envisioning it without the paint brushes.    a great looking boat indeed!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Peter, thanks for the opportunity to view Irene at close quarters. The  fine details and your excellent  craftsmanship make this a really pretty vessel. Billings is definitely missing the boat (no pun intended) by not marketing this kit in North America.

Kip

Congrats to your completed build Peter,

the Irene is a wonderful built Little gem

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to say the my little Zeeschouw is now complete! It is always a thrill to complete a ship (boat) model and this little kit is no exception. It was a treat to build and after the Unicorn, a breeze.

post-2494-0-42680000-1397140415_thumb.jpg

I highly recommend this model to newcomers to the hobby. It might be hard to come by to those who do not live in Europe, but with the interwebby, anything is procureable.

For those who have asked me what my next model will be, I have the answer. It will be a Cutty Sark model, by none other than Einar Billing! I purchased this model third hand from Kip (aka Sawdust), who bought it from a former neighbour for some bottles of wine. It is an older kit (Kit 459 - Hull and Kit 565 - Fittings) with mahogany planking which must be replaced due to its age. I have always wanted to build a Cutty Sark since I started this hobby with the Mary Ann.

But spring and summer are beckoning, so I won't be starting that project anytime soon.

Thanks for following along and posting all your very kind words. I hope I have been able to give some of you a bit more inspiration in continuing with this wonderful hobby. I will post some more completed pictures in the Gallery.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a beer to drink...

Peter

congrats Peter!  such a beautiful build........you've done a superb job with her  :)  thanks for allowing me to tag along.   I'll  look forward in following your next build.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Love the build, the lines and you did a great job. The sails turned out to be a beautiful color. Oh Yes... the bottle of Grolsch bier is mouth watering.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 6 years later...

Peter, I know that it has been many years since you built the Zeeschouw, but I have been using YOUR build log more than Billings instructions.  I am a beginner and there are so many things that the kit manufacturer assumes that I know :(  Would you mind answering a couple of questions?  1.  How to affix the mast to the deck?  I see there is a block (Billings calls it the mast step) which I'm supposed to taper and then they show a slot (presumably drill a hole in both the mast and the block) and "something" (they don't say what, maybe just a piece of round) in both.  Is this really enough to hold the mast?  I have studied and studied the drawings and your pictures.  It looks like the mast and this 'maststep' are just touching with that one stick between them, but that seems wobbly to me.  2.  No mast hoops?  Yikes.  Any thoughts on fabricating?  I am starting to stare at the paper clips on my desk...

Thank you so much for responding to me.  Will try the rope for mast hoops - that IS the way they show it on the cover picture.  As for the mast, well, the instructions don't have it going through the deck at all.  But, since this is a model, I guess we don't need that extra stability.  I'll give it a try!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jan,

Sorry for the late reply, but I have been absent from the site for some months. As for "stepping the mast", I think I attached the bottom supports of the mast to the mast itself and then used tiny dowels to glue the mast supports to the deck. It's not too secure as you can imagine, but the standing rigging is what will secure everything properly. 

Jan (Amateur) is correct when he states that mast hoops are not normally used on Dutch sailing vessels. But I had the mast hoops on hand and they are easier to bend the sail to the mast. Easy way out, that's me...

Now that the fall/winter rains are back, I hope to resume work in my shop. I would love to see photos of you model and feel free to ask any more questions you may have regarding your zeeschouw! A PM will get a quicker response. 😉