CDW

A Potential Tool for Card Modeling?

I saw this new tool in the Micro Mark email advertising. Have also seen similar products in the craft store chain, like Michaels. In the Micro Mark description of the tool, it describes the capability of scanning and perhaps digitizing sketches for cutting. It appears the tool can cut all sorts of shapes and in lots of different mediums. I am wondering if there would be any useful application for card ship modeling and cutting out parts. Perhaps the technology is not yet refined enough to be as precise as what is required for ship modeling? I don't know, but would hesitate to spend this much for something that had no practical value.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of machine who could comment on it?

https://www.micromark.com/Silhouette-CAMEO-3-electronic-cutting-tool

I have a Cricut machine. The problem they both have, is that they are setup to cut image files, not CAD drawings. I have yet to be able to go from my CADs to a format that I can cut. Something simple like a building (all straight lines), can be drawn with several graphics programs, frames, decks and bulkheads, not so much so.

The machine has been sitting for several months, as I've been to busy to get back to it. This fall/winter, I will try again.

Hey Ron

What I specifically was thinking about is whether the machine is accurate enough to cut out paper ship model parts? Not to draw paper ship models on my own, but rather to use existing pages of paper ship models and have the machine cut them out?

I'm guessing it is not precise enough to do this.

I think it is accurate enough, the problem lies in inputting the existing pages. With the Cricut you have to scan in the pages, reprint them with alignment marks added by the Cricut software, then cut the prints, not the original pages. In addition their software uses the web browser as the drawing pallet, limiting the size of the print, to smaller than a sheet of standard paper. If I remember correctly about 8 1/2 by 6! They have released a new version of "Design Space", their software, but I have not had a chance to see if they have corrected this.

So far with not being able to go from CAD to the machines format, and the limited Scan to Print function, I've been disapointed. I have about 100 HO scale high photo quality detailing building kit files, that I was planning to use this machine to cut out the parts for, but they are 8 1/2 by 11 sheets and printing them, scanning, then reprinting with the alignment marks will seriously degraded the details.

I also have a Circuit machine and have used it with my autocad software. I have cut out pully sheave and wheels for a card model. Also for my riverboat used it to cut the roof trim and railings made from .010 thick plastic. Drawn them up in autocad and I believe I have saved them in dxf format. in circuit I had to position and scaled it. For the sheaves I drew one up copied mult units on sheet, it then cut them all out. Just have to watch the cutting they trend to pile up around the knife blade. Existing prints you can scan them to your computer and input them in as a jpeg file, scale it and save in dxf  I believe. These files can be imported. It has been 6 months since I done it but it works.

Lee k 

20160416_181105.jpg

20160416_204507.jpg

20160504_111658 sheave.jpg

Great report, Lee. Glad to know you're having success with your cutter.

I have watched quite a few videos of the Micro Mark offering in action. They advertise it is capable of 12" wide material up to 10 feet long. It looks interesting but I'm not ready to pull the trigger to buy one just yet. I wish I could test their scanning software and determine how precise it is (the cut) before I actually laid out the money for one. Seems like a roll of the dice.