Oostends schipje (Ostend shrimper) by G.L. - scale 1:20, building first POF Edition 2

Part 11: Laying the deck:

Only the port side of the deck will be closed. I will leave the biggest part of the starboard side uncovered to preserve a view on the deck beam structure and the interior.        
I start with making and placing small filling pieces between the bulwark stanchions. On the sides of them I glue a strip of black cardboard to imitate the caulking.

231.JPG

232.JPG

I start the planking from amidships and use a lath to glue the first planks in a straight line. At the sides and the heads of each plank I glue black cardboard strips to imitate the caulking. As the planking reaches the sides of the boat they can been cut into the waterways.

237.JPG

238.JPG

Edited by G.L.
added pictures

Beautiful workmanship on the Decking GL

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

On ‎29‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 12:35 PM, John Allen said:

G.L.

Your build is taking shape and looking very good. Really enjoyed the way you approached constructing the stove very nice.

John,

Thank you very much for your comment.

G.L.

On ‎30‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 7:53 AM, michael mott said:

Beautiful workmanship on the Decking GL

Michael

Thank You Michael.

I discovered recently your Bristol pilot boat log. That is ship modelling at a whole different level. It is clear that I have still a lot to learn. It is thanks to logs like yours that we can continue improving our skills.

G.L.

I add also the a small rail with 3 holes for belaying pins, connecting the jib boom support with the knight head.             
The belaying pins are made on the lathe of a spar of beech.

1.       I first cut the thin part of the pin.

2.       With a round file I shape the body of the handle.

3.       I then cut off the pin from the spar and turn it around with the thin part in the chuck and I round the upper side of the handle with a flat (triangle) file.

4.       The result.

5.       The pins in the rail.

249.JPG

248.JPG

247.JPG

246.JPG

245.JPG

Edited by G.L.
Changed the order of the pictures, but they keep coming in the wrong order.

As there is a stove in the crew shelter, there has to be a chimney. I make it of a 5mm brass tube sawn under 45° and soldered together. It stands on a small brass ring, sawn and filed out of a brass plate.

251.JPG

250.JPG

Edited by G.L.

Just behind the chimney is the cabin entrance. It has a gliding hatch and double door. I would like to make a functioning hatch and doors.            

253.JPG

Edited by G.L.

I glue the bottom-, top front- and top middle beam between the 2 sides and fill the so formed front frame with planks. The width of both top beams was almost double as it should be. When the glue was dry, I sanded the topside of the deckhouse arched with the band sander as can be seen on the picture.

257.JPG

The top side of the cabin entrance can now be covered with planks. I glue a strip of black card board between the planks because I presume the roof was caulked. In the roof the opening for entering is left uncovered.

258.JPG

To give the hatch the same curve as the roof I glue it together on top of the roof. A piece of paper between both prevents that the hatch is glued on the roof. When the glue of the hatch is dry, I sand it and make the hatch rails. On the front side the pincher is holding the front plank in place while the glue is drying

260.JPG

261.JPG

262.JPG