Hello

Zuko

Thank you for accepting me as a member. I might possibly be the newbiest newby ever to grace this site. My modeling experience consists of a couple balsa and tissue biplanes I constructed 30 years ago and a 6 piece plastic “replica” of Godzilla I snapped together at age 10, or so.

My nautical knowledge is less extensive. I’ve read Forrester and O’Brian and love movies involving tall ships, naval battles, or the sea, in general. I’m hoping this passion, and the help of this forum, is enough to carry me into and through my first build. My wife is gifting me a wooden ship model for Christmas: the AL “Swift”.

I embark on this journey armed with my passion, reasonably good artistic talents in watercolor and oil painting, drawing, and pottery, Frank Mastini’s “Ship Modeling Simplified” (which, BTW, is too complex for me to understand fully), and a familiarity with working with small hand tools/instruments.

I don’t, however, actually possess many tools specific to this type of work or have any woodworking experience outside of wood shop class in 7th grade. I also don’t have a well lit or ventilated dedicated work space. I’m frankly a bit intimidated by the skill and ability level of even the first time builders that I’ve seen on this site. I firmly believe most members here could build a better ship than me using toothpicks, popsicle sticks, yarn, and Elmer’s glue than I will be able to do with this kit...

Is there hope? Should I proceed? For now, I’m hanging on to the gift receipt...

Welcome to MSW.  Don't be intimidated.  Start small... there's a lot of good kits around for beginners such as various small workboats.  You have a basic set of tools it sounds like so you don't need a major investment. Look at the various build logs in the kits area.  Ask questions.  We'll help you get there as we've all had to start someplace.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to the nursery as well as advanced school of ship building! Everyone starts somewhere, so dig in! Do not neglect to explore ship model home pages on the web. Model Expo offers to replace 'goof ups' in parts if you get them info. The youtube has 'how to' videos galore and loads of stuff about ships. Rate tyourself only against yourself. You will be surprised to find all kinds of tools at hobby stores and etc. I am fond of some prisoner built models. And what did they have time. Do not rush. When you hit a problem, let go for a while and return to it later when the solution, and there are many solutions, strikes you. I can speask from years of mistakes. I believe I've made every one a person can make. Hang in there.

Hello Zuco 

:sign:

I am pretty new at this hobby as well ,so I can tell you from experience just read your plans carefully and always read ahead of your build .Jump in it , have fun ,and if you hit a rough patch MSW members can definitely get you through it.

All the best 

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

Ahoy, Zuko! I wrote a brief reply to your post in the other thread. My very first plank-on-bulkhead kit was Model Shipways' Katy of Norfolk, which is essentially the same ship as your Swift. I also had read Mastini's book before building it; don't worry about not comprehending some parts -- they will make more sense after you get started. I was hesitant in the beginning, too, because I expect a lot from myself and tend to get frustrated if I don't meet my own standards (which, BTW, are not nearly as high as the standards reached by some other builders around here). I mentioned kits by Midwest Products in my other post. I built two of them before attempting Katy, and I can vouch that they are super confidence builders. Swift is a good entry-level product, but if you should still find yourself balking, and you don't mind delaying Swift for a month and parting with another $40 or so, snag one of the Midwest kits off of eBay. They will set you up nicely. I can particularly recommend the Chesapeake Bay Flattie.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

G'day Zuko, and another Aussie welcome :).

If you go to the main page in the Kit Build Logs forum you'll find a Pinned topic near the top of the page which opens a number of Indexes to all the Build Logs on the site. Follow the instructions on opening the Index for Wooden Ship Kits and you'll find 31 build logs for Swift, some have been completed, some abandoned for various reasons, but no doubt you'll find most of the info on building your kit amongst them.

Have fun with your build.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Welcome aboard Zuko,

Like you I was a complete newb only a few short months ago. Now nearing completion of my second build I am still a newb but with a lot more confidence. There is lots of great advice and encouragement here. As Chris stated above my first build was a Midwest Daysailer kit I picked up off of e-bay for 30 bucks. Dive in take your time and most of all have fun.

Best Regards