Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Matti,

Love the look of your ship. Works very well. Nice, very nice !!

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Matti,

looking really good. Your bow doors are excellent. They look very much like the original. Also your kit has a much more correct bowsprit entrance. The Corel is very incorrect. Again I like the look of the aging hull...Nice touch.

PS: Thanks for your help with mine [Vasa photos you took of hull drains(:-) ]

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks, Michael, and Im glad if I could help! The paint look is inspired by how Götheborg looked when she was new, the tarred look is very vibrant and full of life and nuances. Its also inspired by Vrooms paintings. As a modeler Im used to try to replicate the paint jobs done by ILM on the Starwars studio models. They are very gritty and dirty, and I often land in that look when painting my models. For me its also emphasises the war machine aspect of Vasa.

Here is how the basic structure came out. There are errors for sure, but overall Im happy with the result. The kit is quite true to the real ship. I used balsa wood to make something to glue the arced planks to.

Next are the steps and details.

/Matti

post-3739-0-27232900-1374331473_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Your bow view from above is so perfect Whoa, looks so original to the 1:1. Have"fun"with the lattice walkway pieces, they take a lot of time. Nice when done but labor intensive especially if you will be using that 1628 line drawing as I did. I will look forward to your always great updates.

PS: If you are going to put toilets on each side of the bow, don't make my mistake. I put them in the wrong place. I had installed the lateral belaying pin braces first. Then put the two halves together.Turns out they (pin braces) were attached too low, so the "first class" toilets had to go really up front (:-)

MIchael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Cheers for the kind comments Michael! Wasnt the first class toilets up in the galleries? ;) llI be careful. Actually I got scetshes made by Fred Hocker, and Ill try to stay true to them.

The steps are rough huh? I thought the area was cleared after the arches were done. Ill go easy.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

very nice, the colours work very well with each other

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hey all. Just got info from Fred Hocker and learned some things about Vasa.

The small ports are indeed message ports used to handle things between the hip and a boat alongside. It was used to climb in and out the ship also. There is nothing indicating there was a lionshead on the hatch, and there is no evidence there were any canons in them.

The colors used on the 1:10 is the right colors for Vasa as far as they know, they would not look like pastels as someone said. The colors however is based on the pigments used, but not when diluted with linseed oil, so there might be some nuance difference because of that.

Fred Hocker explained that he thinks its a good idea to mute the colors when making a smaller scale model of Vasa, as he doesnt think it looks right. The big ships colors appear differently due to the larger surface area and absorbtion by the atmosphere. He thinks this is more of a artistic choice however.

Cheers

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Cheers Lawrence, your kind comments are most appreciated! I used different shades of brown washes on the planks on the weatherdeck also. When I mix the washes, I make them very diluted as the wood absorbs it very much. It is easy to make the wood to dark. But its really easy to practice, and if you do it before assembly, you get good control.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Done some details, among them the drain holes. They blend in more in normal light.

Also started with the galleries. I decided to only add the bigger verticall pieces, like it is on the real Vasa today at the museum. She should have smaller sculptures between them, but I cant do them making them look right. I could have used tiny pieces of wood instead of sculptures, but I decided to do it like this.

/Matti

post-3739-0-86367500-1374926477_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-10216300-1374926482_thumb.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Really nice painting, I see it like morello color through photo and I liked its spell...

The galleries on Wasa are characteristic, by seing only them it could be judged easily that the ship is Wasa... Nice and clean start...

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Lovely start on the galleries Matti B) There is some complicated geometry in the galleries and I think the key is getting the 'bobbin'shaped turrets right.Once these are fitted the rest should fall into place.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hey all. Just got info from Fred Hocker and learned some things about Vasa.

The small ports are indeed message ports used to handle things between the hip and a boat alongside. It was used to climb in and out the ship also. There is nothing indicating there was a lionshead on the hatch, and there is no evidence there were any canons in them.

The colors used on the 1:10 is the right colors for Vasa as far as they know, they would not look like pastels as someone said. The colors however is based on the pigments used, but not when diluted with linseed oil, so there might be some nuance difference because of that.

Fred Hocker explained that he thinks its a good idea to mute the colors when making a smaller scale model of Vasa, as he doesnt think it looks right. The big ships colors appear differently due to the larger surface area and absorbtion by the atmosphere. He thinks this is more of a artistic choice however.

Cheers

/Matti

Hi Matti, could you add a photo of these small ports, and boarding areas that you mentioned (if you have)? I don't see, in my mind, what you are saying. I have also always been curious of how the ship is boarded. There is no obvious boarding  area on the 1:10th.

As usual you so kindly helpful (:-) really appreciated. Regards Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -