Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Matti,

You really captured the weather deck stern braces. Looks really spectacular. I also like the wooden trim that you have added around the curves. Your Galleries are really coming along so nicely, yes its a lot of detail work, but so nice after its done correctly. You will really appreciate the effort. Great update.

Regards,

michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you for the nice comments fellas, they really gives energy to the build!

Ferit, thanks, I agree they are like a signature for her. The red color is funny, as it responds much to the lights. In sharp sunlight its quite bright, while it turns much more muted in normal to low light. That makes a nice vibrant effect when applied in slightly different shades.

Nigel, thanks. Yeah the construction has a lot of angles and shapes to get right. The "towers" are tricky to do with the parts that come with the kit. I will try to get them fair looking. The good news is that I managed to snatch a "reserv part" kit of this model (that is a kit that the seller has taken spare parts from and sold to customers) from the local hobby shop for very little money, and these parts are in that. That gives me an extra set and I can experiment all I want without any stress of ruining anything crucial.

Cheers Michael, I hope I can get them as good as yours. Like you say,if I pull them off it will feel rewarding afterwards. The messageports are the small ones farthest down and to the stern: 

/Matti

post-3739-0-71404500-1374947181_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

NIce work Matti.  Don't try to get too precise in the cutting of the towers using the plans.  As I recall, I cut close on the angles and dimensions and then had to spend much time fitting them exactly into place.  Any tolerance build up in the hull, planking, etc. will throw off what the plans says for dimensions. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good there. Love the realistic colours keep it up!

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks Mark, they sure are. I will look at your way of doing them for inspiration.

Hi Tony, glad if I could help. Do you have the official plans from the museum? If not they are really helpful when placing details like these. The plans are slightly idealized in some areas, but quite complete. You can use a high resolution pic of the 1:10 model for the portside details and the plans for the starboard side. That way you get a good detailed view all around her.

Thank you Coleman, Im glad you like the paintjob!

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Thank you for the nice comments fellas, they really gives energy to the build!

Ferit, thanks, I agree they are like a signature for her. The red color is funny, as it responds much to the lights. In sharp sunlight its quite bright, while it turns much more muted in normal to low light. That makes a nice vibrant effect when applied in slightly different shades.

Nigel, thanks. Yeah the construction has a lot of angles and shapes to get right. The "towers" are tricky to do with the parts that come with the kit. I will try to get them fair looking. The good news is that I managed to snatch a "reserv part" kit of this model (that is a kit that the seller has taken spare parts from and sold to customers) from the local hobby shop for very little money, and these parts are in that. That gives me an extra set and I can experiment all I want without any stress of ruining anything crucial.

Cheers Michael, I hope I can get them as good as yours. Like you say,if I pull them off it will feel rewarding afterwards. The messageports are the small ones farthest down and to the stern: 

/Matti

Matti,

As usual a big thank you. So it seems that I was working on those openings, not even knowing what they were for. Now I understand. Thanks (:-)

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hey all! Started to work on those towers. Still some shaping to do, but its starting to get there. Im nervous about drilling the center hole for the sculptures that sit on top of them. I hope they will work out. Id hate if it would crack them.

/Matti

post-3739-0-51845400-1375277408_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Hey all! Started to work on those towers. Still some shaping to do, but its starting to get there. Im nervous about drilling the center hole for the sculptures that sit on top of them. I hope they will work out. Id hate if it would crack them.

/Matti

Matti,

A suggestion, start with a smaller drill bit and build up to the size hole that you need. This has always worked for me in these type of situations, where I think that the wood may crack because of too much stress.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Matti,

As I recall, the wood for the towers is a pretty hard wood.  Do what's been suggested by starting with a small hole and making it bigger  Go slow and check the size regularly as it's easy to make it too big. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the kind words and tips everyone!

Nigel, thanks, but its nothing compaired to your detailed sculps. id be chanceless doing those. id love to learn though, so reading threads like your are inspirational.

Cheers Buck! Yeah the red effect with different shades on each plank did work out the way I hoped.

Thanks Ferit! Thats a great advice. I would have guessed it would make it rock hard but still with the risk of cracking. thats something to remember for the future.

Thanks For the advices Mark! Yeah I did like you guys said and like you say the wood is quite hard and took the drilling well. started small and made the holes wider little by little and it worked. Even the ones woth tiny areas held up. I grabbed a glass of wiskey and the dremel and faced my nerves.

Funny info, some of the old towers are slightly different shaped compaired to the newer ones, the old ones have thinner tops. Maybe they have slightly dofferent shapes because of how they are made. It doesnt matter as Im resculping them anyway. The originals are also wonky and different from eachother.

Since I have two sets I decided to not use the biggest towers but use the middle sized ones instead. To me the big ones wouldnt work as well.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

have you seen this link, i will remove if you dont want it here

https://sites.google.com/site/clayton707/swedishwarshipwasa

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

A big thanks, fellas, most apreciated!

Thanks Ferit, yeah had to paint it to see if it works, and it gives me energy to make the others. Its pretty repetative stuff.

Nigel, thanks! I try to get the wonkyness of the original, but hope I didnt overdo it.

Kevin, cheers for the link. Yeah Ive seen it, and Claytons work is excellent!

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

have you seen this link, i will remove if you dont want it here

https://sites.google.com/site/clayton707/swedishwarshipwasa

Kevin,

Thanks so much. These larger format pics. of Clayton's astonishing Vasa will be so helpful. I thought that I had found all of his available info; I had not some of these were added Again thanks

Michsel

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Matti,

Your tower looks perfect. I can visualize that your galleries will be spectacular. Congrats super nice replication from the 1:1 pic.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Lawrence, thanks! Yeah, I think so too, but I will also learn to make them better, wich is a little frustrating when looking back at the first one.

Cheers Michael! I think the small towers in the BB kit are based on the drawings in Landströms book, and they have wrong shape. This may give me problems with fiting the sculptures, as my towers are smaller. I really wanted smaller ones though, and will try to tackle the following problems if they come later on.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa