Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Matti,

You are being overly critical of your great work (like me (:-)

Your towers look excellent. Your small timbers that go around the tower are also perfectly shaped. See the photos.

PS: Be sure to attach the towers vertically, not angled forward. Though I believe that the lower towers should be all the same size. My Corel had smaller ones towards the front of the lower galleries, I fixed that. 

Regards, Michael

post-735-0-10552500-1375486665_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-37696400-1375486810_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks for the kind words and andvices Michael, nice pics also! I found it tricky to get them pointing right, they are not perfectly aligned, the small one looks like its pointing more backwards.. I did not get mine right, but hopefully good enough.

My work is far from perfect and there are many misstakes, both from me missinterpreting reference and me being new to wood, but I try to relax, learn and enjoy the build.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

My work is far from perfect and there are many misstakes, both from me missinterpreting reference and me being new to wood, but I try to relax, learn and enjoy the build.

/Matti

Very wise words Matti. I think that is the key to enjoying this hobby. Btw, for never have worked with wood before, you are a natural. I'm learning a lot from you about painting - thanks!

Best wishes,

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Matti,

Buck is right; You've never worked with wood before? you are a natural ! I would have never thought that as well.

R/ Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I just had to go back to your first post in this log.  First build???   You're not just doing excellent work, you're better than excellent. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey all, did all the towers. Also painted them. Because of the different materials I had to put on a thicker basecoat of red on them to get them looking uniform. To give them scale and make the surface more vibrant I used black washes and then light drybrushing.

Now I can start with the details and sculptures for them.

/Matti

post-3739-0-67324700-1375653769_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-25242300-1375653773_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Fabulous,just fabulous Matti B)  B) You have managed to catch the errors in uniformaty of the originals perfectly!I bet it was harder to make them slightly wonky that it would have been to do them perfectly.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Cheers for the kind comments!

Thanks Nigel! They are not perfect, but Im glad you are liking them. I try get good ref and only use my eyes and dont measure when I build, that way I can try to fokus on the look and try to get some of the shape and lines of the original. The backside is that Its easy to get things to wonky...

Lawrence, thanks for the nice comment! Yeah it feels good to be able to progress. I didnt know if I would mess them up when getting the badic shape, so its nice to have them done. They are not glued yet, as I will test fit the sculptures on top of them first.

Thank you Ferit! Im glad you like it, Its good that I changed it, as it also works better with the brown.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

love the finished result, and the red is just right

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Just a quick question. I see some ropes on the back of your ship. what will be the function of these. I might have missed this in your previous posts.

I cannot recall this on my drawings from Corel

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

The details are so time-conuming and really demand many skills. You have them and your model is getting better day by day. Do you want to older the wood or to keep it "looking-new"? Cheers, Paweł

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Thanks Kevin! Im happy you like it.

Cheers Pavel! Yeah, but if I undertand it right, I have way more detail work ahead of me when I star the rigging, wich you master. Thanks for the kind comment.I think Im close to the look I want now. Tarred hull with different shades of brown, but untreated deck with only moderate washes and many nuances between planks. Im inspired by Götheborg when she was new and also by Batavia. The artist Vroom is a big inspiration for me, his paintings blow me away.

Jan, thats wires for the light. They go in below her, but I have them taped at the stern so they will not be in the way or get pulled off.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti, I have already seen Gotheborg in Szczecin (my hometown) during the tall ships races final. Incredible!!! Another ship which was really nice was Russian "Standard".  I'll be watching your progress. I really like it :) Regards, Paweł

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

That must have been great Pawel, and thanks!

Here are spirorna for the towers. I looked at the 1/10 and tried to do muted versions of them. The original have different designs on them, but the ones included in the kit are uniform, but I hope the different paint will make up for that.

The paint: gold for basecoat, the brass looks way to shiny. Then add green in the pattern needed. Yellow and red details. Finally a few brown/black washes to mute them and make them blend more with the rest of the ship.

I only glued the two that had to be done before gluing the towers, the others Ill mount later on so I wont break them by misstake.

I didnt get everything like I wanted, but there are so many angles and shapes and therefore easy to make some misstakes.  

/Matti

post-3739-0-44690400-1375803113_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

very nice painting of the tops of the towers !!

A pleasure to follow your build !

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Matti,

Looking great. You also go the excellent and correct height on your lower tower cap piece. Gongrats!

R? Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

You know you got the towers right when the finials fit and yours are perfect.   I think mine took three tries to get everything lined up right.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Cheers everyone!

Finials, thanks Nigel. My ship vocalubary is limited and a mess of swedish and english terms, lol.

Rinkensk, thanks. Looking forward to follow your build! Im happy with the BB kit as its quite true to the original in shape and details.

Thanks for the nice words Michael and Mark!

Im off to Riga for a few days.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti

I have just had a look through your log. This is an exceptional build. Your details around the galleries and towers are amazing. I'll check in to your log more often, Great work.

Cheers,

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Cheers Alistar, Im glad for your nice comments!

Me and the family been on a trip to Riga for a few days. The city has a very interesting history, especially if you are into swedish history like me. The museum of history and maritime is nice and can be recommended, as there are a lot of old war objects there.

Had some work done on the galleries. I thinned down the lower vertical parts as I missed to do that before assembly. I had to repaint those parts, but not to much work. Its not very noticable in the pic, but it made a big difference. Also did the small rounded parts in the fronts. Those small fellows take some time to do. And I also planked one of the lower galleries. I tried to get some of the wonky style of the original, wich I find very beautyful.

Paintjob as before: different shades of red on the planks, dark wash and a light dry brush to blend and give some deph and life to it. 

/Matti

post-3739-0-44204900-1376251065_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

I think you have the galleries spot on.   I find it humourous that everyone else avoids "wonky" and apologizes and you're striving for it.  I'm rethinking my definitions when I see something that perfect.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Matti,

Beautiful. Mark is correct "Spot On" for sure.

R/   Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -