Hello everyone 

would anyone know why the US cost of a kit from Cornwall models is very high now especially the Caldercraft Victory kit 

or other kits, but on their website the  caldercraft kit shows only $964.17 in US dollars but if you  convert it on a currency calculator it will be $1034.82 do they know it and haven't updated their system yet 

Ronald 

thanks Dave 

so you are saying  that the UK price which is 783.59 which they show in the shopping cart if I deduct 20% from 783.59 would come to $156.718 GBP then convert to US dollars that would come to $206.96 is that the price I would pay or is the $964.17 the correct US cost 

Ronald 

Edited by ronald305

Well, don't hit the button if you're expecting to pay only $206 -- that's far too low. Best thing is to do is to contact Cornwall directly and confirm the price with them, which should be in the ~US$1000 range.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

oh I'm not going to hit the button, was getting ready to rephrase my answer or question to Dave asking if the US price of $964.17 is correct then and I contacted CWM this morning but will not get a reply till tomorrow morning 

Ronald 

Edited by ronald305
corrections

NO !!!! The Victory is priced at £890,just looked. 20% taken off that sum gives £712. Convert that to dollars and that is what you will pay plus carriage/postal costs. Anything you buy from them will be 20% less than the UK price plus postage as you are in the U.S. not an E.U. country. In fact,anything you buy from any E.U. country will have that countries V.A.T. discounted from their price. I often buy items from E.U. countries and do not pay their V.A.T. as Switzerland is not in the E.U. Hope this helps. Their price in $ is good I would say.

Dave :dancetl6:

Brian,as far as I was aware 20% VAT is the tax which I presumed is deducted. So what is basic cost ? Is that what they pay for things ? 16.67%...........So where does the other 3.33% go to,is that their profit margin 🤣 ? Glad I don't have to pay your iniquitous EU taxes,I left the UK a long time ago:)

Apologies Ronald for hi-jacking your post.

Dave :dancetl6:

If GBP100 decrease by 50%, (i.e. $50), it will need to increase by 100$ (i.e. $50) to get back to same price.  Prices in the EU by law must include VAT, which is different to the US and possibly other places where any associated taxes are added afterwards to quoted prices

Using a simplistic example, assume a site quoted cost of GBP120 including VAT (GBP100 cost plus GBP20 VAT@20%), you need to reduce the quoted price of GBP 120 by 16.67% (i.e. ~GBP20 given rounding) to get the price excluding VAT of GBP 100.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I buy all my kits from Cornwall. I got my Sergal Mississippi Riverboat from them. Here in Australia that kit would have cost me about $1200 AUD when I bought it in mid 2017. I got it from CMB, delivered in 4 days to my door, for a little under $700 AUD. Same with my latest kit from there, Model Shipways Chaperon. Nearly half price. Every kit I have got from them comes extremely well packaged and arrives in under a week from half way around the world. In all honesty, I would probably never buy a kit from any where else. 100% recommend them!

Cheers

Chris

all the talk about Thursday about what the amount will be with the 20% Vat etc. etc.  the price for US customers will still be high but thanks for everyone input on the subject anyway 

Ronald   

Edited by ronald305
corrections

I am sure Cornwalls's basket takes into account where you live. You will not be charged VAT if you live o/s Europe. I am living in Australia and my Cornwall basket now takes account of the new Australian import  GST rules but we do not get charged VAT.

As a previous poster stated we can buy from U.K and even with pp you are more likely to find cheaper pricing then model kits sold within Australia, which is quite maddening! One would suspect that they couldn't undercut prices for outlets in the US given the larger market there.

If you think you are getting ripped off by Cornwall, try buying direct from Poland, there PP is ridiculous and they probably don't deduct the VAT! I can buy Shipyard kits cheaper from Cornwall, then I can direct from the manufacturer in Poland, now that's total madness!

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

Gidday everyone,

I am struggling with this thread. Surely the websites for reputable companies, and from all accounts Cornwall falls into this category, do take into account where the order comes from and is to be delivered to. Therefore all applicable local charges will be added.  I may be wrong but surely this is reflected at checkout.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by pontiachedmark
Punctuation correction

• 2 weeks later...

I have been purchasing kits and sundry other items from Cornwall for 7 years. Their very well designed site shows the U.S. Dollar price for nearly all items (and all kits that I've purchased or looked at) and that's all one should be concerned about here in the ole' U.S of A. That simple.

Of course, shipping is additional. Cornwall is an excellent organization. I have only good things to say about them. Their web site also updates with currency fluctuations: I watch these carefully before I make large $ purchases. The U.S. does NOT have a national consumption tax - called "Value Added Tax, or VAT." In the U.K. this is 20%. :blink: In Europe it varies by country.

As many know, there have been proposals to establish a "VAT" in the U.S., which will likely never happen. Without massive federal tax reform, a regressive (add-on) consumption tax would blow-up the American economy in short order.:omg:

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Mea Culpa.:huh: I forgot to mention in the last post that Cornwall also has the best prices of all online vendors; this is especially the case for English origin products and virtually all the European kits and goodies. Disclaimer: I do not own shares in the company, but I wish I did!

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren