Push hammer?

Is anyone using a spring loaded push hammer, such as the one sold by MicroMark?

I have been using T-pins and pushing them in by hand but some parts of my kit are made from plywood and pushing the pins by hand is really tough. I have to push so hard while supporting the hull with my other hand I'm afraid im going to break something. I tried pushing the T-pins in with needle nose pliers but that didnt work very well either. Was wondering if the spring in the push hammer is strong enough to penetrate the plywood. 

Any feedback on the easiest way to insert pins for temporary holding of parts while glue dries? Would first drilling and then pinning work?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

I'm following Bob Hunt's practicum on building the Bluenose. On the installation of the waterway he recommends using pins to hold the waterway in place after applying glue. However, the kit he used to write the practicum had basswood bulkheads, while mine are plywood. So the pins need to penetrate the endgrain of the plywood. 

_MG_0175.thumb.jpg.efe9867ec053753ffd87e9f5715de19a.jpg

So I'm not espically looking for an alternate method, I'm looking for the proper tool to do this job. Odds are I will have more pinning to do during this build. 

But I'm willing to keep an open mind,

Dave

Edited by CPDDET
grammer

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

The problem is: the plywood needs predrilling (otherwise the splitting risk is large, and becomes larger by using a heavier hammer). On the other hand: predrilling will give unsightly holes in your planking that will not close without using filler.

You may try sharp, thin pins in stead of nails. Usually works better than nails.

I liked using clamps, like shown here:

Jan

Edited by amateur

If you’re talking about the little brass pin nails, these: https://www.micromark.com/Spike-Insertion-Plier are far more accurate and versatile for driving them in (and pulling them back out too). They were originally designed specifically for spiking model railway track, I have a set, and use them extensively for shipbuilding. I’ve had no trouble with nailing plywood, mdf and other woods. 

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Dave,

This is what I use.  Much easier than those pin pushers (I feel like I've tried them all):

https://www.micromark.com/Spike-Insertion-Plier

Much more control over the pin, and super quick and easy to install the pins and remove them.  For my first planking, I use this to push the pins just enough into the bulkhead to hold the plank in place while the glue dries.  You don't have to push them all the way in.  Often times, you can re-use the pins too which is nice.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I have such a thing.  Spring loaded barrel, fits in your palm...push with your palm.

It bought it years ago to insert finish nails into things like picture frames or paneling onto walls.

You have to be very careful with the amount of pressure.

Never thought to try it on pins for a model.   Now I have to find it again.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Dave,

I agree with Jim Rogers and all of his suggestions, even the right viscosity CA may be better than holing and pinning considering the time involved.

I am not a pro I rank myself as an amateurs amateur, model builder in training. I was planking my HMS Vic. and grabbed a push hammer, it worked well on basswood planks, ply bulkheads a problem I was very careful about pressure. About midships had bent 3 nails at this one spot (not a bulkhead) on the 4th nail with more pressure caved in 3 rows of planks 2 inches in width messed up 4 gun ports. Sad day in Mudville.

Was able to sloppily repair and the 2nd layer of planks covered the mess I created. I took that push hammer threw it in the bad tool box never to be seen again. :)

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

1 hour ago, John Allen said:

Dave,

I agree with Jim Rogers and all of his suggestions, even the right viscosity CA may be better than holing and pinning considering the time involved.

I am not a pro I rank myself as an amateurs amateur, model builder in training. I was planking my HMS Vic. and grabbed a push hammer, it worked well on basswood planks, ply bulkheads a problem I was very careful about pressure. About midships had bent 3 nails at this one spot (not a bulkhead) on the 4th nail with more pressure caved in 3 rows of planks 2 inches in width messed up 4 gun ports. Sad day in Mudville.

Was able to sloppily repair and the 2nd layer of planks covered the mess I created. I took that push hammer threw it in the bad tool box never to be seen again. :)

John, I had a similar experience plus the nail never seemed to go in straight. Turns out to be more of a wood shredder than a pin pusher at least in my experience.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

A trick I learned from a professional picture framer was to chuck one of the small finishing nails used for the corners of picture frames into an "egg beater" hand drill and use that to drill the pilot hole. A finish nail of the same size fits perfectly into the drilled pilot hole. It's counterintuitive. You'd think the nail wouldn't be tight in the pilot hole, but it works well.

I have one...used it on one build and its been in the bottom of the toolbox since...main problem is that it only works well with one gauge of pin...anything else is to loose of to tight to set collectedly