HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

The weekend is coming to a close and so is my ship yard.  Here are some morepics of were I am and what's new.  I'm making progress and feel I'm really getting the hang of things:

Have a great evening everyone.

Jerry

post-545-0-03307000-1381696455_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-56777500-1381696485_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-30473200-1381696521_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-15131100-1381696626_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-07352200-1381696662_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-52789600-1381696684_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-04196800-1381696733_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-89364000-1381696759_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-98305100-1381696774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Well your are making short work of this phase, and once again as good as ever.. Looks like you had no problem at all with the main rail. I had

A bit of a bad time on this area....... The less haste thing ! Keep up the good work. You will be up back to the poop soon. DAVID

Looking pretty good!

After seeing everyone's paint jobs, I think I will give it a go, rather than natural.

I don't want to hijack your post, but what brand paints did you use ?

Cheers

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

HI Rowan...

http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83&Itemid=496

This is a link to the HMS Victory color scheme which I believe you'll find very usefull since you have decided to paint your ship.  I use Admiralty Paints, a British product and I buy them from Cornwall Model Ship Supplies of Cornwall, UK.  I have no idea as to the shipping tome to Australia but they are quite prompt shipping by air to the U.S.  Never hesitate to ask me anything regarding your build.  if it weren't for the people on this wonderful site I wouldn't be anywhere with my build.  I have never checked, but I will, to see if these paints are available here in the states.  Take care,

Jerry

Hi David..

Nice to hear from you  Placing the bow parts was indeed a pain in the rear.  For some reason when I "shipped"  the main rail, as the manual says, it seemed to fall into place.  I'm real happy this phase is almost finished. I had plenty of problems though.  The main beakhead platform broke in half at its weakpoint and I spent a little time fixing that.  In my younger days I probably would have screamed a line of expletives and flushed the bloody part down the toilet.  But all in all and belive it or not, i'm having fun.  Hope you are well.

Jerry

Hi Lawrence and welcome back from the maritimes. 

As I told you before I spent a lot of time on P.E.I. and loved every moment.  I'll be checking you log in a few days to see how you're doing on your Victory.  Thank you for being so complimentary but between you and me I know that I probably could have been doing a better job. 

There are certain factors with regard to this kit that I feel are downright ridiculous and a huge waste of time.  It breaks my heart to spend so much time on details and then, later on, cover it all up.  At first, when properly building this kit, one covers up about 20 cannons and their carriages when attching the quarter deck.  And today I glued in the Poop Deck (photos will follow in a day or two) and covered the beautiful screen assembly, the steering wheel and most of the binnacle.  Also about 8 more cannons and carriages.  I really believe it's foolish to spend so many precious hours on ship building, especially when you reach my age, and cover it all up.  Just think how much cheaper the kit could be too if you didn't have all the covered stuff to do.  I hear people saying that knowing what's hidden should be a point of pride but I don't agree with that.  I guess I sound a little bitter tonight and for that I apologize.  Just had to get it off my chest.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend

Your friend,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Jerry,

I agree with what you have said. A person does all the beautiful detail and shows it to us on the forum and then covers it all up. Yes some people are happy with knowing that they have done it and it is there, but no ones else know since they can not see it, big deal you have the pictures of it. I remember building the Constitution right before I went in the Air Force when I got out of high school, all the cannons on the lower deck got hidden after all the work of rigging them, now that to me was a waste of time, Thank God my father did all the rigging while I was in booth camp. When I came home on leave it was done, but he told me he will never do another model for me, the way he look at it was you started it now you finished it. I started making planes for awhile and the went back to ships, back then everything was plastic and there was no internet to know about the wood. But I still did everything with only knowing that there was hidden detail that no one could see. It all comes down to the person building the ship/model, you and me can say this and say that but we are not the one that's building it. But to me what a waste of time. When you get up in age you know there is only so much time left and so many ships to build.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Good morning Wacko  ( I don't mean to insult you but afterall, that's your name..LOL)

Thank you for responding to my post and for agreeing with my feelings.  As a matter of fact, I started this topic in the general section of MSW several months ago and got a decent response; however, there were no good solutions.  I thought about building the D'Agastino Cross section kit of the HMS Victory when finished with my present build.  My wife thinks I'm nuts. One can't get this kit shipped directly from the UK to the States.  The manufacturer won't ship it here; they must dislike Americans...(Just kidding)..  One can, however, have a British friend buy it and reship to you.  That's a lot to ask since the kit is sold in several sections.  I'm feeling better this morning about losing sight of a lot of hard work but I still feel it's a shame. 

Have a beautiful weekend in R.I. as I know it's lovely there this time of the year.  I spent many weekends in Point Judith (Galilee) and can just smell the delicious crab cakes.

Take care,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I still can't believe the pace you're keeping up with your build, I'm lagging so far behind you now, but still having fun.  I understand your frustration with covering up so much of your hard work and I for one am not going to spend hour after hour rigging the upper gun deck guns which will be covered over by the quarter deck, just the ones that can be seen at the waist.

Keep pressing on!

Patrick

Hello Parick.

Thanks for your note.  I didn't mean to imply that I rigged all 30 cannons on the gun deck.  I, too, only rigged the ten that show through the skid beams.  Even then, when you  put the ship's boats on the skid beams, very little of those 10 cannons will be seen.  I also didn't rig the cannons on the aft qurterdeck since they are covered by the poop deck

Then:post-545-0-26176900-1382216730_thumb.jpg

Now:  post-545-0-97343000-1382216785_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for your uch apreciated response and take care,

Jerr

post-545-0-26176900-1382216730_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-97343000-1382216785_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Jerry

Well you are still buzzing along and soon the gallery's , the speed you are going ,!!!!!!!!. Alas I have messed up on my last ratline and had to chop it off. So I have abandoned it for now. Will do it next week. You will find the buckets a bit tricky, an idea you could try is to fit them onto a strip and fit the strip when they are done. If the buckets do not hang level top them up with water till they are correct. you will need a small funnel. Well done Jerry... DAVID

Good morning, Patrick.. Thank you for your complimentary opinion.  Encouragement isa wonderful thing.  Hope your weekend has been a good one and now I will press on.

LOL

Jerry

Hello Friend David.

So sorry to hear about the rat line.  I guess your still clove-hitching it.  You said you had to chop the whole thing off.  One rat line or the whole shroud?  I hope the former.

Buckets?  You mean those tiny  thimble- looking things?  I saw how small they are and wondered how does one drill through them for the rope handle?  They should have come pre-drilled.   I can use my glue dispenser to get water in them but I don't understand your premise.  I'll certainly be in touch with you if I have a problem when I get to the little buggers.

Take care,

Jerry

Hi Lawrence.

When things go smoothly I find myself enjoying the build.  But that's natural, isn't it?  Things have been going well the past couple of days but only due to the tremendous help I get from people on this site.  I sincerely don't know what I would have done if I wasn't able to reference logs of  Gil Middleton, Shipyard Sid, Derek, Kwevin, Pompey and you of course.  I look forward to working on the model every day as it is such a pleasure to have a sense of accomplishment as something new is added to the hull.  I'm still working on the Poop deck and hope to complete that in a couple of days.  Best regards,

Jerry

OKay Wacko...  It's fun to call someone that who doesn't get insulted.  Hope you're having a decent weekend.

Regards,

Jerry

Well here it is, the start of a new week so I figure I'd better make some progress as the days are getting shorter and I don't nowif the wife has kept up with the electric bill; it's difficult work in with candle light.  I know that I have had a tendancy to "knock" the kit manufacturer because of my sometimes frustration but today I must say, it's time to pay them a compliment.  I really thought that the design of the flag locker is something special.  So many pieces were necessary to put this puzzle together and it they fit like a charm.  It amazes me how 1.5 mm components can be scored half their thickness and still come out of the strip of wood so in tact.  Thank goodness for laser technology.  Any way here are some more photos to bring you up to date as I next prepare to construct the skylight.

Have a nice week everyone

Regards,
jerry

post-545-0-47116100-1382377624_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-44282000-1382377640_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-47110900-1382377656_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-24829700-1382377678_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-37827100-1382377704_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-55933700-1382377721_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

These are your best photos to date. Your build is looking really impressive. Well done with those lockers and the poop deck. I said to you I was a bit concerned about height of the poop deck at the barricade. But I was totally wrong as your capping rail shows. Well done Jerry . DAVID ....BTW Topping up of the buckets with water was a joke. Well it was supposed to be.

Very funny, David.  I fell for it; spent a  half hour trying to decypher what you were talking about.  I had another part fly ouf a spring loaded holder and disappear.  Another one of those snatch-blocks.  I had make one of the bow snatch blocks and now I had to make my own stern snatch block...no-one will ever know the difference.  Thanks foryour much appreciated thoughts.  I hope you have a pleasant evening.

Jerry

P.S.  If I ever find the part that flew away, I'm going to burn it.

Edited by Jerry

HI Rowan...

http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83&Itemid=496

This is a link to the HMS Victory color scheme which I believe you'll find very usefull since you have decided to paint your ship.  I use Admiralty Paints, a British product and I buy them from Cornwall Model Ship Supplies of Cornwall, UK.  I have no idea as to the shipping tome to Australia but they are quite prompt shipping by air to the U.S.  Never hesitate to ask me anything regarding your build.  if it weren't for the people on this wonderful site I wouldn't be anywhere with my build.  I have never checked, but I will, to see if these paints are available here in the states.  Take care,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

If I can't get them in Australia I can easily get them shipped to my US address and diverted to me in Australia if they ship to US.

Thanks for the link. It was very useful.

Kind regards

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Hi Lawrence.

Whoa!  What you did regarding the signal flags is tremendous.  I took the easy way out.  I rolled paper to fit the cubby holes and painted a few touches of color to make them look more than rolls of paper.  I've had a lot of experience rolling paper in my youth, if you know what I mean.  LOL.  Nice to hear from you.  I'm currently working on the poop deck barricade assembly and concerned about drilling the small brass pails for their rope handles.  Oh well, onward and onward..

Best regards,

Jerry

Hello everone:

We're about to enter the weekend and I'm about to begin what I consider a very exciting step in the construction of my Victory, the stern fascia.  It took a pretty good amount of time to prepare the buckets with rope handles and mount them to the the Poop Barricade Assembly.  21 buckets, handled and painted individually was another example of all the repetitive operations necessary to construct this amazing model.  Happy to say it's finished and I'm ready to prod ahead witht he stern fascia.  Here are some additional photos of my progress:

Best regards,

Jerry

post-545-0-15822300-1382711929_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-91252500-1382711954_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-13064900-1382711983_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-79050100-1382712004_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-66433500-1382712028_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-24028600-1382712057_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-90390200-1382712102_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-70379700-1382712129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Jerry

Well what can I say about those buckets!!!!!!! I warned you about that bottle of Jack Daniels !! Be careful you don't mix those window frames up . I pigging did!!! Looks like you are about done on the deck. Well done. Don't worry about replying yet , wait till you sober up DAVID

Lawrence,

I took the easy way out regarding the "rope" handles.  David, (Shipyard Sid) told me he held each one in his hand s he drilled it for the rope hole.  I used CA cement.  I attached one side of each bucket, then went back and made a loop and glued the other side.  I trimmed any excess string with a scissors.  After painting them black I'm sure it mad no difference at all.  Have a nice weekend.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Tanks for your encouragement, Patrick.  Now the fun really starts in building the stern fascia.  I appreciate your visit and hope to hear from you again soon.  Thanks,

Jerry

Progress is being made.  As I mentioned before there are several construction steps that are not referenced in the manual or the plans.  For example; the 24 black vertical trim strips on the stern fascia is never mentioned.  If it weren't for MSW people who were able to explain this trim, I never would have known if this decoration was merely painted on or if it was three dimensinal  (which it happens to be).  Photos follow:  Click on the photo for Description

Thanks and regards,

Jerry

post-545-0-48529600-1382977860_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-76920900-1382977879_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-00510600-1382977897_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-55171000-1382977915_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-35621100-1382977936_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-25179000-1382977960_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-47650300-1382977984_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-23342800-1382978000_thumb.png

Edited by Jerry