HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Hello Lawrence, Good to hear from you again and many thanks for your nice words regarding my build.  It's been fun lately since I'm not feeling bored with repetition.  However,  I just finished 2 hours of frustration trying to find a cast lead part of the ship's bell for the belfry that's part of the breast beam assembly.  I was about to give up looking when lo and behold I found it mixed in with a slew of other cast parts in a tiny bag  (all the bags are tiny...thank goodness for my magnifying lamp.)  Now I need to figure out how to make the darn assembly.  The belfry handle has a hole in it for a line, I guess, that's so small in diameter I can't see it with my naked eye.  I see it under magnification and I don't think it's large enough even for a sewing needle threader which is what I normally use for threding line.  Anyway, all is well again so have a great evening and take care. 

Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence...

Thanks for he threadnig tip.  Actually, there's no call for threading the bell ringer so 'll just leave it alone.  It's amazing to me how the maufacturer is able to produce a brass etched part witha hole so small in it.  I'm guessing that the diameter of this hole is less than a quarter mm.  Good to hear from you and enjoy your weekend.

Jerry

Happy Saturday everyone...Moving right along, here are some new photos marking my progress.  I must say that the kit does have some flaws but I managed to conquer the mistakes and get a bit ahead.  To be specific, when assemblong the Quarterdeck Barricade Aseembly the kit maker marked certain pieces with small holes in order to correctly position the supports and turned columns.  They were way off so I glued the pieces and then realized that they were wrong.  I removed the parts and reglued them in their correct spots.  This unfortunately lead to some ugly glue joints and hopefully the good old black paint did a good cover-up job.  Next, it's the waist ladders' turn to be made and properly placed.  Have a great weekend everyone.  Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-09731800-1379190943_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-28609100-1379190979_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-50823200-1379190993_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-62122600-1379191011_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-79337100-1379191039_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-75419200-1379191058_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thanks, Lawrence.  Today's difficulty was notching the bottoms of the 3x3mm pieces.  I finally figured a method.  I put the 6mm long piece in a vice and filed half the bottom carefully until I was 1mm deep.  Then i realized that I could also cut a notch with my xacto knife.  As I work more and more with "microscopic" parts I also realize that my eyes, indeed, are 81 years old.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend. 

Jerry

Thanks again, Lawrence..  But I must assure you that age is only a number.  Sure I have my share of aches and pains. but I ignore them unless It's impossible to do anything.  I think having been a profesisonal athlete during my very young years has helped my agility but it sure has played havoc on parts of my body.  Have a very nice Sunday and I'll talk to you soon, I'm sure.

Best to you,

Jerry

Good morning, Patrick and many thanks for your kind comments.  I feel as if I'm really moving along now.  Hope you have a great Sunday.

Regards,

Jerry

Another day, another litle bit.....  Waist Ladders installed and Quarterdeck Riigng opening lined.  What a bugger to line the rigging opening..But eventually i was able to work with the small wood again and the results are here; even was able to do 45 degree joints.  The rail lines for the ladders will come later when the barricade railings for the skid beam opening is made safe  (for the crew that is.)  Tomorrow I will try and tackle the main Companionway.  I left some lines attached to the stantions on the upper gun deck to use as guides for the wooden railings that need to find their way back to the upper gun deck stairway.  I hope this works...Well, we'll find out tomorrow.  Now it's break time and a little bit of on-line Texas Hold 'Em.  Take care,

Jerry

post-545-0-90999400-1379449650_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-11817100-1379449669_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-96702100-1379449691_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-49294400-1379449713_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Well this build is moving along at some pace !!!! and still as good as ever. But Jerry I think you may have been Sussed out. I reckon you have a team of builders helping you. Come clean Jerry!!!! Keep up the good work.......DAVID. Nearly 800 bloody clove hitches and still on the foremast!!!!!

Hello David..

I don't kmow if he have Boy Scouts in the UK, but if they do you'll make a great Scout leader.  No one around can teach how to tie a clove hitch knot better than you.  I am definitely not looking forward to tying all those knots.  I'm almost ready to take a break from Victory; my eyes are having a tough time lately.  But you are correct.  I have had a lot of help from some other guys, especially you and Gil.  Take care,

Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence..I appreciate your comments on my build.  One thing about you, you always put me in a good mood first thing in the morning because of the nice things you say.  Now about the chopper:

There is no question in my mind that using a chopper correctly to cut your strip wood to size is more efficient and accurate than using a mitre box and razor blade saw.  However, I also use the mitre box combo in certain situations.  For example, I'd rather use the mitre box for cuts other than 90 degrees and when cutting strip wood wider than 5mm.  When using the mitre box it is also important to hold the piece of wood you are cutting very tightly as it will have a tendency to slip.  The chopper is capable of handling  both of the forementioned operations but, in my opinion, the construction effeciency drops.  If, for example, one needs to cut several pices of strip wood to the same size, just clamp one of the 90 degree "stops" that comes with the chopper in the right place and a number of cuts can be made without changing anything.  Check that the stop hasn't loosened once in a while.  Just picture making a hundred pieces of 4 or 5mm wide by 80mm long strips (for decking for example) using the mitre box as opposed to the chopper.  I'm sure you get what I mean.

I own the Chopper III which I bought from Northwwest Short Line, Box 1349, Hamilton MT 59840...USA.  Their web site is www.NWSL.com and their telephone nnumber is 406-375-7555, fax 406-375-7559...email  sales@0s0rail.com...

When using this tool please be extremely cautious.  I have cut my finger(s) at least three times during the current build cycle.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if I can help further.

Jerry

Another Saturday has come around and although the days are going by faster the progress has begun to slow down.  It's getting harder for these nimbleless fingers to handle the microscopic parts these sadist kit makers have provided.  In addition the old eyes I'm stuck with are beginning to rebel.  Nevertheless I keep plodding on and have been able to provide some additional photos of where the construction of my HMS Victory stands.  Kevels, Pinrails and Shot Garlands....what a choice of names.  In any event that is what i have completed at this time and that is what the following photos disclose.  After this it's back to cannons and carriages again as the quarterdeck and forecastle seem naked without them.  Happy weekend everyone.

Jerry

post-545-0-83674900-1379795493_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-20162400-1379795510_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-45004700-1379795526_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-24759600-1379795542_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-22424900-1379795561_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-87093600-1379795581_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-06012100-1379795602_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-67265300-1379795617_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hi Lawrence,

Your welcome regarding the Chopper.

Thanks for finding my "fun stuff" looking good.  It is fun but as I mentioned before manotony is about to rear its ugly head again.  Making the carriages was boring after awhile but it has to get done.  Take care..speak to you soon. 

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I didn't do too much on Victory even though I didn't enjoy the football on Sunday.  But today I got a bunch done and I'll let the photos speak for themselves.  I'm really happy to know that i won't have to rig too many more cannons; just two more, I think....the carronades..  Well here they are:

post-545-0-65556000-1380578111_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-56899500-1380578145_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-14493800-1380578188_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-61717100-1380578201_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-59135200-1380578215_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-23121700-1380578240_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-92993700-1380578258_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-51002100-1380578295_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-60832500-1380578359_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Wow!

You must be very proud of all the amazing work you've done on this beautiful ship.

I just about had a panic attack when I saw the sheer size of the original pictures and the size of the box!

Keep up the great work, and I eagerly await to follow your progress!

Cheers

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Good afternoon, David..

So where are you with the clove hitches?  Surely you must be at least working the Mainmast bnow.  Thanks for your thoughts regarding my build.  I finally received the replacement sheet of ladder sides from Cornwall Models so I can build another ladder for the main companionway that I dropped into the hull.  So that's my next  step.  Have a very nice day, my friend.  Regards,

Jerry

Hello Rowan.

Nice to hear from you and many thanks for your compliment.  So, I take it that you are a building the HMS Victory too.  No need to worry; there are so many nice pople on this site that'll help you as you progress.  There is no way that I could have gotten this far without the encouragement and help from others here on Model Ship World.  Have you started your build yet? Are building the Jotika (Caldercraft) kit?  If, so, are you panning to keep a log?  I was hesitant at first about a log, but others, especially Shipyard Sid, got me started and I'm very happy that I did.  Let me know where you're at in your build.  If I can help you in any way, please let me know.  Best,

Jerry

Good afternoon (Evening for some)..  Well I'm back in business.  I've been spending the past few days working on the deck fore of the Beakhead bulkhead and what follows are pics of my progress.  It's perfectly obvious that one needs to be very deliberate in order not to miss something.  Fortunately my good friend David, (Shipyard Sid) has been exceptionally cooperative and has shared his experience.  For this I am very grateful.  Some of the parts were extremely small and I don't believe can be assembled without the use of magnification.  I use a lighted circular, magnifying lamp.  It looks like the Forecastle carronade cannons are next.

post-545-0-46976200-1381177169_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-49160100-1381177212_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-08526100-1381177249_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-46579000-1381177273_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-86323400-1381177304_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-92579700-1381177333_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-56196000-1381177380_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-96691700-1381177408_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-43720600-1381177455_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-07131900-1381177475_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Great progress.

But I will never get used to those two guns in the middle of the forecastle ...

Perhaps you should lash them up better?

Cheers, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Hello, Daniel...

Thank you for noticing my log.  I know what you mean about the lonesome guns on the Forecastle deck and their skimpy ties.  But when this model finally sits in a display case I don't think there will be enough motion to pry them loose. (Sorry for my poor sense of humor).  I just followed the manual and its photos and tied these cannons as they were shown.  I hope you will have more comments for me in the future as I sincerely appreciate criticism that will help me do a better job.  Take care.

Jerry

Hi Lawrence..

To tell the truthI was worried about you. usually you respond rather quickly to my posts.  I'm happy to hear that you are fine and on vacation.  I hope you're enjoying the maritimes as I have spent some time there and loved it.  My favorite is Prince Edward Island because of its Irish/Scottish presence.  I particurarly like the music, a combination of country and Scottish.  The scenery is beautiful and the summers there are so nice.  Seems like every time i've been to Nova Scotia it was foggy and so the scenery was impossible to enjoy.  Stay in touch and let me now when you are back in Ontario. I'm about to start rigging the carronades and then comes the Bows.  Take care,

Jerry

Hello David,

Thanks for the look-in.  I can't believe how long it apparently takes to do those bloody clove-hitches.  Does counting them help you sleep at night?  if so, that's one good benefit.  Yes, the bows are next but first I need to rig the carranades.. I think I'll do the breech lines and one set each of the swivel lines.  I'm getting a bit tired of being too precise.  I say that now but will probably change my mind when I get to it.  Have a great evening, my friend.

Jerry

post-545-0-30878300-1381344951_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-70652900-1381344963_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Here are some more photos of my latest progress.  I'm happy that i won't have to rig any more cannons even though there is much more in future construction that will be repetitive.  All those gun ports and as David (ShipyardSid) says "all theose bloody clove-hitches").  So ot looks like the BOws are next and that looks interestin and fragile.  Best,
Jerry

post-545-0-65804800-1381426828_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-93238800-1381426842_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-31458600-1381426868_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-83209400-1381427154_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-27619500-1381427171_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

she is looking very good Jerry, catching up with me now

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Kevin.. Long time no see.  Thanks for checking in.  I'll never catch up to you and besides look at the beautiful shop you built in between.  I hope you have a terrific evening.

Best to you,

Jerry

sorry Jerry im always looking in on you log

i come home each night with intentions of getting out to spend a couple of hours on the build, but real life just keeps getting in the way, you know what i mean bath tea catch up with the wifes day, my alarm goes off at 0530 so by 2100, im normaly catching up with online projects and contact within MSN and thinking of bed

next few weekends are also booked, DIY, as i have my daughter coming to stay with us in a few weeks, we have only just remade contact after 15 years so the house has to be fully finished, lol not excuses - but well - lol just life

my build will be finished by 2015 (year not time) lol still have 2/3 to do counting 37 sails

keep well

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin..I wish the best to you and hope your reunion with your daughter is nothing but joyful.  I can understand how your time is portioned as obviously you're still earning a living.  I have been regtired for about 25 yeras now but my wife, who is very much younger than I,  still works.  So, we get up every morning at about 0600 and I prepare breakfast, etc so she can have an easy start to the day.  The point being, on most days all I have to do to keep busy is work on Victory.  Sure, when one puts in the time I do the build seem s to go faster; however, I would be at a total loss if it were not for people like you on this web site who have helped me immensely.  The manual sucks as I constantly run into instructions that eliminate a part number or pictures that are totally inadaquate.  For example, at present I'm working on the bows.  Who the heck knows what a howse hole bolster is? There was no part number in the manual so I searched the parts list manual and found it. I appreciate your build log as I refer to it constantly for good direction.  All in all,  MSW is a Godsend.  Please stay in touch and let me know how the reunion went.

I wish you much joy and happiness with your family,

Jerry

Hey Lawrence..

Good to hear from you.  I'm well relieved that all is well and that the weather in Nova Scotia has been cooperative.  Enjoy the rest of your vacation and come home raring to go back on your beautiful Model.

Jerry