HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Hey Lawrence..  Thanks for the look see.  I'm planning to "decorate" the stern tomorrow.  I have to paint the big stern trophy of arms but after painting the "Victory" sign I think I'll be able to handle it.  Here's the stern fascia mounted.  Have a great evening,
jerry

P.S.  I'm looking for a part that disappeared...I found it  LOL

post-545-0-83347700-1382996775_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-80189900-1382996787_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-06652200-1382996810_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello David...How's the knots coming along?  Thanks for your very appreciated comments.  So far the hardest thing for me was painting the VICTORY plate.  It's amazing what one can do if ine puts his mind to it.  I hope to finish the stern tomorrow.  ahave a good night.

Jerry

Lawrence....Don't be so cute...j/k...The Admiral said to tell you that the dining room table is for pictures only.  However, I built my CuttySark on the dining room table in our previous apartment.  This tab;e is an antique and no way can I build on it.  I finished painting all the other figures and relishes that go on the stern.  Luckily they're all one color, baby poop yellow.  (yellow ochre).  Tomorow I will have my coffee mug in one hand and paint brush in the other as I paint that multi color thing-ama-jig. (feather, flag, etc)  I'm watching the world series and I don't care who wins.  I guess you're a hocky fan being Canadian.  I played hockey in college.  We didn't have a varsity team, just a club but we played "clubs" from other schools.  Have a great night...

Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence.

Just a note to tell you that I use Admiralty Paints.  Thay are water based and dry very quickly.  I get them from Cornwall Model Ships (where my kit came from)   in the U.K.  Have a great day.

Jerry

she looks great, and yes i am missing mine 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good morning, (afternoon) Kevin..

Thanks for aking the time to send me a note.  I wish you the best with your Bismarck Build and hope that you have an enjoyable winter working on this kit.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Okay, here's the transom.  I ran into a problem with the small cleats to be attached above the flag lockers.  There just wasn't enough room for them so I decided to put some on top of the locker close to where they would normally have been.  I hope the lockers are secured strongly to the deck so that any rigging running to these small cleats won't lift the lockers off the deck.  (Just kidding).  Here's the latest:

Jerry

post-545-0-38625400-1383084057_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-75188000-1383084081_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-20186300-1383084102_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-52063800-1383084119_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-07381800-1383084139_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thanks Lawrence...Tomorrow I'll take on the Quarters Galleries.    I'm not too sure about the paint scheme on these quarters but I'm sure whatever I do will work out.  Keep watching...and thanks again..

Jerry

Wow Jerry, your stern fascia looks absolutely fantastic, really makes the whole model just "pop".  You must be very pleased with her and your progress.  Are you going to put the hinges on the ventilation ports below the stern? Wish I was still wearing shorts and t-shirts.  Been out in my garage worshop in a sweat shirt with a kerosene heater going.  Fall is well underway here in rainy Maryland.

Patrick

Hey Patrick...Thanks so much for the very nice thoughts on my Victory.  It's true. as others have said, that when the stern decorations go up and the transom is decorated, it  really begins to look like a ship.  I left the hinges you mentioned off the build on purpose at the time the manual calls for their application as I didn't want to damage them.  I expect to attach them pretty soon and to do some other steps that I purposely left off until later.  Thanks for noticing that the hinges were missing.  I also left off the Bow medalion and associated decor and decided to work on them today.  Lo and behold, my kit was void of these parts and after a telephone call to the U.K. they are on the way to me.  I'm trying to make some progress on the quarter galleries and find their construction more difficult than the transon since they have to be curved somewhat and trimmed a bit.  I'm getting there.  Again many thanks for your compliment and appreciated comments.  Regards,

Jerry

David...Thanks again for your remarks.  I hope you are making some good headway with the rigging.  I bet you'll be a happy puppy in a few days when you get past your current "hangup."  Good luck,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Coming along nicely :-)

Love it!

DAniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Hi Lawrence.

Its been fun but somewhat slower.  I'm doing metalwork now so I'm trying to remember how to use my dremel.  The brass profiles are a different type o fwork and that's what I'm doing. Thanks for saying hello.  Later,

Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence...

I have almost completed the brass trim.  I have some grinding to do and will use my dremel for that.  There is plenty of touch-up and fillins to do .  Thanks for your advice regarding gloves.  The one thing you must remember when doing this metal work is to wear some type of eye protection.  I'll be posting some pics pretty soon that'll show my progress with this stage of the build. Have a very nice day.  Best,

Jerry

Good evening everyone.  I was able to get some more work on my model done.  The stern fascia  (transom) is now completed, profiles and all.  I had a small issue with running the top profile across the entire stern as the nameplate was installed a little to high.  So,  I made a decision not to remove the nameplate and to install this profile in two pieces. In addition the side entry ports are also installed.  There are 24 steps on each side of the ship rising from the waterline to the quarterdeck.  These steps are next in line to be painted and attached.  So here are a few more photos of my build.  I hope everyone has a great weekend.  Regards,
Jerry

post-545-0-44989600-1383356212_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-32923700-1383356254_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-97338800-1383356279_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-10189000-1383356308_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-36654500-1383356330_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-35922200-1383356352_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-45525500-1383356377_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-49662600-1383356417_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good afternoon. Lawrence...

Your many compliments are making my head swell.  STOP IT !.. Just kidding....Keep them coming.  So today it's the steps and i think I'm going to paint the inside of the side entries.  Red seems to sound ok.  Talk to you later.  But again, thanks for your many kind words.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Good afternoon fellow model ship slaves.... I love every minute of it.

I'm starting to add the brass profile trim as it was suggested to me by Shipyard Sid to do this before attaching the channels.  After the channels are in place it will be almost impossible to do any touch ups under the channels as the chain lates aand their parts will be in the way.  Here is were I am at,  this afternnon:

post-545-0-28763400-1383685624_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-49789900-1383685640_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-43470400-1383685662_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-56334900-1383685679_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-40788900-1383686029_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-15264500-1383686045_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Lawrence.

.Good evening...I believe you are referring to the circular object in the middle of the third from bottom step.  If so, this is called the "elm tree pump tube lining"; other than knowing that, I have no freaking idea what it is altough if I had to guess, it's probably the end of a pipe that drains something out of the ship. 

The manual refers to these "ladders" as you call them as steps.  So when I first read your note I wsn't sure which laddder you were referring to but now I know what you mean.  In my manuall they are referred to as "the side entry steps."  They may be called ladders in your manual so be it as it may.  Believe it or not, the decoration pieces that you mention are never mentioned in the hull construction manual.  They show on the plans but without any part numbers.  I found them on the plans and traced them by checking all the pages of the parts manual.  They have part numbers in this manual but the instructions never refer to them.  As I mentioned before, there are lots of errors and omissions in the manual and plans and Caldercraft needs to make the corrections.  Have a great evening and let me know if I can be of further help.  Best to you,

Jerry

Hello Jerry

0.04 am here. Here's 3 photos, note the diagonal cut away on the third one helps to retain the strop. I finished the stays with the closed hearts and open hearts . Some weird names coming up here.. Flying jib horse, flying martingales, jib halyard, I love this part of the build, it's very relaxing. Keep enjoying it . Bed now good night, DAVID

post-96-0-67409000-1383695831_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-73734900-1383695950_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-98635800-1383696236_thumb.jpg

Good night, David...And thanks for the photos; I know they'll come in very handy.I'll post photos of my progress with the deadeyes and strops when I start buiding them.  I still have a lot of brass profile to do. Later amigo.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Lawrence....So far there is one elm tree on each side of the ship.  I hope this helps...

JERRY

Good morning Lawrence.

FYI here's a close up picture of the elm tree pump lining.  Have a great day.

Jerry

post-545-0-79756300-1383743350_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I noticed the combination light and magnifier. I am looking to replace one of my halogen lamps that broke and is not available. I usually wear magnifiers when I work. Are you happy with that light? Is it a halogen?

Thanks,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hi Mort.

Thank you for your interest in my log.  I hope you have found it useful n some way.  My lamp is merely a circular flourescent lamp but works fine.  I look through the magnifier practically all the time working on the model.  During the past 8 months I have replaced the lamp once.  My one dislike is that the fixture seems to want to swing slightly toward the center of its arc when moved to an extreme outside position.  This may be from the tension on the electric cord; I'm not sure. I hope you understand what I mean.  I found it by googling the internet and it is not expensive, about $30.  I hope this has been helpful.  Please let me know if I can be of further help.  Best,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback. I have been using halogen lamps that I bought at Staples. Unfortunately one broke at the base. How I do not know and Staples does not carry them any longer. They are basically drafting lamps that clamp on to my work table. Hopefully I can replace it. I do not see any on the internet,

Your build is great. I have picked up many tips that will help me when I build my Victory. Please keep those posts coming.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Good evening everyone...Here is an update on my progress.  (Lawrence, I didn't wan to disappoint you.  LOL)  I have reached the point where all the channels have their deadeyes mounted.  At my next work session I plan to paint the channels and deadeye black, mount all the black painted chainplates and then glue everything to the hull.  There are channel support brackets that also will get placed once the channels are on the hull.  As a side note, and I may be wrong, but at this point, no where in the manual is there mention of the channel support brackets.  I noticed them on one of the plan sheets so I looked through the parts manual and found them listed there.  Have a nice eveing everyone and thanks for putting up with my blabber. 

Please put your mouse pointer on photo for description.

Thanks,

Jerry

post-545-0-50475700-1384208085_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-62358700-1384208111_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-41049700-1384208134_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-60176700-1384208155_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-88172500-1384208185_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello Lawrence... Thanks for reading my latest post.  I'm not sure if I understood what you meant but to set things straight there's a long way to go before the hull will be finished and the rigging begins.  I expect to be working on the hull until at least the end of the year.  The gun port lids alone will take a long time as I expect to do them as best as I can,  The dummy barrels will also take time to paint them and get them installed into the hull.  Any way, you are right about my psyche as i am excited since it feels as if I'm making some decent progress. And I'm sure you know that I appreciate the time you take to correspond with me and all the others that are following your log. I hope you have a very good night..Best regards,

Jerry

hello Jerry, good morning

the dead eyes, both pins need to be in the channel, otherwise you stand a good chance of ripping them out, when they come under some pressure of being attached with the chain plates, or by the shrouds

post-846-0-29520400-1384237473.jpg

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat