HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Hi Dave...Thanks so much for pointing out my mistake.  I'll remove the snatch bocks and install them correctly as soon as finish writing this to you.  Much obliged.

Jerry

So, I tried to remove the wrongly positioned snatch blocks and sure enough one broke in half during the process.  I figured I'd be able to glue the two halves together but one half went flying.  I removed everything on my bench, turned all the tool racks upside down but the freaking half-piece was nowhere.  I figured I was screwed.  The I got the idea that maybe I could make another part from the small piece of mahogony plywood the original part came from.  Thank goodness I was able to do it and a picture of it is below.  Both snatch blocks are now glued PROPERLY in place.  Have a good night all....Jerry

post-545-0-48780800-1378418489_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Nice work on the repair!

Methinks all those bits and pieces are hiding with the socks that disappear in the laundry...

Your Vic is looking very good!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Wayne and thanks for your thoughts; I'm happy that episode is finished.  Guess you're getting ready for cold weather up there.  Take care,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Glad to have been of help,your replacement looks fine. :)

@ Kevin,in that pic you posted those snatch blocks would not work either as the entry for the rope appears to be covered over. Has to be clear so the rope can be dropped straight onto the sheave. ;)

regards, Dave :dancetl6:

Hi Jerry,

Glad to have been of help,your replacement looks fine. :)

@ Kevin,in that pic you posted those snatch blocks would not work either as the entry for the rope appears to be covered over. Has to be clear so the rope can be dropped straight onto the sheave. ;)

regards, Dave :dancetl6:

thats an interesting point, i took the photo from Gil Middleton's build log

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good morning. Lawrence...No snatch block, eh...mmm, I wonder what you're going to do when you get to the bow rigging?  Snatch blocks are very important as they hold the entire bow rigging in place.  I think you better check the plans and contents of your kit, otherwise I have no idea what you're going to do.  If you don't have a snatch block you can't do any snatching... he he he!  JUST KIDDING!  Truthfully, I'm not sure what this part is used for either but it will be used for the rigging someway, that I'm sure of.  Anyway, thanks for contacting me and for your encouragement.  One thing for sure you are always upbeat and that's a very good thing.

I received a new chopper today and I'm really very happy about it.  My old cutter was falling apart.  The metal strip that holds the cutting arm was loose and most of the screws were stripped.  When cutting a strip of wood to size I had to cut it twice or three times before it would work.  Some of the cuts were not square and so I hope this new one will let me work faster and more accurately.  I'm starting the final hull planking and hope to have that done today.  Have a great weekend.  Regards,

Jerry

Hello Martin...Thank you for your very kind words.  I am having a wonderful time working on this model.  However, I would not be anywhere near where I am if it weren't for the great people whom I have met on this site.  I could name more than a handful of fellow model builders who have helped me immensely and quickly have come to my rescue when in a dilema.  Please come back and visit again.

Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Re the snatch blocks. I think I sent you a photo of the snatch blocks a while back. Dave's right the snatch blocks are open topped. See plan sheet 5. Here is a photo of mine.The second photo is jotikas own build, and as you can see it has no snatch blocks at all !!!! Regards DAVID

post-96-0-78840300-1378492480_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-12321800-1378492547_thumb.jpg

Hello David,

Thanks for the photos...I finally got mine right as you can see on the preceeding page.  I cracked on n half when trying to remove it to turn it right side up so I made another from the same stock the original ones came from.  You boat is so beautiful.  I frightened by all the detail that i have still to go but i'll keep plugging away.  I'm completing the outside planking of the hull today.  I have the starboard side almost finished.  Hope to finish over the weekend..  Have good one, David and best regards,

Jerry

vary nice work there so far i bet that took a long time to do keep up the good work

Hi Dragzz...I appreciate your comments.  Thanks for checking in on my log; I have made a lot of new neat friends this way.  Yes, Victory is coming along.  I just started my 7th month of construction so I figure I have a couple of more years to go.  Have a nice weekend wherever you are.  Regards,

Jerry

Jerry. I am certain that the purpose of this snatch block was as a lead for the Cat Tackle purchase. I don´ t have the Victory AOTS but a snatch block is shown in the Diana and Bellona AOTS books in almost the same place. Was probably a standard fitting as I have also seen them in pix of old Admiralty models. keep up the good work :)

Regards,  Dave :dancetl6:

Hey Dave... I hope you didn't take me seriously when I was joking around about the snatch block.  I'm certain that it's there for a reason and now, with your appreciated post, I'm sure there is.  I go along with this build in good faith that there's a purpose for everything that I attach to this boat.  I like to think that I'm too lazy to look ahead to see the reason for this part but the truth is that when looking through the

manual(s) and plans I get frightened when I see how much there is to do.  Looking at some of the other log sites does two things...it gives me impedous to continue and it scares me at the same time.  This build has been a wonderful experience and is in no way comparable to my building of the Cutty sark.  That ship took me a year to complete and was nowhere as complex as the Victory even though I had to learn Italian to read the plans.  I hope you have a very nice weekend.

Jerry

Hi Lawrence

You are so nice to remember my birthday and doing so helped make today very special.  Sunday afternoons are usually  devoted to football during the season and today, birthday or not, was the first day of the new football season.  I have a friend who has been coming to my house every Sunday for the past 10 years to watch TV with me and then stay for dinner.  No boat building today; however, tomorrow I plan to go full blast on Victory and finish planking the port side of the upper hull.  Once again I sincerely appreciate your thoughtfullness and look forward to our future correpondence.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Jerry apologies for missing your Birthday

Belated Birthday greetings

all the best

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Jerry,

Happy B-Day. And yes today ( Yesterday ) was the start of Football, but also still have baseball going, and the Yankees finally beat the Red Sox's (they didn't get sweep) May there be many many more to come. And yes I am a Yankees fan, have been since I was a kid and always will be. Keep the picture coming, she is a Beautiful ship.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Good morning Kevin...Apology accepted but it was totally unnecessary.  Thanks for your thoughts and have a great day.

Jerry

Hey Wacko...Thans for the birthday greetings.  I'm afraid you're going to have a tough conclusion to the baseball season if you're a Yankee fan.  Domination has to end sometine.  LOL.  But don't think you're alone in misery....I'm a Mets fan,  and that my friend is misery amplified.  I hope you have a wonderful day.

Jerry

Good afternoon David...

Nice to hear from you and thanks for your wishes.  Even if your certificate say "Made in England," and you ae getting rusty you seem to be doing very well.  I was happy to hear from you as I was beginning to worry that you may have been under the weather as I hadn't heard from you for a while.  However, I can understand your getting rusty since it must be wet and cold way up there where you live.  I'm hoping to finish the final hull planking in the next couple of days and get on with the quaterdeck.  Stay well, David.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Good morning friends...Here are some of the latest photos showing where my progress is at.  As you can see I have finished the quarterdeck, forecastle and waist capping so I decided to finish painting the hull as I prepare to embolish the quarterdeck.  Now that I am a year older I expect my progress will slow down a bit.  Regards,
jerry

post-545-0-12193500-1378913318_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-23474100-1378913332_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-98315300-1378913358_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-39470400-1378913377_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-19374400-1378913392_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hey Lawrence.. I'm not sure that it's a good thing that everything will be seen from now on.  I had a devil of a time getting the quarterdeck gun ports lined.  The strip wood, 1x10mm walnut,  kept splitting.  Every time I cut a piece it would split as I tried to place it in the gun port.  I rememebred an old trick: lightly spread some CA cement on it.... and that stopped the problem.  Any way, I am now getting ready for the "fun stuff" as you put it and hope to have some pics fro you soon.  Have a terrific day,

Jerry

Greetings

Well done. The decking looks really good, all spick and span. Your build seems to have taken very little time to get to this stage.

Excellent stuff Jerry......... I am doing the ratlines, my shoulders are aching, I have a slight headache and keep having to stop for a while........ It's clove hitch after clove hitch after clove hitch after bloody clove hitch !!!!!!! Jerry it's monotonous . I will be dreaming of clove hitches. It looks like about 600 on the main and 600 on the main I don't know about the mizzen, maybe 400 or a few more. I have done 330 so I am getting there...... Were ever there is!!!. I have got my next build sorted........ A Raft!!!!! .... Keep enjoying your build Jerry ....... And it's no good laughing!!!! You have all this to come!!!! They told me this would be fun. And I believed them . DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hello David...I thought for sure if you were going to become bored buldnig your model you would have been bored a long time before now. 

Repetition:

coppering the hull, planking the decks and more, building cannon carriages, Then there's lining the gunports, painting and could go on.  Good luck on the rat lines; you are really getting there; your build  looks great,

Thanks for your nice words regarding my work.  I had a real tough time when i started to line the qurterdeck gun ports.  The 1X10mm strips that was suppled was extremely difficult to chop.  And to make matters worse the wood would split as soon as I tried to place the cut piece in the gun port  then I rembered the old trick about spreading a little CD cement on one side of the strip and that worked nicely.  I'm building the 3 bow  gratings for the forecastle and I forgot what a pain in the booty that was (is.)  I made a change from the diretions and used the same 2x3mm stripping for the coaming as well as the divider strip in the grating.  I also decided not to partially insert any of these grates into the hull as the manual says but will place them right on the deck'.  I believe Gary did the same thing 

So I can now give you my first bit of advice...Your ship looks fantastic, don't get discouraged.

regards,Jerry

Just a little more progress to report here:  The Forecastle Gratings have been consdtructed, varnished and secured as well as the kitchen galley chimney and the two bit pins with their belaying pins.  A word here:  The predrilled holes in the bits were slightly undersized so it was necessary to enlarge the holes with a #57 drill which provided a very snug fit.  Because the fit was tight I found it unnecessary to glue the pins in.  Although the bits and pins were painted black, I decided to leave the belaying pins their natural brown color.

post-545-0-00379100-1379011075_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-16754900-1379011092_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-78431200-1379011108_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Well Jerry

This is looking something special now. The last three photos are excellent. I surmise you are working your way from the bow to the stern and the belfry assy next. If so a few of the small parts go with the grain and across the grain and will split easily, a coat of ca might help....DAVID

David,

Although there is the expression,"Assumption is the mother of a screw up,"  You have assumed correctly that I'm headed aftwards.  The belfry assembly shall be next and I will follow your suggestion regarding parts splitting.  As I look into the kit box I wonder how I got anything done since there still seems to be about a thousand parts still available.  Thank you for your compliment and happy clove hitching.

Regards,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry