HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Hi Wayne,

Thanks so much for your visit and for the great suggestion.  I will move the stropped deadeye about 8mm to the rear on both sides of the ship so everything will remain symmetrical.  The photo doesn't show it well but there's decent room to do this.  Thanks again for your idea; I definitely believe it'll work.  I'm attaching another photo which shows a more accurate location of the deadeye with respect to the cannon. Have a great afternoon. 

Jerry

post-545-0-79567700-1384891048_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello David..

Is that gun there in order to destroy the ship in case of imminent boarding by the bad guys?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Been away for a few days and just catching up on your log.  Still amazed by the speed you're keeping up with your build and she's looking great!  One of the joys of a build like this is coming up with solutions to the various challenges that present themselves.  It's all the more satisfying when you say "I fixed that!"  Keep up the good work!

Patrick

Hello Patrick..

Long time no see.  Thanks for checking my log and for your welcome comments.  I really appeciate the help i get on this site and there is no way I could have ever gotten this far without it.  Fixing problems (or errors) is satisfying but when one of these mistakes is first discovered it's scarry to say the least.  Welcome back from wherever you were and I'll be looking forward to talking to you again.  Again, thanks for the visit.

Jerry

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for he suggestion.  It would be impossible to move the entire channel back since they are inserted between brass profiles.  I'm going to follow Wayne's suggestion and move the one deadeye back before I start rigging.  In other words, I have plenty of time.  Right now I'm trying to figure out which gun ports get lid and which one don't.  I can't find anything readable that shows that.  There's a picture of the entire finished hull on the front cover of the hull manual but it's almost microscopic.  I think David is coming up with something.  If not I'll just review everyone's build log and see what i can find out.  Hope your evening has started out well.  Best to you,

Jerry

Hello everyone.

Just some reflections on the work of the past couple of days.  If you have been following my log then you know about my problems with the proper location of the channels.  No need to repeat any of this except to say that the suggestions I received from fellow builders are very much appreciated and I will use one to remedy the situation.  Now, about the chain plates and their installation.  The first thing I believe is a warning of such.  With the Caldercraft kit  (Joyika) ,  when cutting apart the the three sections of the etched sheeted  chainplate ( some only have two sections) be very careful.   I was almost brought to tears when more than once I dropped a section or two and spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to find them.  I have a remedy that works well for me.  It is so simple that I almost feel foolish telling you all.  Simply wear a shop apron and most of the time when you drop one of these little buggers you'll find it in the lap of your apron.  It is also important to note that one must be very careful when cutting these sections apart.  One fraction of a mm can cause the destruction of the "safety pin" like section that eventullay is closed after the loop section is strung on it and the assembly is threaded through the bottom of the strop.  I wholeheartedly agree that the chainplates should be painted black while (whilst...for you Britishers)   before removing them from the sheet.  They're still going to have to be touched up however.  Last but not least,  make sure you use the proper size drill for the pins that hold the chainplates to the hull.  It's a lot easier to push the pins in then having to hammer them.  I hope this helps someone. 

I also have drilled a 2mm hole in all the gun ports for the dummy guns as I didn't want that operation to interfere with mounting the gun port lids which I have begun preparing.  I hope everyone has a great evening...

Jerry

post-545-0-60482100-1384978722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thanks so much Lawrence for your kind response.  More to come soon  (I hope.)  Enjoy your evening..

Jerry

Good evening everyone.  During the past couple of days I have been constructing the gunport lids.  I find this to be one of the slowest procedures since starting the kit.  Forming the hinges isn't too bad as long as one is careful to not mix the right and left handed hinges.  Attaching the hinges to lids was easy because I made a jig that I copied from Dave (Shipyard Sid) and I can't thank him enough for his great idea.  Photo will show it fornt and back.  The 1mm recess worked perfectly.  During this operation and putting in the eyelets I again recommend wearing a shop apron to catch the dropped pieces in your lap.  I dropped a lot of them.  The eyelet addition was probably the slowest part of the whole thing.  Remember, each lid takes four eyelets and they must be placed in the right position.  Bottom line:  putting in the eyelets in 42 lids took me all day today.  I still have about 40 lids to hinge and add eyeltes to and then painting them all is next  For some reason my fingers hurt...Until the next time.....

Jerry. 

post-545-0-69090100-1385156519_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-21525700-1385156552_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-48783400-1385156580_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-84695400-1385156603_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-84466300-1385156622_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-12268300-1385156640_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-02638400-1385156654_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-19395700-1385156835_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Whey !! Hey!!!! It's Jerry the jig !!! Bet those lids are leading you a merry old dance!! Get it jig dance. You are doing an excellent job on them,

So why have you piled them up for a bonfire?? Yes they look really good Jerry. OK head down and away you, get on with them, and have a nice Xmas. DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

Good morning Lawrence and thank you for coming to my log.  I had the same experience as you when I also left part of a drill in the hull.  It was completely flush with the side of the hull so I couldn't grip it with anything and it wouldn't move in any direction.  It was one of the mini drills about 0.5 mm.  At first I thought I'd try and drill it out but i realized that I would only break another drill as they are so fragile.  After trying to push it into the hjull I finally decided to cut around it with the idea of repairing the hull damage when successful.  That's what I did.  I cut around it about a mm wide and eventually was able to grab it with a needlenose pliers.  The damage was minimal and it looks fine now.  So it's back to lids with about 35 more to do and then paint them all.  Have a great weekend and take care.

Jerry

Hello David and good afternoon...

It's amazing how long it takes to do one bloody lid.  I have about 35 more to do and that's my job for today.  Thank you for your shout and many thanks for coming up with the idea for the jig. I keep it near the top of my table so "the jig is up."   It works perfectly and was easy to adapt to both size lids.  Every so often I need to scrape off some dried glue from the rear of it where the hinges touch the back but that's easy to do.  Have a great weekend and I hope your rigging isn't driving you nuts.  Thanks again for the jig idea...

Jerry the Jig

Jerry,

those lids seam to go on forever, dont they?, not that it matters at the present time, but i think i have a couple more to do, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good evening, kevin and many thanks for the look-see.  So far the hardest part with respwct to the lids were making up the scuttles.  I'm happy to say that i have 42 middle and upper deck lids ready for painting, 32 lower deck lids with scuttles attched ( see photo) ready for eyelets and painting.  In other words, I'm getting there.  Actually, I need a ay off but this ship modelling thing is so addictive.  Have a great Sunday.

Jerry

post-545-0-01918000-1385247261_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence...

Before I moved to Florida, I lived in NW Arkanasas; the climate was totally unpredictable.  Sometimes the January temperature outside was 72 degrees F. and the next year it could be -15 degrees F.  Not much snow would fall but it would ice up a lot and that made driving treacherous.  So, when I see the weather reports as to what is happening up north I fully undersgand how people feel.  We are about to have our first major cold front pass through down here.  The day time temperatuire tomorrow is supposed to be about 69 degrees and tomoorow night it's supposed to go down to 49.  That's pretty cool for us.  Since I have lived here (about 17 years)  I have seen one smithering of ice and one light brushing of snow.  It was all gone a few hours later as the temperature quickly rose to about 80 degrees.  People decorate their homes with Christmas lights, but it seems strange in this climate.  Anyway.  If you ever want to spend a few days in Florida, we have a guest room and you're welcome.

Thank you very much for your  compliment regarding the gunport lids.  I am now painting the red tops and should have the black finished today also.  I then plan to paint the dummy cannon barrels, install them and then attach the gunport lids.  With our Thanksgiving holiday beginning tomorrow I have no idea whn I'll get this done but I'm trying to remain steady in the shop.

Take care and keep up  the fine work you are doing.  I enjoy reading all the compliments you get and deserve.

Jerry

Good evening, Lawrence..

Thanks again for taking the time to follow my build and for your very nice remarks.  Yes, the gunport lids have taken a lot of time to do, especially doing it carefully.  I spent most of last week and all this week and they are finally painted and ready for the ship.  I painted the red side first, then the black side.  Then I went back and touched up the red edges of the lids that accidentally got stained with black paint.  Then I painted the eyelets black on the red side of the lid.

To specifically answer your question the litttle door is made from 3.0 x 0.5 walnut stripping and is 3mm wide by 5mm long.  The etched brass fitting (the scuttle hinge) is very tiny, 2mm wide x 3mm long.  I hae provided a closeup as best I could for your perusal.

Don't work too hard on your house as Christmas is still a good distance away.  At least you don't have Thanksgiving to interrupt your doings.  I hope I have been of some help and have a nice night.

Your friend,

Jerry

post-545-0-09153600-1385599946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good morning, Nick...

Thanks for looking in on my log.  You are so right!  But it seems as if everything right now is ABC.  Now that the gunport lids are ready for installation, I've decided to thread them first.  I believe this will make it a lot easier than doing this after the lids are attached.  I also believe it will be better to install the dummy barrels before attaching the lids.  Of course there are the holes for he the thread to drill and the rigols to glue on.  So there's plenty to do over the weekend.  I'm enjoying reviewing the logs of others as the information I learn doing this is invaluable.  Hope you have a great weekend,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Good morning, Lawrence.

I'm not so sure you meant to send me the picture of your strops and channels.  You did send this photo to me on November 12th.  I'm only mentioning this because you may have meant to send it to someone else.  In any event have a great day.

Jerry

Good afternoon, Lawrence..

I think you're doing too much yard work and it's effecting your awareness.  JUST KIDDING!  No need to worry about the pics; leave them be as they can always be referred to for some reason or another.  Happy to hear you are making some progress in spite of the outdoor work.  Tying the chains in takes some time so take it easy.  I have finished gluing the rigols on the hull and have begun to thread the lanyards into the gun lids.  This will take quite some time.  I'm trying to decide as to how to attach the thread to the lid.  I could merely make a square not at the eyelet end or get real fancy and pull a Gil Middleton.  By that I mean to pierce the thread a couple of times at the eyelet end and give it the effect of a looped lanyard.  I'm going to watch a football game and worry about it later.  Have a great weekend.

Jerry

post-545-0-35146600-1385747827_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-34486000-1385747852_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-32979600-1385747867_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Looking great,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin...Much obliged for the look see at my log.  I appreciate your comment for sure.

Take care,

Jerry

David...I hope your bow work is coming along well.  Most people look at the bow for along time since it has so much "stuff" on it.  Doing everything well there looks to be a real time eater.  The best, David.  I'll check out Yon's page 12 as you suggested.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hi Lawrence...

Thanks for the welcome comments.  I'll have some more pictures tomorrow as I expect to have the gunport lids all attached by then.  I need to paint the gun barrels and glue them in also.  That comes Wednesday, I hope.  Looking forward to seeing some more good stuff coming out of your shipyard...Have fun, Jerry

Good morning, lawrence..

Looks like your sore muscles will be getting a break as it seems you are slowly but surely winding down the outdoor chores.  I'm not rubbing it in but oh, how glad I am to be living in the sub tropical weather without worries of leaves and snow.  With respect to tying the lanyards to the gunport lids, I tried Gil's method on the first two or three lanyards and realized that,  because of my ignorance of his method, I probably wasn't getting the proper results.  So, I went to another method which requires patience also.  It doesn't look like a splicing but it gets the job done and I'm happy with it.  I use the half square knot with a drop of CA, then, using Yon's ides, I stretch the the two lanyards and apply a very light coat of CA on them to stiffen them.  This way the lanyards enter the small holes in the hull easily before gluing the lid and hinges in place.  I know this method won't look as good but I'm very happy with it.  It's a matter as to what means the most to you.  Gil's work is incomparable and top of the line; I just don't have his patience.  I assume you do and therefore will end up with a fantastic build like Gil's.  Have a terrific day and hurry up and finish your yard work so you can get back to the shipyard.  Take care,

Jerry

Good evening everyone..

I'm very happy to say that I have completed hanging the gunport lids although I have some hinges to add in two places.  It is an interesting phase of the build and I am very thankful to several members for their wonderful  logs from which most of my questions were answered.  I tried very hard to use Gil's method of splicing the lanyards with a sewing needle but found this a little to difficult for my very stiff fingers.  One of the reasons I undertook building Victory was one of my doctors suggested that the fingerwork would help my nimbleness.  It just was a little too much, so I'm now a bit concerned it I'll be able to handle the rigging if and when I get to it.  So, I ended up taking the easy way out and used a halfhitch to attach the lanyards and then Yon's method to stiffen the lanyards to make it easier for them to enter the holes in the hull. See pictures on this.  I'm looking forward to painting the dummy barrels and installing them in their respective gun ports.  I also note that the boat is now extremely fragile so I have decided to move it as little as possible.  I do have a lazy susan for turning the hull and that has turned out to be invaluable.  Hope everyone has a great night.  WEith many thanks to all for your help...

Jerry

post-545-0-12546800-1386109749_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-19750900-1386109821_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-12481700-1386109838_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-01117800-1386109877_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-28706200-1386109894_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-85585700-1386109919_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-14282300-1386109943_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello David....Many thnaks for your good words.  I haven't even looked at the rudder yet because I have much to do before that.  There's the dummy barrels to paint and set.  Then I have all the hammock work and some other things to add to the deck including thr railings around the open deck beams.  I still have to decide what method I'm going to use to turn the masts and yards.  i hope to find a cheap miniature lathe to use for the larger diameter masts.  I can use my vertical belt sander and a drill for the thinner items as I did to turn the boomkins.  I haven't broken one of them off yet but I did manage to break off one of the catheads.  Live and learn.  Talk to you tomorrow or so.  Oh by the way I have to figure out how to delete some personal messages as I was informed today that my personal message folder is full.  Do you know how to do that?  Take care,

Jerry

Hello everyone..

I'm very happy to say that one of the longest phases for me, the gunport lids, the dummy barrels and extraneous hinges is finished. Usually I would take on the rudder next but I haven't painted and mounted the bow medallions yet.  So all that gray lead will be colored soon and squeezed into position, as best it will, on the bow before I tackle the rudder.  The barrels went fine and surprisingly popped into their holes very nicely.  I did have to remove one  (after it set of course) since it was the wrong size for its position.  No problem...after a little paint touch-up all is well again.  I made a peg board from some scrap plywood drilling 2mm holes to hold the dummies.  As you can see this worked out very nicely  So thank you for all your patience reading this garble and most importantly, have a great evening...Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-05979500-1386192646_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-48255600-1386192665_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-24192600-1386192684_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-81236800-1386192701_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-03149800-1386192721_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-60975700-1386192743_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-72542100-1386192756_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-13761900-1386192773_thumb.jpg