Chaperon 1884 by mbp521 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48 - First Build Log

Super job. Love all the extra details that you added to make it as authentic as possible. The lighting is a very nice touch. Love the red and green sailing lights.

Alan

Current build, Disar Models - Altsu Mendi Basque Tugboat. Kits on hand for next builds: Victory Models - Scottish Fishing Vessel Fifie: Vanguard Models - Zulu 'Lady Isabella': : Mantu Models - Trotamares Motor Schooner. Finished, Chris Craft Runabout.

Thank you all for the kind complements.  This was definitely one of the more fun builds that I have done. I know that the build is complete, but I wanted to put out a small update on the progress of my display. I haven't gotten around to making the case for it yet, but I have made some headway on the base. I wanted to go with an epoxy resin water base, but I just don't think that my talents are quite there yet. So I went with a base that would somewhat represent her in dry-dock on the ways. 

Right now the base is in the construction phase, but I'm getting there. Slow progress on it because I've been anxious to get started on my next build.

1412918733_ChaperonBase.JPG.21f31b791a54dbfa7a4c40c38e8cca4f.JPG

And here she is by the plans for my next build for size comparison (build log coming soon).

IMG_4376.thumb.JPG.5f9ae869bf1bac7d30b90c00cdd29988.JPG

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

1 hour ago, Cathead said:

Ooooh, is that an ACW ironclad? Tantalizing.

Yes sir. About time I get my feet wet in the scratch build world.

City Class - USS Cairo. Coming soon. Just need to study up a little more on the plans and I'll start the build (and the build log).

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

• 1 month later...

Hi Brian,

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't looked in on this build previously. Great work and an outstanding build! If I get to half as decent as your Chaperon, I will consider myself lucky. I've seen some discussion regarding the main desk being painted red. Did you keep yours natural out of preference or because the instructions don't mention painting it?

Thank you!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Patrick,  

Thank you for the kind words. I have no doubts that your Chaperon will turn out great. I’ll definitely be following along and help out in any way I can. That’s one of the great things about this forum, plenty of people out there with a wealth of knowledge to help out with advice when it’s needed.

According to the experts the decks were painted red, I chose to leave mine natural out of personal preference. I tried my best to keep the boat as close to the original as possible for historical accuracy. However, when it came to my paint scheme I took a few liberties with it. 

-Brian

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 3:38 PM, mbp521 said:

Does anyone have any clear guidance as to how these were actually built. I'm sure that each boat builder had their own method, I'm really just looking for some common way to build it up right.

I just very recently joined this forum, of which I learned because of the traffic on my website. I'm quite flattered, @mbp521, that you went along with some suggestions I made in my 3D model. Most are the result of hours and hours of scrutiny of the UW Steamboat Photography Collection. As for the sockets of the davits: I found some evidence in photos of other steamboats that these were simple wooden blocks with a hole in the middle to receive the base of the davit poles. 

Indeed, this was I question I racked my brain with for quite some time.

Jens

• 4 months later...

A little late to the game on this one, but what a wonderful build and a fantastic finish.  Congratulations on such a great job. I clearly have a weakness for sternwheelers you did a great job on this one.

Darryl Jacobs

Interaction Hobbies

"I called to the other men that the sky was clearing, and then a moment later I realized that what I had seen was not a rift in the clouds but the white crest of an enormous wave."

Ernest Shackleton

www.interactionhobbies.com

www.facebook.com/railandtie

On 10/11/2020 at 2:11 PM, jmiba said:

I just very recently joined this forum, of which I learned because of the traffic on my website. I'm quite flattered, @mbp521, that you went along with some suggestions I made in my 3D model. Most are the result of hours and hours of scrutiny of the UW Steamboat Photography Collection. As for the sockets of the davits: I found some evidence in photos of other steamboats that these were simple wooden blocks with a hole in the middle to receive the base of the davit poles. 

Indeed, this was I question I racked my brain with for quite some time.

Jens

Jens,

My apologies for the late response, for some reason I didn't get the notification that a post was made. Thank you for the kind words and input and welcome to the forum. Your above description of the davit blocks are exactly the way that I built them. This definitely makes me feel better that I got it right.

I must say that your website was a wonderful find and full of useful information that helped me make this build a success. I used it almost every time I needed some direction with a certain part that I would get stuck on. The old photos on the U of W website were helpful, but there is only some much time you can spend staring at a black and white photo before you go cross-eyed. Your 3D walkthrough put you right there, almost as if you were actually on board. I wanted to say how much I appreciate your extensive research as well as the time and effort you put in to make the most accurate description of this beautiful boat.

-Brian

20 minutes ago, Rail and Tie said:

A little late to the game on this one, but what a wonderful build and a fantastic finish.  Congratulations on such a great job. I clearly have a weakness for sternwheelers you did a great job on this one.

Darryl,

Thank you for the kind words and not to worry bout being late, as long as you enjoyed the show.

I only recently started building boats from the steam era (about 4 years now) but it has been a fantastic journey. Definitely a change from the fully rigged ships that I have been accustomed to. I have also had a fascination with steamboats, but just never took the plunge into building them. My current build is an even deeper dive into it as it is my first attempt at a scratch build. This build may be my last steam build for a while, I started the MS Flying Fish several years ago (unfortunately no build log on that one (yet)) that I need to finish up on, so I think that will be my next project. However, I would like to one day build a sidewheeler and if I can gather enough information on it, I'd like to scratch build the  steam powered City of Baton Rouge which was a car ferry that shuttled passengers across the Mississippi river between my home town of Port Allen, LA and Baton Rouge before the Interstate 10 bridge was built.

-Brian

• The title was changed to Chaperon 1884 by mbp521 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48 - First Build Log