Chaperon 1884 by mbp521 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48 - First Build Log

Cool! I'm not familiar with that tubing, is there any chance of it degrading over time like the rubber bands? That was my worry when I used tape for this on the Bertrand, but it's held up great so far.

Eric,

I have been using heat shrink for years and it holds up well in all types of weather. I use it on the wiring of my trailers that sit in the sun/rain/snow year round and haven't had a single connection rot away. The only issue that I had with doing the bands this way was I had to secure them in place with a touch of CA because they tended to slip on the wooden dowel. There are some heat shrinks that have a heat activated glue on the inside of them that helps seal the connection and would probably work a little better in this type of application, I just used what I had on hand.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Hello everyone,

I wanted to pose a question about rudders. I was doing some research on the internet on the Chaperon to find out what style of lifeboat she carried with her. The kit contains the standard britannia ones that bare pointed on the bow and stern, but in many of the old photographs I came across show ones with a flat transom on them. 

Anyway, while researching this I found there were several pictures of steamboats in “dry-dock” where they show them with three rudders instead of just two. I’ve seen the additional “monkey rudders” mounted aft of the paddle wheel, but this third rudder was mounted to the hull in line with the other two. 

I’m sure the timeline would dictate the evolution of the boats, but my curiosity got the better of me so I went down the rabbit hole and started looking into rudders (again). I really couldn’t find a whole lot of info on when they started putting three rudders on steam boats or if there were just a few one-offs where the shipbuilders were experimenting with maneuverability of the boats. Then I stumbled across a site of a gentleman from Germany who put together beautiful high-res drawings as well as a 3D virtual tour of the Chaperon. That’s when I saw that he had also included three rudders on his drawings. So being the novice in the world of steamboats, I figured I’d pose this question to the experts. Personally I think it’s pretty cool looking to have three rudders, but I would till like to keep my build as historically accurate as possible. 

Any thoughts on this?

BTW: here is the link to the site I was referring to. I’m not real sure of it’s accuracy, but it does resemble the MS kit. 

https://www.jensmittelbach.de/steamboats/chaperon/index.html

-Brian 

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Sounds like a good question for Kurt. I stepped in it deep last time I tried to advise you on rudders! Two certainly seems like the standard that I've seen, but take that with a salt mine.

That computer generated Chaperon is neat.  The guy seems to have used a lot of sources to put it together but I think there are a lot of presumptions - especially the interior.  The interior looks just way too elegant to be accurate from the history I was able to find on the Chaperon.  I could be wrong about this and I would sure be interested in seeing more of the documentation he used.  I will try to find out more. 

As to the life boat I have attached two photos from my files that clearly shows it tied off alongside.  Other photos I have seem to support this being the same boat are small and unable to be enlarged enough to confirm it's the same boat.  There were changes to most steamboats over time and the aft boiler deck cabin structure is different than the kit.  I have photos of the Chaperon that show the aft end that agrees with the kit.  But there is documentation of several rebuilds of the Chaperon over time and none of the photos have been dated.  The photos were taken from various sources - obviously none are copyrighted.

As to rudders, I have not sen any photographs that show the rudders and I wouldn't say if it had two or three forward rudders.  I have never seen any evidence of monkey rudders behind the wheel.  If you like the look of three rudders go for it - there isn't anything that I have seen that would say it had two or three but three was very common.

steam03056x.jpg

steam03053x.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

2 hours ago, Cathead said:

Sounds like a good question for Kurt. I stepped in it deep last time I tried to advise you on rudders! Two certainly seems like the standard that I've seen, but take that with a salt mine.

Aww come on Eric, I can't suck you back into my rudder conversations again? :)

Kurt,

Thanks for the input. I agree, the website is really neat and has inspired many new ideas and subtle touches to add to my build. 

I have seen these photos on the UofW website, but since they were labeled as the Chaperon Towboat, built in 1904, I wasn't sure as to the accuracy of the lifeboat style on this one. I looked at some of the other photos of the 1884 Chaperon and zoomed way in on them and can somewhat make out that a couple of them show flat transom lifeboats, but they are a bit grainy.

As for the configuration changes of the 1884 Chaperon, there are some subtle differences that I have noticed through the photos, like the addition of searchlights, the front wall of the main deck by the stair case (open as opposed to being enclosed), the smokestack "crown" (or what ever the decorative top piece is called) has seen several changes, different color schemes on the trim (hard to tell with black and white photos) but it is definitely noticeable on the doors and the "Anchor and Arrow" between the smokestacks, but I haven't seen too may photos that drastically change the look of the boat structure itself. 

As for the third rudder, I am seriously contemplating adding it.  No monkey rudders though. I can't find any evidence that the Chaperon ever had these.

-Brian

I will have to check my files - I didn't have the photos I posted, noted as being from a later build.  I will check the UofW library.  Ralph would have had the right boat noted in their files.

The photos in my collection that I am sure are of the correct Chaperon seem to show the same type of boat as in the photos I posted.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Good afternoon everyone,

Thank you all for the likes and information.

Blighty, I do plan on lighting the entire model, from the pilot house down to the boilers. I am still working on a way to try and light the red and green navigation lights on the smokestacks. This is definitely proving to be a bit of a challenge without the wiring being seen. I'm sure I can come up with something though. I am also toying with the idea of adding the carbon arc searchlights and somehow lighting those up as well. We'll see how this challenge goes.

I managed to get a little accomplished this week. The chicken coop and the capstan.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am not a real big fan of the brittania fittings that come with the MS kits, and anywhere I can scratch build the pieces I will. The capstan  being one of those pieces. The kit supplied one was poorly cast and was terribly out of round so here is the third a final version of my scratch built one.

IMG_3457.thumb.JPG.675cf0610c986789889a6625336a4202.JPG

IMG_3459.thumb.JPG.57545c371a45f7d4da6d7c98386f8dc6.JPG

IMG_3480.thumb.JPG.9dc5279f7af58844b3476676b59871ec.JPG

IMG_3481.thumb.JPG.4acbfaefc291e36b545d711a90a88423.JPG

IMG_3482.thumb.JPG.b909e4ed1355b6122aca7ee5be622fd1.JPG

IMG_3483.thumb.JPG.e2978660385fa858f7bfccaf3f221e87.JPG

IMG_3484.thumb.JPG.24d77b7ca5937fe81dada9f3e636def9.JPG

IMG_3485.thumb.JPG.0b3249ca40839e6bea0481a16e3f699c.JPG

The chicken coop was a little lacking in details as well, so I added a few little touches to spruce it up. I was looking online for some 1:48th scale chickens to add to it, but couldn't find any. I think this should be good enough though. Maybe my version of the Chaperon is sitting at the docks waiting on a resupply and the chicken coop is empty.

IMG_3251.thumb.JPG.8afb58e1137015fc0d225b78f169ae83.JPG

IMG_3505.thumb.JPG.152cc923a96f6b8a7ce1864daa739763.JPG

IMG_3508.thumb.JPG.85aab05703682f51907cc988b782992f.JPG

IMG_3528.thumb.JPG.a17b5930854deeb4ae4a91e685b653a9.JPG

That's all for now. I am currently in the process of adding the all the decorative sconces and railing to the boiler deck as well as cutting the smokestack crowns from thin copper sheeting. This is turning out to be a bit of a challenge as well. But I'll figure it out, just need to find the right tools.

Thanks again for looking.

-Brian

Edited by mbp521

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening everyone,

I am finally back with an update. The holidays season seems to cut down significantly on the build time. That and unexpected work trips have slowed mine down to a crawl. Unfortunately this may be the last update for a while. The admiral was gracious enough to lend me part of her guest bedroom to use as my shipyard, but now she has put her foot down that I get out, so I have to pack it up and move it to the barn. This is not a bad thing though, I will have my own room (a 10' x 12' corner with heating and air) to spread out and have a little more organization. The only drawback is that the room in the barn isn't built yet. So, my build time over the next couple of months is going to be dedicated to building a shipyard instead of a ship. It'll all be worth it in the end though.

So enough of that. Here are some pictures of what I was able to accomplish since the last update.

I have all of the sconces installed as well as the boiler deck railing. I just need to get a coat of paint on the sconces. I also decided to add a hand rail to the railing. the PE railing just looked too plain there by itself, and adding the hand rail gave it more definition.

IMG_3518.thumb.JPG.62a3e296dfa3eb00aa6fe14674466094.JPG

IMG_3614.thumb.JPG.da65e6d38f37cecb1ba1797190c7a531.JPG

IMG_3615.thumb.JPG.b3a3915eff9460184c2fa7ad0d9060b2.JPG

Another little detail I added were the downspouts on the pilot house. A little something I noticed in the old pictures on the U of W website. There are also a couple of these I will be adding to the Texas deck as well, once the roof has been installed. These are made from 3/32" polystyrene tubing. I tried heating and bending it first, but I just couldn't get the shape I was looking for. So I ended up inserting some brass wire in the ends of the tubing, heating it, then bending it with needle-nose pliers. This worked out perfectly and the shape held just right.IMG_3637.thumb.JPG.5acc1ad3511babf21e51a86d164278f1.JPG

IMG_3550.thumb.JPG.c3bdb8a5de862a3fff2b78b0266ff59f.JPG

Next I started on the bell. Again I wasn't too please with the Britannia one. To me it seemed a little small. So I grabbed up some spare 1/4" walnut dowel and turned one down on my mini lathe. I think it came out pretty nice. Then I used a piece of 18ga wire to make the holder and used the side braces that came with the kit, along with a couple of supports to modify it slightly. Then I mounted it in place on top of the Hurricane deck roof. I will work on making the board the holds the pulleys for the clapper rope and get that in place later. Not really sure of what this board was called, but I noticed it on the 3D rendering and confirmed from the old photos from the U of W website. I want to also add the antlers to the bell. I had the perfect set, but I couldn't bring myself to scalp my grandson's toy deer. I'm sure I can find another plastic deer at a toy store somewhere.

1032270814_Bell-FrontView.JPG.aae24ddf92841e4688ff233f2dbf6513.JPG 174742624_BellPulleyBoard.JPG.bb018f6b45ecaa11b3de8f728889accb.JPG

IMG_3563.thumb.JPG.2897c274dccb03a214ab5c42b38e28bd.JPG

IMG_3564.thumb.JPG.118b6200c020d8d6613868a79e1eca04.JPG

IMG_3566.thumb.JPG.328535f2fcb68c3f2fec1fc0fcb83820.JPG

IMG_3567.thumb.JPG.ef5bac2a627032c274c16becb7b09508.JPG

IMG_3636.thumb.JPG.376e2095558e9858007ecea9a8b80535.JPG

I was also able to complete the bit on the fore-deck and get it installed.

IMG_3556.thumb.JPG.4cfbf9fa457cf7e1f01f2f5db3b26d2d.JPG

IMG_3557.thumb.JPG.dc48bd778d278a24006fa75f4a30260c.JPG

Lastly, I started working on the carbon arc searchlights. I formed the housings from 3/8" dowel and used flat 1/16" brass strips for the mounting swivel bracket and the clamps. I then used some heat shrink to wrap it in to give it a smooth look on the outside. I was still in the process of getting these assembled when I got sidetracked on the hand rail. I may keep these out of the boxes and work on them from when I have a spare minute or two while I build my shipyard. I think I have a box somewhere that has a bunch of old plastic car models in it. I'm thinking of using some of the clear headlight lenses from these to make the lenses for the searchlights. Trick is, I have to find the box first. Otherwise, I am going to have to come up with some other way of making them.

IMG_3544.thumb.JPG.c597f17d8ca90887dfcdfb7e25574626.JPG

IMG_3546.thumb.JPG.a33c6ccdc8714bf49f33e6b92a69fea3.JPG

IMG_3547.thumb.JPG.e28c51840b47db8317ed679554800d6b.JPG

IMG_3554.thumb.JPG.353bbf361a9c6c760a262505b3c6e5d6.JPG

Anyway, that is all for now. As always, thank you all for the likes and for looking. Until next time, Happy Holidays to all.

-Brian

IMG_3565.JPG

Eric,

it’s all good. I’m actually surprised she let me stay put for as long as she did. But, like I said, I have my corner of the barn picked out and just need to get off my tookus and get my room built out. Should only take a couple of months to get done. 

Future shipyard spot. 

09AC7CAB-CF09-473F-BA5A-FEE7B15A5360.thumb.jpeg.4d486f54a2a7c45bfdc41a9da474c656.jpeg

-Brian

• 1 month later...

Greeting everyone,

It has been some time since my last update, I hope everyone had a great Christmas holiday and a New Year. I was supposed to have been working on building my new shipyard during my hiatus, but unfortunately Mother Nature decided to unleash her wrath upon us several weeks ago and dump 8"+ of rain in a five hour span. This cause some considerable flooding of the creek that runs through our property and in turned washed all the debris from the wood down with it. Well all of this debris washed up against my fencing taking down about 200' with it. So most of my time lately has been spent making repairs on weekends when it not raining. I am beginning to wonder if I some how moved to the Pacific Northwest US instead of living in Texas. This has got to be a new record for wettest winter here.

Here is what just a couple of hours of hard rain can do.

This is the front of the property. The ditch is about 6' deep and the rain had stopped about an hour ago and some of the water had receded.

IMG_3711.thumb.JPG.2937121137119d2ae8dd4db44d023916.JPG

...and this is my driveway to the house under about a foot of water.

IMG_3707.thumb.JPG.9fa5a2753356decb9ffc7e24d915b69f.JPG

Thankfully the damage was minimal and nothing that couldn't be repaired. Unfortunately my shipyard budget was used to make repairs. Luckily I am married to a great woman and she graciously allowed me to setup shop back in the gust bedroom until I can get my shipyard finally built. So here I am.

I got everything un-boxed happily started work. The first week back didn't produce much, but I managed to get the paddle wheel mounted along with the support timbers and some of the hog chains.

Before mounting the paddle wheel, I added a couple of vent pipes from the machine room. I had debated on adding an additional two windows on the stern. From some of the pictures on the U of W website, it looks as though the Chaperon went through several remodels. Some pictures show one window and other show three. So I decided to leave it a one.

729123815_Chaperon3AftWindowsII.JPG.1a5d9c1d13992380b1f64edb70bd4101.JPG970605767_Chaperon1AftWindow.JPG.8c4b68b62a89ea505f565c9126ffae8f.JPG

IMG_3663.thumb.JPG.07cf63e355bd8dd27f9a01f27f1dd3f0.JPG

Installing the paddle wheel. A few little details I added were the bolts holding the pillow-blocks in place and the bearing oilers (not sure of the proper name). 

IMG_3664.thumb.JPG.aefd7cc075b1c99ea46e4eba300aacb1.JPGIMG_3669.thumb.JPG.4e09319d92d321372061963f2d5eeb0a.JPGIMG_3672.thumb.JPG.535678a543117482350dfb0ff34067ae.JPG

Next came the support timbers and hog chains.

IMG_3654.thumb.JPG.c895a4f7db9dba00506956c7f3b4a165.JPGIMG_3679.thumb.JPG.201e3f707e1f73391808c89c0d755258.JPG

IMG_3678.thumb.JPG.e082e40773fcb5f4097de35763a7216c.JPG

IMG_3679.thumb.JPG.201e3f707e1f73391808c89c0d755258.JPG

IMG_3683.thumb.JPG.1c2e1bd3560e1facb3aa0bffb1836537.JPG

IMG_3686.thumb.JPG.6ff8b29024b115a3e79cda8067b649ab.JPG

IMG_3731.thumb.JPG.627cc2ba6ee1c79ea5bd4b47288b8408.JPG

Dry fitting the railing. This looks to be a pretty tight fit and some adjustments may have to be made.

IMG_3730.thumb.JPG.0f985fc7e73d5847dbc7035c573d2573.JPG

That is all for now. I hope to have more updates soon.

As always, thanks for looking.

-Brian

Edited by mbp521

Great to have you back, nice work! Flooding is certainly a pain, though parts of the Plains and Midwest are as susceptible to damaging bouts of heavy rain as the PNW. For example, the record 24-hour rainfall for Washington and Oregon is only ~14" and ~11", compared to ~18" for Missouri. Texas actually holds the lower 48 record at ~42", but that's because of the Gulf Coast exposure to hurricanes. Oklahome and Arkansas, more your climate, are ~16" and ~14". So, you know, could be worse.

Eric,

I agree it could be worse. It was just a couple of short years ago when Texas set that record of 42"+ when Hurricane Harvey rolled through Houston, fortunately for us it took a northeastern turn.

We moved to Texas about 22 years ago and since that time (with the exception of the occasional hurricane passing over) this was the most rain in a short period of time we have seen come down. We just had the misfortune of the line of storms "train" over us and ring every bit of moisture it could out of the clouds. When I built our driveway, I had thought I had compensated enough for the runoff, since the creek starts on the ranch just west of ours at a pond about a 1000' away, most of the water is shed from the pasture land of our neighbors. The creek bed is only about 3' wide so I installed two 24" culverts thinking it could handle what would come its way. Apparently I miscalculated a tad bit. I should probably stick with model building instead of civil engineering.

-Brian

Hello again everyone,

I am taking full advantage of being back to work on my build. My two month break gave me great motivation to get things done.

This week I was able to complete the hurricane deck railing, the smaller smokestacks and the searchlight platforms.

The railing went on pretty smooth, only a couple of adjustments needed to be made. Mainly in the back where the paddle wheel timbers come down and on the front radii. I also added the handrail to the tops of the railing to give it a more finished look. I know the original Chaperon had the hand rails in place, but along with everything, they were painted white. I decided to stain and varnish mine, just to give it a little more contrast.

I had a little issue getting the PE railing to take the bend on the front. I am not sure if I didn't get the curvature of the deck right or what, but the thin area between the posts wanted to bulge out when forming the curve. I finally managed to work everything into place by slightly "massaging" the brass causing it to stretch at the top. 

IMG_3729.thumb.JPG.c224fdae08dad67083a78605f1e2085b.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG

IMG_3858.thumb.JPG.28fed5beff9cce6ea8b1d11d473f9102.JPG

For the back railing the area behind the paddle wheel timbers was too tight to install the PE so I had to cut it into sections. I stopped the railing on both sides of the timbers and moved the back railing slightly aft to line up with the posts. With the handrail in place, this is hardly noticeable.

IMG_3885.thumb.JPG.4f3e86798a9e71d759b4f2ae4ca363f5.JPG

Next I started work on the smaller smokestacks and chimneys.

I wanted to add a little more detail to these, other than just the conical cap that the instructions call for. I made the caps from some thin copper sheeting and added the standoffs made from spare brass flat bar I had and held in place with a dot of CA and some heat shrink tubing.

IMG_3791.thumb.JPG.e5b079b5cab59de0c86d0fbf43980d78.JPG

IMG_3786.thumb.JPG.8dc22e49d42bde4838c416397554492a.JPG

IMG_3790.thumb.JPG.0aaecc714e0bdb1921685a640e51eac0.JPG

IMG_3805.thumb.JPG.621ba086e3807349ddfa5beacf6229e5.JPG

I also added a decorative top to the two chimneys that, according to the instructions, were to just be left uncapped. This was not the case on the actual boat, and old photos show that she had some sort of decorative top on her, although I could not find a clear enough picture of what they actually looked like. I just used a little imaginations and created my own. For these I also used the thin copper sheeting.

Chimney Caps.JPG

IMG_3886.thumb.JPG.b3e1a79e43033984f111c62ddcb770a2.JPG

Lastly, I built the searchlight platforms and installed the. I could not find any pictures of what these actually looked like, so I used the style that Dr. Jens Mittelbach used on his 3D rendering of the Chaperon. 

IMG_3807.thumb.JPG.0b3a0f9e7b3d9c3a27172131b5e3daa1.JPG

IMG_3809.thumb.JPG.0eda3ffc27a10f726ce516093d5bb95d.JPG

Well, that is it for now. More to come.

Thank you all for looking as well as the likes and encouragement.

-Brian

Edited by mbp521

Hello all,

More work done this week on my Chaperon. I completed the installation of the pilot house and its stairway along with a "battery" crate that will hide the 9v battery for the lights.

I have to admit, I am a little bit ashamed of myself for not planning this one out a little better. My thinking when I first started this build was to use an external power source for the lighting much like I did for my KotM build. But as things progressed I decided that I would just go with battery power instead. I would run all of my wires up to the Texas deck and terminate them there. I was going to make the pilot house removable so the battery could be changed out when needed. This was the plan all the way up until this week when I realized the when I was installing the magnets to hold the pilot house in place that there is a whole slew of rigging and tie downs that are attached to the structure, and there was no way that I was going to remove all of that to swap out batteries.

Here is the pilot house magnets going in.

IMG_3732.thumb.JPG.c38e477d1fcafd4654495b986ce8961e.JPG

IMG_3738.thumb.JPG.97bf5e97e7ff553191cc403693121ac8.JPG

Magnets in place and the Texas deck roof being glued down.

IMG_3749.thumb.JPG.3ec2390d6e36fff83cabf60522c71707.JPG

It was at this point that I realized this wasn't going to work. So I came up with an alternative solution. I wanted to add a touch of life to the model by adding supplies to the decks, much like the crates I built for the main deck earlier in the build, so I figured that a nice big crate and some hay bales would work to conceal the battery . Here is what I came up with.

The crate I made from spare planking strips and leftover plywood.

IMG_3773.thumb.JPG.c7e83ba8b3eb6136f6529a6fe91ca767.JPG

I snaked the wiring down from the Texas deck to come out the side of the Main deck wall. Added a little aging to the crate with a small torch and some golden oak stain.

IMG_3776.thumb.JPG.b230fc247f421ec56c8a5075d348e64c.JPG

Placed a connector on the wires and attached some small magnets to the crate to hold it in place, but still be removable.

IMG_3777.thumb.JPG.c961ab4131a483f0f47d97316abf00b5.JPG

Threw on a few miniature hay bales and here is what I ended up with. Once I get to installing the bull rails, I will make a couple of them as panels to they can also be removed to get to the battery crate.

IMG_3778.thumb.JPG.ce8c9972aa2f04d55f7e7409a6c26640.JPG

Next I worked on the pilot house stairs and got them installed.

IMG_3742.thumb.JPG.dffd69d753e3a2678e3b6b8351ecc67c.JPG

IMG_3755.thumb.JPG.c4e29345043ada041c88ffa330e9277c.JPG

IMG_3757.thumb.JPG.31d5ec98cbca3acc387f47023344a660.JPG

IMG_3758.thumb.JPG.f8d3374dd52a536dd46182e56fcf8ac3.JPG

Stairs and walkway in place. I just need to finish tying together the railings and I'll be done with this portion. 

IMG_3781.thumb.JPG.f8a8fe97a39bac17ad092cbb426b57fd.JPG

And here is how she sits right now.  My next step is to clean up my work bench. I didn't realize it until I posted this picture how messy it was. Sure didn't take it long to get this way.

IMG_3780.thumb.JPG.29de070131541118cadf218b485f977f.JPG

Now to work on the pilot house tie downs and the chimneys (after I tidy things up a bit).

As always, thank you for the likes and for looking.

-Brian

So I have a question that has been rattling around in my little pea brain for a while.

While I was installing my pilot house and securing the tie downs, the thought occurred to me as to why these were needed. I know that these boats were not known for their blazing speed, and surely running up and down the shallow western rivers with all their twists and turns that they were not running full steam ahead all the time, what would the need be to secure the pilot house to the deck with tie downs. Were they just not that structurally sound to withstand a stiff wind should a sudden storm pop up or did the open window in the front act as sort of a wind drag that caused lifting on the house itself. Just curious because in studying pictures of numerous different boats, tie downs were not used on all of them.

-Brian

Brian,

Nice work on an interesting subject.

I am late to the party on your lifeboat question.  The boats in the photos above are not lifeboats.  They are a type of workboat known as “Ohio River Yawl Boats” and most Western River Steamboats carried at least one.  As you point out, these steamers navigated narrow, shallow, and winding rivers with shifting sandbars.  It was often necessary to set out lines tied to trees along the banks, and this required  workboats that could handle the heavy rope required.  For example, a line could be carried ahead by boat, tied to a large tree, and then taken up by the capstan on the foredeck that was most certainly steam operated.

The yawl boats were hard chined, with flaring topsides so that the boat would gain buoyancy when weighted down.  Howard Chapelle discusses and provides drawings in his book American Small Craft.  Equipping your Chaperone with one of these, authentically modeled would be an interesting project by itself.

The question of lifeboats is a legal one. Did Chaperone carry passengers and if so, what lifesaving devices (boats included) were required by the Steamboat Inspection Service.  For example I have a book about the excursion steamer Island Queen that sailed from Cincinnati into the 1940s and I believe that she did carry some true lifeboats.

Roger

Roger,

Welcome to the party. It's never too late to join in.  Thank you for the insight on the work boats, I'll definitely look into adding that to my build as well as looking for Howard Chapelles book (could be useful if I have to scratch build one of these boats).

I had never even thought about them using the boats to tie off to the shoreline, I figured they were just for emergencies or for use as tenders. My impression of them docking was that they would just pull up to the banks, drop the stage, have the deck hands haul the rope out, then use the capstan to tighten the line. It all makes sense now. 

As for the Chaperon carrying passengers, that was one of her primary roles, shuttling passengers on the Ohio, Barron & Green Rivers. Even as the J.C. Kerr she carried passengers, so I'm sure since she was built in 1884 she would have fallen under the Steamboat Inspection Service since it was created in 1871.

When I started this project I had very limited knowledge of steamboats, but through this build, research and conversations with those (like you, Cathead, Kurt and others) that have studied them for years, I have learned a lot. 

-Brian

Good question about pilot house tiedowns. These boats were often flimsiliy built and quite susceptible to high winds. This would be especially true for boats heading into the western Plains (e.g., up the Missouri), but severe storms could be encountered anywhere in the Mississippi drainage and the pilothouse is a high and vulnerable structure, often being 40-50 feet above water level where winds are quite a bit stronger (for example, a quick search for wind turbine design specs suggests that winds at 30' can be 1.5 times those at ground level and continue to rise with height). Also, even larger river valleys can funnel winds; the lower Missouri River valley is routinely far windier than the surrounding landscape despite being over a mile wide between bluffs several hundred feet high. Whereas further upriver, as the timber grew smaller and scarcer, the pilothouse could be the tallest thing for miles except the chimneys. I suppose the use or not depending on the quality of construction, owner's preference, and so on.

From my reading, numerous boats were damaged or destroyed by storms. Think of the pilothouse like a little garden shed easily tipped over by strong winds. The Arabia's pilothouse is 35-45 feet above water level, roughly equivalent to the third or fourth storey of a building, and I suspect Chaperon is similar. So put that little garden shed on the roof of a 3-4 storey building and consider how much wind load it's recieving. Obviously it's structurally tied into the lower superstructure, but if you were up there in a cheap, lightweight pine box during a windy day (much less a real storm), how secure would you feel?

As you noted, it's not the vessel's speed that's important (as this was usually fairly low), it's the atmosphere around it. Again, good question, it's all the little details that make this so much fun to learn about. And all of the above is just my amateur opinion.

Roger,

Thank you for the helpful tip. I found a couple of yawl boat ideas that I may incorporate into my build.

Eric, 

You hit the nail square on the head with this one, "it's all the little details that make this so much fun to learn about". I have to say that of all the builds that I have done, this one has been by far the most fun. I have learned so much more about steam boats than I would have dreamed, and still have only scratched the surface.

As for the pilot house info, I kind of figured that was why they tied them down. Going back to one of Kurt's comments he made a while back in this log, and as you referenced here, these boats were built on a shoestring budget so they did what they had to do to keep the boats together as best as possible.

So to expand on this a little further, or maybe just pick y'alls brain a little more, were the tie downs made from rope or from steel bars with turnbuckles (like the hog chains), or something different? Going by the instructions, the pilot house tie downs are simple cables tied to eye-bolts in the Texas Deck roof. On Dr. Jens Mittelbach 3D rendering of Chaperon, he shows what look to be iron bars with turnbuckles connect to the eye-bolts. I tried zooming in on several of the old pictures and it's hard to tell what was used on Chaperon. 

I went ahead and used my own interpretation of these tie downs and made a hybrid of cable and turnbuckles.

IMG_3843.thumb.JPG.364ed0f24110077b0d7aa3a66d9e7564.JPG

IMG_3842.thumb.JPG.480c87e53af2ba5f12bbef80885337c4.JPG

Once I completed the pilot house, I finished the Texas deck railing and posts.

IMG_3841.thumb.JPG.a6490abdc60400ec3d71b5abe7639e95.JPG

The last thing completed this week was the chimneys. The decorative separator was a little bit of a challenge to get just right, but for the most part I think it turned out pretty well. I used a couple of small deadeyes for the end pieces and scratch built the center spreader wheel. The decorative tops of the chimneys were cut from a thin sheet of copper and bent to shape. After assembly and a coat of paint, I think the whole thing looks pretty good.

IMG_3826.thumb.JPG.2016ea791fc8dc724d7461c8661a8122.JPG

IMG_3827.thumb.JPG.37426b8f75d577349bd4c280d609b255.JPG

IMG_3936.thumb.JPG.1b409c5bc0ef301a90aa6caac09c4d8c.JPG

IMG_3938.thumb.JPG.eb452f273d9a67acda43d4e0851629c0.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

Now to finish the anchor points for the chimneys and mast and hopefully start on getting her rigged up as soon as get all of the turnbuckles made up.

Thank you all for the great information and the likes.

-Brian

IMG_3842.JPG

Edited by mbp521

I suspect tie-downs matched the "whatever the builder/operator wanted" theme. I've also seen evidence of metal rods (like hog chains) and metal straps. Yours look great!

Good morning everyone,

Small little update, this week we had absolutely beautiful weather (with the exception of Friday) so most of my time was spent outdoors getting other projects done. I did manage a little time on my build though, and here is what I accomplished.

I managed to get the turnbuckles fabricated. Tedious project to say the least. Several breaks were needed due to my hands cramping up holding these tiny things, but I got them done. For these I used some 1/16" aluminum tubing and filed the sides flat. I cleaned up the slots with an exacto blade and used some 24 guage brass wire to make the 1mm eyebolts. They have since been painted and I'll let them dry before installing them and rigging the chimneys.

IMG_3945.thumb.JPG.af193c68c232658a12af02b534804d8f.JPG

IMG_3948.thumb.JPG.05e04716ee4e391740b283517596144b.JPG

Next, I worked on more deck details and built up a firewood rack. Nothing fancy, just found some twigs around the property and cut them to length and made up the wood rack with spare wood laying around. A little weathering with the torch and some golden oak stain and here is the result.

IMG_3846.thumb.JPG.10644b760df4e40ddf5ec4a36bbdc591.JPG

IMG_3847.thumb.JPG.8827afad46500c6f949189a7cc1fa089.JPG

IMG_3848.thumb.JPG.e7da2f1c49552b47af3a61d827f912c4.JPG

IMG_3849.thumb.JPG.492df57a54b6f66869fd8c963fac0cb0.JPG

Lastly, I ordered some miniature deck furniture from Shapeways. The detail on these 3D printed parts is fantastic, a little pricey, but worth it for the detail. I purchased some fire buckets and deck chairs and got them painted up. I build up the fire bucket rack for the hurricane deck, added a firewater barrel and placed a couple of other buckets around the boilers. The chairs are a little brittle, so I will be placing them around the decks when I get closer to finishing so I don't break any.

IMG_3861.thumb.JPG.accd34b7ae588c912a7b97df43e0b9e8.JPG

IMG_3908.thumb.JPG.c15deeb8a0dd4ae09598f0fd113fbf4d.JPG

IMG_3873.thumb.JPG.a3dbc167aa3c1ab3dbc42b081c43ca9d.JPGIMG_3882.thumb.JPG.cf538d768e69939f188daab6884e0cec.JPG

IMG_3984.thumb.JPG.d13d5aa90a78e9599d05efb9990a613a.JPG

IMG_3985.thumb.JPG.8b0da6a4e3e0d428f6b40deeab25451c.JPG

That's about all I have this time. I should have more next time since the forecast is calling for rain all week. Now that the turnbuckles are complete and dry, I'll work on getting the rigging for the chimneys done and who knows what else.

Thank you for looking and all the likes.

-Brian

Hello everyone,

While I am not quite ready for an update, I wanted to share a little history from my home town.

I grew up on the Mississippi River across from Baton Rouge, LA. Unfortunately for me the only way to get across the river from Port Allen to Baton Rouge was by either the new bridge (Horace Wilkinson Bridge - b.1968) on Interstate 10 or the old bridge (Baton Rouge Huey P. Long Bridge - b.1940) on State Hwy 190. 

However, before my time (just slightly) there was a ferry that ran between Port Allen and Baton Rouge from 1820 to 1968. While the construction of the "Old Bridge" helped save time getting between the west and east sides of the river, it wasn't until the construction of the "New Bridge" that led to the demise of the ferry route (two months before I was born). One of these ferries that shuttled cars and pedestrians was the City of Baton Rouge which ran from 1917 to 1968 and is featured heavily in an exhibit in the West Baton Rouge Parish Museum, as well as painted on buildings and signs all over town. As kid I frequented the museum often due to my love of history.

The reason I bring this up was, I was looking at ideas for future build projects and during my last visit to the WBR Museum a few years ago, I noticed that with all of the pictures and artifacts the museum had related to the old ferry system and there was no models of the ferry itself. I didn't give it too much thought at the time since my focus was on pre-20th century sailing ships and not steamboats. It wasn't until I started my Chaperon build that my interest really switched to steam power and its history. So I figured that since I grew up around this type of culture, why not build something from it. Right now I am seriously thinking of doing a scratch build of the USS Cairo as my next project, but depending on how that build goes, the City of Baton Rouge could be after that. Who knows, since the WBR Museum doesn't have a model for their exhibit, maybe I could donate mine (we'll see how the build goes first).

My apologies for hijacking my own build for this, I just found it interesting and thought I would share.

Here are a couple of photos of the ferry during her hey-day and just before she was taken out of service.

163437491_PortAllenFerryIV.png.08b62b56d814c1ac1a53d6cb2388d87f.png

1740975273_PortAllenFerryIII.jpg.df1263fb43a8f52aed9388529043b0fc.jpg

Photos are courtesy of the West Baton Rouge Museum.

The City of Baton Rouge is still around today. When she was taken out of service in 1968, she was converted to a wharf boat for the excursion boats Twilight and Julia Belle Swain in Le Claire, Iowa. Here was an article posted in the Baton Rouge newspaper on the 100th anniversary of the City of Baton Rouge.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/article_4316a0ae-a54b-5800-92ef-1b914f398cdb.html

Thank you for looking.

-Brian

Edited by mbp521

That's a fantastic idea! I've been playing around with the idea of various smaller Missouri River steamers for a future build. One of my motivations for doing the Arabia was just as you say, surprise that such an otherwise excellent museum had no way to visualize the craft in three dimensions other than a painting. I, too, am a lifelong history buff and think there's a major niche for using models to educate people about inland watercraft (not just sexy sailing ships).