The gunports are very close to the deck.  Looks like small caliber guns on skids.  Iron hammock braces on top of the rail and drawn skewed to show their construction.  The curved piece looks like the end moulding of a bulwark, but nothing ekse supports that.  The number of lines at the rail and the hanging knees below,  could be a partial spar deck over the gunports.  I would guess 1835 +/- 15 years.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thank you gentlemen for joining and trying to help me out.

@wefalck

Thats frigate Le Concord, French navy, build 1779. Its the gunnwale on the main deck, in front of the opening to the lower boat deck.

@Jaager  Additionally to the above the cannons are 12 lb cannons 

Christos

My guess is that it is a fashion piece at the end of the top rail.  It is not exactly clear on this drawing which is inboard and which is outboard.  But there is a gangway and a couple of ladders there.  Above one ladder at the end of the cap rail has plain stanchions and above the other ladder is a timber head.  Is there a companion ladder on the outside of the hull that comes up to this point.  It is also interesting how the perspective changes for the hammock cranes at this point.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Another possibility, but less likely, is hat it may simply be a 'bent' rising timber to allow for the lead of some rigging such as braces etc? 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I've checked with my French ships plans and books.   If you look at (and there should be one) a top view and compare it to the side view, it's a wooden railing with metal stanchions (the pieces that look to be a "U").  One end of the "U" has and smaller "u" on top to hold the rail.  It appears that the other end is set into a hole in the bottom of the rail.   Boutriot's The 74 Gun Ship makes note of them as the rail and stanchions being removable when to allow better handing of the ship's boats.  That "s" shaped bit you're referencing is probably pined (?) or inset to the deck and rail and keeps the whole thing from wobbling.  I'm just not sure what kind of hardware (bolts? screw? wooden pins?) would be used to assemble it.

Sadly, there are no detailed plans I can find for this thing, just similar drawings.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@popeye2sea thank you for droping by, here is a picture of a fellow modeler build...there  its seems you are right.

@BANYAN thanks for the thought...  I really dont know.

@mtaylor thank you for your effort. ''keeps the whole thing from wobbling''.... sounds reasonable. Have a look at the picture of a fellow builder below.

rail waist.jpg

That's an interesting photo, Messis.   But I'm not sure that rail was actually as the photo shows.   There's an opening in the rail in the photo but the drawing indicates it's a continuous rail.    Hmm....  

Popeye2Sea... there are no hammock cranes.  In that period, the French didn't use hammocks.  The crew basically slept where ever they could.. on the deck, on the cables, barrels, etc. stowed in the hold, just about any place available.  But.. definitely not on the quarter deck or in "officer country".  As for the plan, that one is from the "inside" looking out.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@mtaylor you are definitely correct with all of the above. Yes it seems the picture isnt corresponding to the drawing.

I tend to believe that popeye2sea was right guessing that is probably "fashion piece".

Thank you very much for working on my question.... I though it was all about a very simple answer, which just  was beyond my knowledge... it turns up

, it is not that case. It sadly remains unanswered 😟 for the time being

Christos