first post: Hello World

Hi everyone,

I'm so excited to be here, I am purchasing an old dusty Corel SM23 HMS VICTORY unopened kit second hand from a chap in Australia.

This will be my first wooden ship build, and I am looking forward to refining and developing my skills as I undertake this epic challenge. A good friend of mine who is a semi-retired boat builder gave me the idea, he bought a HMS ENDEAVOUR a few years back and had never got around to building it. It was by chance he mentioned it one day and I was curious about wooden ship models so started to  check out the models online.

I fell immediately in love with the detailed pictures of various ship builds, and as luck would have it found a great deal on the HMS VICTORY.

So tommorrow I am laying down some cash to buy my first kit.

I have read two Corel HMS Victory builds thus far and am looking forward to reading some more as part of my research into this fine art. There are lots of great images of the HMS Victory in Portsmouth which I am looking at and am planning on tweaking the model a bit to be as close to the real thing as possible. I think I may try various colored stains to bring out the wood grain in various colors instead of painting the hull. Such as the yellow and black where the rows cannons are located. I'd also like to try wood carving some details as well as sourcing the amazing Caldercraft decorations you can find.

So keep an eye out for my build blog and feel free to chime in with any advice or comments.

Regards,

Marcus

Dry Dock H.M.S. Victory 1805 - Corel SM 23- 1/98 - Build blog  :  Shipwright  Marcus Lowrey 📐

Next kit Build  Wasa 1628 - Corel  SM 13 - 1/75 ... or HMS Endeavour 1768 - Corel  SM 4- 1/60

Plans I have acquired the following plans for ship builds

1. H.M.S. Unicorn 1790 - Corel DM 11- 1/75
  2. L'Etoile schooner 1932 - Billings Boats NR.572 - 1/50
  3. Lancia Armata (Armed Launch) 1803 - Panart GEN.84 - 1/54
  4. Royal Caroline 1749 (Royal Charlotte 1761) - Panart 1.4.85 - 1/47
  5. H.M.S. Endeavour 1768 - Corel DM 41 - 1/60
  6. H.M.S. Endeavour Bark 1768 - Artesania Latina - 1/60

Instructions only and missing plan cut out's

1. Santa Maria 1492 - art.1009 (italy) - 1/65
  2. Cutty Sark 1869 - Revell - 1/98
  3. H.M.S. Bounty 1787 - Amati art.1032 - 1/60 with 'Supplementary Instructions' from Modeller's Shipyard. 

Wishlist 

1. La Licorne from Tintin (Le Soliel Royale) - a kit bash build - Tintin Unicorn ship discussion
  2. The Black Pig from Pugwash the Pirate (something with 6 guns below deck, 3 masts)

Thanks John :)

This is a pretty awesome forum too I might add.

Dry Dock H.M.S. Victory 1805 - Corel SM 23- 1/98 - Build blog  :  Shipwright  Marcus Lowrey 📐

Next kit Build  Wasa 1628 - Corel  SM 13 - 1/75 ... or HMS Endeavour 1768 - Corel  SM 4- 1/60

3. H.M.S. Bounty 1787 - Amati art.1032 - 1/60 with 'Supplementary Instructions' from Modeller's Shipyard. 

Wishlist 

1. La Licorne from Tintin (Le Soliel Royale) - a kit bash build - Tintin Unicorn ship discussion
  2. The Black Pig from Pugwash the Pirate (something with 6 guns below deck, 3 masts)

Welcome to MSW Marcus! Best of luck to you on your Victory build. I will keep my eye out for your log and look forward to following along. :)  

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi Marcus,

Welcome to MSW.   If I may be so bold, may I suggest you start with something a bit simpler?  The Victory is a large and complex build.  Some kits are better than others as to instructions and kit quality.  I"ve noticed over the years that probably 90 to 95% of new builder who start off with a large model like Victory never finish so that's why I"m offering the advise.  No matter what you decide, you'll find support here.  I do suggest you read the various tutorials such at the planking tutorials in the Kit area and those in the Database as they will go a long way in helping you to complete your model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's nice to receive so many likes and friendly responses :)

I have a friend to recommend to this site, and will not hesitate to let him know. He has a HMS Endeavour to build, and we are thinking of starting a local ship building club.

mtaylor: Yes, however I am pretty stubborn... lol... I have an ambition to complete this model over 3 years :)

Also the Corel HMS Victory SM23 1:98 kit was only AUD$250 (as new), which was only 1/3 of the normal retail cost.

Edited by DarkAngel

Wishlist 

Marcus, 

Then I'd say go for it.  I do understand stubborn.  The first kit I bought (and it was the second one I built) was the Billings' Vasa.  After opening the box, I said "whoops" and bought a brig from AL.  Between the two of them I learned a lot.  This was before MSW so I did a lot of pounding my head on the workbench.

It can be done.  Just do a build log, ask for help when you need it and you'll do well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

indeed, thanks for the advice.

My first thought was to buy a Billings Boat Lilla Dan (a much simpler build). I liked the sail configuration and went hunting for one to buy.

Lilla Dan.jpg

Lilla Dan

Thats when I found the HMS Victory by Corel SM23 1:98 for a cheaper price !!!

And I thought... what the heck

Other newbies managed to build one ok, and there is heaps of help on here with seasoned wooden boat builders. And I have alot of time available over the next few years.

I do have other projects, I just completed upgrading my mountain bike to electric and I built my own lithium battery for that. There's also a caravan I've gutted and restoring... so I have lots to keep my mind occupied if one project gets overwhelming. :)

Build log started here : 

Edited by DarkAngel

Wishlist 

Thanks Mark :)

I think you are the first Aussie to welcome me aboard... (besides Jim that is).

10th POST... now for my signature !

Edited by DarkAngel

Wishlist 

Welcome to a 'nautical news site'! Here is the latest in information on how they do that in the model ship building. See something interesting? Copy the name and do a You Tube search. Never know what you can find. Yesterday I was 69 and received my Model Shipways Bedford whaleboat as a present to myself. Loaded with the stuff of model builders.

BTW and not to be forgotten the Australians' contribution to D-Day in all services. Looking forward to the battles for the Pacific. Who would have thought its the moslems who 'conquer' the islands.

11 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

Thanks Mark :)

I think you are the first Aussie to welcome me aboard... (besides Jim that is).

Allow me to be the 3rd then - Welcome from a couple of hours North :) .

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

:sign:

Greetings from Belgium, and good luck with your first build

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Wow thanks everyone, I feel like throwing a BBQ and having you all over for a steak :)

Nice to see folks from all over posting here.

Wishlist