Plastic builder makes the move!

andrew2

Greetings to all!

Decided it was time to move on up away from Trumpeter, Revel, Tamiya  and the like.  I built plastic ships for about 7 years. Mostly what I built was 1/350.....but there was also a 1/200 and a few 1/144 and 1/125's as well.  After a divorce and a house fire that resulted in all my works being destroyed, I have decided to re-start my hobby.   I am by no means a "great" modeler.   But I can use and airbrush to good effect and am proficient with Photo Etch and some scratch building.

Now the move into this form of building is a little intimidating, It would seem I am the proverbial "Babe in the Woods". 

So I have decided to start on what could be considered an entry level kit in this genre as my first build.   I am sure I can complete it to good effect.

What I have decided on is the Dumas  USS Whitehall Kit in 1/96 scale.

This has a Vacuum-formed 2 piece hull expanded pvc die cuts and laser cut balsa and birch plywood parts. I do not want to "go big or go home"  So I am keeping this simple.

Even so,   I will be working with New to me materials and mediums that I have NO experience with.   I do hope I can glean good wisdom, tips and general help here amongst you good Folk.

About 4 years back I built the USS Hazard Admirable-Class Navy Mine Sweeper 1/125 Lindberg kit,...much modified!  I had built that kit as a presentation to my wife's Grandfather that served aboard the Sister ship Am238 USS Garland , but the Gentleman passed away before I could complete the build.

Here is that kit in plastic I would like to replicate...

I am sure to have many questions as to "How To"   And appreciate any assistants you gentlemen could provide.

Would also like to say many Thanx for allowing a plastic guy to join up here!

Mark

IMGP5145.jpg

IMGP5158.jpg

Welcome!  We love large pictures 😀 When you are ready you can start a build log and ask tons of questions.  Someone here can answer about every question you may have.

I like your minesweeper. It looks like a nice scale to work in. This is the place to expand your modeling horizons.

Enjoy, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hello!

I too used to build plastic ship models. A favourite of mine is the Revell HMCS Snowberry in 1/72 scale.

I converted mine to R/C so I could patrol the lake looking for uboats before sending out our Kyosho Seawind yachts out!

I also built several plastic sailing ships which are nice.

But I have always wanted to build wooden ship models. As a builder by trade I figured if I can build houses hopefully I should be able to build a boat! (That has yet to be proved BTW...)

As everybody else has said - Welcome! Looking at the pics of your plastic ship you seem to have a good eye for detail and that goes a long way when embarking on any project. I too spent many years building plastic ship models and had a lot of fun doing it. It wasn't until my "later" years - after the kids had grown - that I started building in wood. There is a learning curve but it is not all that much different from other forms of modeling. Take your time, ask questions and never give-up.

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion is that wooden ships require wooden models and metal ships can use plastic as a base  - WITH LOTS OF MODS. I think plastic is much better when mimicking metal. FYI, the Model Ship shop at the Anapolis Naval Museum routinely use plastic kits as the basis for their models and then Make resin and metal fabricated parts where necessary. It's all in the finishing techniques. I think the model you show here is excellent. The only difference on any of my models (except cars), is that I always weather and wear them for the extra detail and realism. 

Gidday Andrew and a warm welcome from the Land  Downunder.

Please forgive my lateness in welcoming you aboard.

I believe the medium, i.e. Plastic, Card, Metal or Wood, is purely a matter of choice for the builder.

I have built in both Plastic and Wood. I have a preference for Wood as I find it at times frustrating but therapeutic and ultimately highly rewarding.

A couple of pieces of friendly advice,

Ask questions if and when you are unsure or don't know how to proceed.

Above all - Enjoy yourself.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Mark.

• 1 year later...

I am starting this very kit - the Lindberg Hazard.  Very interested in what you used to create the railings - was planning on using regular panel nails/pin-vise to drill the holes - but your railing poles are amazing - and suspect scratch built beauties.  And on that note, beautiful model - fabulous.  Many thanks for any recommendations/ideas.  Jim 

6 hours ago, High Wycombe said:

I am starting this very kit - the Lindberg Hazard.  Very interested in what you used to create the railings - was planning on using regular panel nails/pin-vise to drill the holes - but your railing poles are amazing - and suspect scratch built beauties.  And on that note, beautiful model - fabulous.  Many thanks for any recommendations/ideas.  Jim 

If you would, open your own introduction topic here and introduce yourself.    When your ready, open a build log for your model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 10 months later...