Sovereign Of The Seas by NMBROOK - Scale 1/84 - based on the works of Van De Velde the elder

There are similarities in their history then, as Vasa was a very expencive ship, costing a fortune to build, while the country struggled to survive. Making a ship of this size was also something the admirality did not suggest, they wanted smaller vessels, more fitted to the duties in the baltic. There are historians suggesting that Gustav II Adolf allready was planning to become emperor (something he was not far from becoming when he died in the battle of Lützen 1632), and would need ships like Wasa to continue his fight for power. This is speculative of course, but interesting.

I like that you will add the extra deck to her!

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Nigel,

Always a huge pleasure looking in on your SOS. A kit that is arguably the most desired by builders. Your build is awesome, and will be a "Grand Slam" when finished (sorry a baseball term)

Your chat with Matti was super informative regarding the SOS and the Vasa. (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I thought I would post some pics as they clearly show the stages involved in the prow ornamentation.I laminated 1.5mm pear sections on to the outside of the upper and lower rails inbetween where the uprights sit.You can see one in the first pic.The top and bottom rails were shaped and tapered leaving stubs where the uprights sit.The uprights were shaped form pears stock to fit over all three rails.The uprights will have the central carving carried out off the model and the rest will be done after fitting.This is to get the correct shape of the wrapround top and bottom.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-22261800-1376948250_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-58895700-1376948261_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-88138100-1376948272_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-91475300-1376948289_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

After a marathon carving session over the last few days I have managed to complete the basic ornamentation on the starboard side of the prow.There are still vertical carvings to fit on the stem underneath and of course the myriad of decorative panels.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-20331400-1377201673_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-63267500-1377201690_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-12034300-1377201706_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-16745900-1377201719_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Nigel,

You are way too modest. What you have done is not carving (something I can barely do). You are a master sculptor, an art-form that is very difficult to achieve.  You have; "in spades". Beautifully crafted work.

PS: I was chuckling to myself as I noticed within one photo was an electric receptacle  I spent two years living in London and was shocked (no pun intended) at the size of those boxes when we first moved into our flat. Very funny. They, of course, include fuses, which is a very useful safety device. Something that should be incorporated into American standards IMO.

Regards,

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thank you very much indeed for your kind words Michael :)  :)

As regards the socket,these haven't got built in fuses,the reason it's so chunky is that there is an extension backplate to avoid having to cut a rebate out of the masonary.There are only some instances where you have to have the built in trips in the sockets,garden tools for example.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thank you very much indeed for your kind words Michael :)  :)

As regards the socket,these haven't got built in fuses,the reason it's so chunky is that there is an extension backplate to avoid having to cut a rebate out of the masonary.There are only some instances where you have to have the built in trips in the sockets,garden tools for example.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks for clearing that up. Someone had told me that they were fused protected in London because of fire dangers in very old buildings. Ours had been listed. Apparently Napoleon II had stayed there for a bit. I do remember that it took almost three months to get aprouval for cable TV wiring to be attached to our flat from the outside. We were in St. John's Wood back in the mid 90's. Loved loving in the UK. We traveled a lot in-country as well. Of  course we visited the HMS Victory (:-)

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Nigel,

Well done on the carvings. Simply beautiful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Deciding to begin to make the carvings on the SoS already depends on the faith in yourself, on the self-confidence... You can really and easily be proud of yourself, Nigel...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

i love the work you have put into this build, i am always looking for your next updates

all the best

Hi Janos,

Thank you very much indeed :) .The ornamental castings supplied in the kit bear little resemblance to the Van De Velde engraving and the Lely portrait.I have extensively modified the stern shape to match the artwork;although closer than Sergal's kit,it still wasn't right.This has meant that the supplied castings do not fit anyway,so I made the decision to carve everything out of Pear.I know this is a formidable task but I am trying to alternate between carving and construction work in an attempt to break the monotony.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks again Janos

I am generally just using rotary tools to remove bulk material,preferring the tip of a scalpel to do the fine finish work.I have managed so far without chisels,but I do anticipate needing them when I start on the more complex carvings.I will have a bash at producing my own tools when needed.I certainly agree with you on boxwood.All the upper planking is box and one scalpel blade did one and a half gunports on average.I have had breakout on one or two pieces and now I am leaving fine raised edges oversize and thinning down as I near completion of the piece.

Kind Regards Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

After considerable deliberation,I felt my build was missing something,an interior.I haven't posted for a bit,but I have been busy beavering away.I wanted to utilise full cannons and carriages throughout.In order to do this I had to remove 20mm of solid birch ply infill at the bottom and smooth off the inner walls of the hull.I then shaped pieces of lime to the inside profile on the scroll saw to build up the hull thickness to nearer scale.The sections were left overthickness to allow for interior profiling.These were bonded in two at a time and allowed to dry before continuing to avoid hull distortion.It has meant that I get to cut the gunports all over again :o  :o .I have started work around the top of the hull completing the railings as I go in the hope of avoiding breaking anymore railing uprights.The plan is to fully plank the interior and other than the lower gundeck that will be fully planked,the rest will have sections of planking missing to be able to see the insides,navy board style.

post-1641-0-73176400-1378679977_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-46070100-1378680007_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-25876400-1378680040_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-85180200-1378680063_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-89112700-1378680082_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-16886200-1378680098_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-91857700-1378680110_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Nigel,

Stunning. Your upgrades will be spectacular as well as adding so much to this already superlative example that you are building. Your skill set is awesome. We will certainly all look forward to your interior updates.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -