Hello from Florida

hello, i am not new to modelling but have been "having a go" for quite a few years , i'm 56 now and grew up in England before moving to sunny florida 15 years ago, my main interest when i started out was model aeroplanes and i built and successfully flew lots of control line and eventually rc planes , now i fly helicopters , scale planes were a dream that i never did get around to fulfilling but that sparked my interest in model ships , the detail in the old galleons ,pardon the pun, floats my boat and although my models aren't historically accurate , i get a lot of enjoyment out of building them. 

i have been building ship models for maybe 20 years now , which sounds like a lot but its been sporadic , my best achievement is a corel HMS Victory which took me over 10 years and was in between the move to the US ,i have built 5 corel kits and a mamoli , for me they look good but would probably be picked apart by a master modeler , i have also just started a corel Endeavour and have looked at several build logs just to see if i am on the right track , everything i have done so far has been self taught and mostly from books , internet wasn't really a thing when i started and my local hobby shop helped a little with books but they are sadly out of business and i have moved away anyway . so  now i find myself trawling the internet for help with these projects and came across model ship world, which i wish i had found earlier there is a wealth of information here . 

anyway that's my story and introduction hello to all

Anthony

Welcome from another Floridian. I'm glad you came across Model Ship World. Your search can end here because this site is the site among sites for anything ship modeling and just about anything in between. When you have a question or just want to say hey, post it on here and you will get all the help you need. Best site on the internet in my opinion and I'm sure it's shared by a lot of others.

mike 

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard from Coconut Creek:piratebo5:

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

hello to all and thank you for the warm welcome, florida seems quite popular with ship builders , i do have questions so i'm sure i will be on here quite a lot , hurricane Dorian missed us thankfully but we were well prepared , i feel really bad for the Bahamas though , don't know how they are going to recover from it …...

thanks again

Anthony

Gidday Anthony and another warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

You have joined the right site if you are searching for support and encouragement.

I am constantly amazed by the level of technical and practical knowledge here.

If I may provide a couple of friendly pieces of advice,

Ask questions if and when you become stuck or unsure.

Above all enjoy yourself.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours, no pun intended.

Mark.