Half Hull Planking Project

6 hours ago, tlevine said:

Kit Build Logs 1750-1800

Just a thought...Are there enough logs on this model to justify a 'Group Project' thread?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure where to put this. I'm a beginner, so don't flame me if I get it wrong. This is a complete build. I started with tlevine's half-hull project and created the opposite half of the frame to make a complete hull. Last summer I posted photos somewhere on this website. So now the ship--I suppose it could be labelled a scratch build--is finished. Since the hull project seemed 1750-1800ish in form, I used the Halifax and Sultana to generally guide me in my first project. I learned a huge amount going at it with hammer and tongs without benefit of plans. So here she is, and thanks much to the Half-Hull Project to get me started.

Untitled-1copy.jpg.70fca5ffa063e249cec46fab7cafb0d4.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg.8febb60330f8fcb6e416330f1e21dffe.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg.a8cac3f444610ea36dc5e6926956a211.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg.eef06ad4d7fc5f0b85b733470687171f.jpg

IMG_0525[14895].jpg

IMG_0525[14890].jpg

IMG_0537[14904].jpg

IMG_0534[14901].jpg

IMG_0532[14899].jpg

Nice work!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     Utrecht-1742

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale      Echo Cross Section   NRG Rigging Project 

Utrecht-1742

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

What a cool idea!

Nicely done!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The half-hull kits are still available.  Use the link on the MSW home page - The black line of topics immediately under the Model Ship World name - click on NRG Home Page - 4th to the right - and check out the NRG store to find the kit and ordering information.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The kit has not increased in price since it was introduced.  Shipping,which we have absolutely no control over is another situation entirely.

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent the time reading through this trail from the start to finish and must commend Toni for not only the tutorial but also helping starters with their questions. Certainly has explained why I didn't get the finish I was hoping for with my current build of AL's HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat. Thanks to all contributors whose questions helped me understand the techniques and terms. So I have decided to buy the Model Shipways Shipwright 3 Kit Combo which I can purchase locally and avoid the international shipping costs (click and collect so no delivery cost) to improve my skill level. When I start where would I post the build log? 

And finally tips that I learned from a master painter that may be of use to somebody. When painting more than one coat you can keep the brush from drying out by wrapping in cling wrap (he did this at the end of each day and only cleaned the brush when finished with that colour). When cleaning the brush he rinsed it vigorously in a bucket of water and then left in a sugar soap solution before giving it a final wash out. The bristles on his brushes were still soft and pliant after much use. I leave my brushes in the solution overnight before final clean and dry and keeping good so far.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2024 at 11:58 PM, CliveR said:

When I start where would I post the build log? 

Delayed reply.

Go here: https://modelshipworld.com/forum/130-build-logs-for-ship-model-kits-by-era-launch-date/

The Dory should go under 1851-1900, the Pram under 1901 - present day, and the Smack 1851-1900

On the slip:

Norwegian sailing pram

On the drafting table:

OcCre Polaris

Muscongus Bay lobster smack

Completed:

Lowell Grand Banks Dory