Half Hull Planking Project

Many thanks Toni for de-demonizing planking. Lovely job, attractive model and simple steps.

Well done. 

Bruce 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Nice result Toni.  Back to the question about 1500 grit sandpaper.  Why do you think it necessary to go beyond 320?

Maury

Maury, with the softness of the basswood I find the surface visually smooth but when I rub my hand along it there is still some roughness.  With hardwoods I usually stop at 400.  It only takes a few minutes to sand it further because I am only sanding the lower hull, not the wale or bulwark planking.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Got it.  I mistakenly thought it was being made with Alaskan Yellow Cedar (AYC).  Same issue I imagine because it's soft like Bass.

Maur

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this great project.  I think I may order one.  I have always wanted to do a half hull and I still have so much to learn about planking.  I wonder if there would be any interest in this being a group project .  It seems like this could be a great option for beginners or first time molders in addition to people like me are novices and looking to improve skills and knowledge.    

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

Mark, I developed the kit with the idea of turning it into a group project.  As soon as a few people start build logs we will get things started.

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Toni, where do recommend build logs go. Is it a kit? Is it a scratch build?  Perhaps if it is going to be a group project like the Winchelsea then it seems to be in a completely different part of the forum.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Ok Toni I am in.  I will get a kit ordered and start a log...........here I go again 😀.   It looks like a fun and educational project.

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

It is a kit.  Start a log in the kit builds.  When several are started we can set it up in the group build area.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi all,

I know, that you have prepared some kits, but I like to ask, if it is possible to make the drawings and description available for members out of the US (for me Germany) . I like to give this small project a try but with shipping costs and tax it will become to expansive for me for a training project

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I've added a build log.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

5 hours ago, AnobiumPunctatum said:

Hi all,

I know, that you have prepared some kits, but I like to ask, if it is possible to make the drawings and description available for members out of the US (for me Germany) . I like to give this small project a try but with shipping costs and tax it will become to expansive for me for a training project

That sounds like a good idea. No prohibitive shipping costs.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I just placed my order.  Looking forward to this, I am sure I will learn a lot.  Now I need to clean the garage and set up a place to work.  

Mark

Christian and Ed, the NRG Board has discussed your situation and we had decided not to make the plan and instructions available as a stand-alone without the kit components.  We can talk about it again.

Toni

On 12/2/2019 at 1:58 PM, Blue Pilot said:

I just placed my order.  Looking forward to this, I am sure I will learn a lot.  Now I need to clean the garage and set up a place to work.  

Mark:

I just dropped off the kit at the PO.  Says it is due for delivery on Saturday.

Have fun.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi Toni,

sorry to hear that, but I respect your decision.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

The Board discussed your request again last night, Christian and Ed.  We will not be offering the kit in a plans and manual only version.  There were several issues raised but the most critical is the fact that this is aimed at the novice model builder.  They would not be expected to have the necessary equipment and skill to be able to accurately cut out the components.  

Toni

I completely understand the reasoning, that fact never crossed my mind. 

Thankyou for your replies, and considerations on the idea. 

Cheers 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

The Planking Kit is now available in the NRG Store.   Please note the 3 options to buy - US, Canada, Other .  Please click on the correct link for where you live.

Remember NRG members get 20% off.

https://thenrg.org/half-hull-planking-kit.php

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Looking forward to seeing it in the New Year.

Toni

• 3 weeks later...

Toni; thank you for posting this great build with great photos. Have a peaceful new year...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 5:57 PM, tlevine said:

the wale is a thicker run of planking that adds strength to the hull.  It will be located on the plans of whatever ship you are building.  It is marked on this plan with two blue lines.  Use a square to locate the top of the wale on the frames.

Toni - I have a question regarding marking the wale. It maybe due to my fairing but when I attempt to mark the lower edge of the wale of Frame G the result is very wide. My thinking is that the wale would be a semi-consistent width and I may be better off marking the top of the wale from the plans and then using the thickness from the plans to finish the lower edge or would I be better off leaving the wale as shown in the plans but having a pretty thick wale by the stern. I keep remeasuring but marking off the wale is giving me fits for some unknown reason, especially the lower edge 🙂. Thanks! 

EDIT: Doh I found my answer in the directions (going to sit in the corner now). The wales are a constant 0.28" it took me a while but i think i finally have them lined out reasonably well, or at least as well as I can do for now :).

Edited by VTHokiEE

We all have those moments.  We simply try to hide them!

Toni

I'm concerned that "those moments" are happening more often. I'm starting the Planking kit in about a month or two. I hope I remember to start...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 2 months later...

Looks very nice, Marshall.  Spiling is the same whether the model is POF, POB or a solid hull.  Thanks for posting your pictures.  What wood did you use for the wale?

Toni