Fannie A Gorham by cdrusn89 - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1/96

Stbd side Fore Mast ratlines are done.

Not too bad although the white glue is a bit more cloudy on this side for some reason (same glue - same technique ???) so the brown paint I ordered will come in handy.

For the other masts I am thinking of initially only gluing the ratline to the outboard shroud and then, when that is dry extend the line across the other two shrouds. My rational is that it is nearly impossible (for me) to only move the line on a single shroud and that even when cut to lengths as short as 3/4" there is still at times some curve to the line which is hard to remove.

We shall see if initially only doing one makes things easier.

Here is the stbd side - now on to the stays and topmast shrouds.

IMG_5224.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

Current Build -  HMS Sphinx 1775

Prior Builds:  HMS Winchelsea

USF Confederacy

I have completed rigging the lower shrouds, backstays, topmast shrouds, all four head stays, the four down hauls, halyards and sheet lines for the head sails.

I also rigged the peak and throat halyards and their whips. This along with the Fore top sail halyard (I have decide not to rig the topsail sheets and tacks as the block for the sheet I did not install on the gaff and most of this rigging would not be obvious since it would run under the gaff which is not visible with the gaff lowered as it is on this model) and the topping lifts (they are next) will complete the rigging for the Fore Mast - except for those items which terminate on the main mast.

All of the running rigging is currently belayed on the pins according to the instructions but nothing has been glued in place yet. My plan is to let the current arrangement sit overnight to see if anything comes undone or I find lines crossed. I will make whatever changes (none hopefully) in the morning and then put a drop of white glue on each of the belaying pins. When the extra lines are clear I will add rope "bundles" which I have been making "on the side" which waiting for glue to dry.

Here are some pictures of the model as it looks now.

IMG_5226.jpeg

IMG_5228.jpeg

IMG_5229.jpeg

IMG_5230.jpeg

IMG_5231.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I am declaring the forward third of the Gorham complete (pending a bit of touch up).

I got the rope coils on all of the belaying pins used, except the topsail halyard which is on the boom jaw and since the other end is also at that level there would not be much line left.

Speaking of rope coils here is my jig of creating them and storing them until needed.

IMG_5234.thumb.jpeg.d4eab0e43b7665d49384100ec9c91d15.jpeg

I have a spreadsheet which lists all the rigging lines and lays out the color and size of the line (as well as all the other tackle (blocks, eyebolts etc.) needed. I use the spreadsheet to match the belaying pins with the size and color of line used for that particular line. Over the years I have used a multitude of jigs for creating rope coils of belaying pins. Because this is my first model at 1/8" scale I had to build new ones as all my existing ones would make coils too large to fit the relatively tiny belaying pins at this scale.

So here are some shots of the model, first without the deck house and then with (although it is not yet permanently attached.

IMG_5235.jpeg

IMG_5236.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

IMG_5238.jpeg

IMG_5239.jpeg

IMG_5240.jpeg

IMG_5241.jpeg

IMG_5242.jpeg

IMG_5243.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

It is time to step the Main Mast.

Unlike the Fore mast this time I took the time and cleaned up some of the things I had to do on the Fore while it was onboard.

I tightened up and secured the gaskets holding the sail in place (and holding the gaff to the boom against the pull of the peak halyard), put a pin in the boom jaw to hold the boom down against the pull of the throat halyard, installed rope coils on the jaw belaying pins for the topsail tack and sheet, installed the gate the would hold the topmast and made sure the topmast follows the lower mast (not leaning back or forward).

Here is my setup for checking the mast alignment (and my messy workbench).

IMG_5244.thumb.jpeg.89a876af95bb9f529d7662f0db2f06d3.jpeg

I turned the model around , although the main mast is offset to port from the fore there is enough "stuff" in the way that I think this works better.

I checked both "roll and pitch" and the roll was okay but I toned down the pitch (rake) - trying to not make it noticeably more than the fore.

I added wedges at the mast base to keep this alignment and will pull them out assuming I can keep this alignment through the rigging process. If I still need them I will add a drop of glue and cut them off at the deck - the mast coat should hid them.

IMG_5245.thumb.jpeg.8745dd1f9ee7a5832f50e09e090ad1e0.jpegIMG_5246.thumb.jpeg.ad385a485edc4fb63197eb1ebd23bd6a.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Main Mast has been stepped.

I have the deadeyes attached to the shrouds on both sides but ran into some difficulty getting one of the chain plates to mount correctly. After considerable efforts I finally gave up and had to fab (and drill and paint) a new one.

I did get all the running rigging "hung" and routed so once I get the shrouds straightened out and the ratlines done it will simply be a matter of sorting the lines out (no crossed lines hopefully) and getting them to the belay points.

I ran out of the white PVA glue I had been using and was "forced" to shift to something else. I had several containers of various carpenter (aka yellow) glue in the cupboard but decided to start using a container of Weldbond "universal adhesive". I remember from somewhere (one of Bob Hunt's practicums I think) that Weldbond is soluble in rubbing alcohol which turned out to save the day when I somehow (inattention to detail again I suspect) glued the deadeye to one of the shrouds at the wrong place. Since I had used Weldbond to connect the deadeye and the line, as well as the seizing to the line in was a matter of soaking the offending deadeye in rubbing alcohol for 15 minutes or so and then pulling the seizing and line away from the deadeye. Some wiping with an alcohol soaked rag and waiting 30 minutes to make sure all the alcohol had evaporated and everything was ready for reattaching the deadeye in the correct location.

I will continue with the Weldbond for all the deadeyes on the mizzen.

Anyway, here is what the "good" side of the Main Mast looks like at this point.

Sorry for the rats nest but all the running rigging is there as well as the ends of the shrouds which have not been cut off yet.

IMG_5247.jpeg

IMG_5248.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

After what seemed like one difficulty after another (I pull the cavil off the bulkhead trying to get the boom tackle taught on both sides for example) I finally have the Main Mast onboard and all the standing and running rigging secured except for a rope coil for three which have been made up, and are drying "as we speak".

So it will be on to the Mizzen tomorrow baring some catastrophe overnight.

Here are so shots of the model with emphasis on the main mast area.

IMG_5256.jpeg

IMG_5257.jpeg

IMG_5258.jpeg

IMG_5259.jpeg

IMG_5260.jpeg

IMG_5261.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

The Fannie A. Gorham model is complete!

I think the "inverse rake" (leaning forward) that appears in some of the photos is caused by the Canon 10-22mm wide angle lens. I can't get back enough to use the 100mm macro lens. Compare the two photos below. The first was shoot with the Canon, the second with my iPhone 10.

IMG_2253.thumb.JPG.f7c33dc15da5902e564578e470416547.JPGIMG_5274.thumb.jpeg.f9ab30e1c62bb1adf174cc73555721f5.jpeg

I think the second comes closer to the reality I see.

So here some more pictures, more than anyone would really want to look at but since I took them here they are.

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2255.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Very nice work. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

• 7 months later...

Thanks for posting so many pictures of the Fannie Gorham in progress.  I am just beginning my model and always get nervous at first about sanding the hull.  I want that to be as close to the plans as possible.  That gives me confidence to move on to the next steps.  I like having a visual of what to expect as the project goes along.  Cindy Morgan

• 1 month later...

Pogy - you are most welcome. Anything for a sewer pipe sailor. Check out my build log of the Charles P. Notman; another schooner, this one with four masts but a similar jib arrangement.

Thanks Mark.

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy