adjustable height work area

This is probably not a new idea but I recently found a simple adjustable height work table designed for standing and sitting at a computer worked for me when using it in the sitting position only to work on ship building.

I have used a single height table but found when I needed to work up close for small tasks like tying pulleys I had to raise the work and working on the rigging would have to stand up. And I would be in odd postures occasionally to get to a particular part of the model.

With an adjustable table I can sit and bring the work to a comfortable height while I stay at one level.

IMG_20200111_111428.jpg

IMG_20200111_111310.jpg

I have a bit different approach.

I have a very high bench and use essentially a bar stool which I can lower as needed!😉

Your workshop is fantastic!

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2020 at 3:15 AM, vaddoc said:

I have a bit different approach.

I have a very high bench and use essentially a bar stool which I can lower as needed!😉

Similarly, I use a old drafting stool like the one below that I scored at a garage sale:

See the source image

The adjustable height tables are a valuable thing to have, but my main concern these days is providing for a solid base for my hands and forearms to ensure steady manipulation. There's a world of difference between rigging "in mid-air" and rigging "with your elbows on the table." 

I'm currently considering one of the adjustable arm rests like these made for computer users:

71fd4vKBvpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71OjkuKKg-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm thinking that mounting these on a bar adjusted to fit the user's sitting or standing height with a lift table behind it, would work well for "getting in close" to do rigging while providing forearm and wrist stabilization.

Has anybody any experience with these?

15 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Has anybody any experience with these?

This was made for long typing period on a keyboard , plus a small table for the mouse. This model is for a table and there is also a model for a chair. The idea is to transfer the arm weight to the forearm on the pad and to reduce the distance  so that the hand can easily move. At the opposite, if you would try by example to carve with the arm fully extended not resting on anything, your arm would get tired much faster and with pain as an extra. This way the hand is "free". 

Very good for long  figurehead carving period by example.

There are different kind of height adjustable  table: cylinder, hydraulic jack but electric are the most versatile to adjust the height. Working at the good height is so much easier to work... and not only for the rigging!

IMAG0006.jpg

On 1/11/2020 at 4:57 PM, Johnny Mike said:

With an adjustable table I can sit and bring the work to a comfortable height while I stay at one level.

IMG_20200111_111428.jpg

Who makes this table? Can you tell us where you got it? It's exactly what I have been looking for.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Take a look at some of the dog grooming tables, heavy duty hydraulic ones can be purchased for around £250 new in the uk

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36