Homemade Styrene rack

I do a lot of scratchbuilding, so I have a shallow drawer in my work bench/desk that is is full of those long skinny packages of Evergreen strip styrene.   (I have another drawer full of similar brass and other metals, and another for wood.)
When I need something, I was rummaging around trying to find the right size, which is of course the only one I can’t seem to find.

There had to be a better way to organize this!  

It seemed to me that storing them vertically would take up less space, so I was thinking about some kind of rack.   Someone pointed out that the really thin stock will droop if sorted vertically, so that got me thinking about using tubes.   Looking at a typical package of Evergreen Strips, I realized that the packaging takes up a lot more space than the small contents. That made the idea of small tubes seem even better, and they can fit pretty close together, which means a smaller footprint for the rack.

I made a rack using the MakeIt Lab laser cutter, cut from 3mm hobby plywood.  I made a two-tiered rack that will hold 50 plastic tubes.  I found a packaging company that sold the tubes for about 44 cents each. The tubes are 9/16” outside diameter.  The rack is about 13 inches wide and 4 inches deep, so it doesn’t take up much space on the workbench.

The tubes are a foot long, so the 14 inch long strips protrude a bit, making them easy to grab.  I can toss the shorter pieces back in, and the clear tube will let me see them in there.  When needed, I can pull out the desired tube to dump out the shorter pieces.

I have spent about $25 total on this project, but now I have exactly what I wanted.  This should save me money over time, as I’ll know what I have and won’t be buying duplicate packages because I couldn’t find the one I already had!

-Bill

7E9FFD12-9B95-4B31-BBB5-55C22995017D.jpeg

Edited by Rcboater Bill
Fixed typos, added new ones

In progress:  

BlueJacket Lobster Smack 1/8 scale (RC)

1/96 Revenue Cutter Harriet Lane RC scratchbuild

completed:  

1/144 scale USS Guadalcanal CVE-60 RC scratchbuild

Revell 1/305 USCG 327’ Secretary class cutter

Dumas 1/16 scale USCG Motor Lifeboat 36500 (RC)

Lindberg 1/95 USCG Lightship LV-112 “Nantucket” RC conversion

I added a few improvements to the rack - I added intermediate “steps” so each of the four rows is on a different level. I also added a second set of holes at the bottom, to keep tubes from sliding about. Finally, the labels I had used didn’t have enough “stick” , so I replaced them with better colored ones. Tubes, rods, strip, square, and special shapes all have their own color code.

Next I think I’ll make another for strip wood...

571A300F-57C2-4C4E-898A-5EFF80831270.jpeg

In progress:  

completed:  

Sweet, nice. I have all my wood strips in a cardboard box so when I need a certain size or type piece of wood I have to dig! I like this idea and using tubes I can store any length in the tube and it is clear so I can see that piece. This goes on my list of do,s

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

I got mine from these guys:   

https://store.cleartecpackaging.com/clear_en/

I ordered the 12” thin wall tubes, and bought plug caps to seal the bottoms.

Minimum order quantity was 100,  but 100 from Cleartec was cheaper than buying 50 from someone else. Also, these guys will send a free sample- It came in a few days.  I asked for a plug as well- they sent that too. I was glad I did, as the plug’s outside diameter is about 1mm or more larger than the tube itself.  I needed to make the holes a little bigger, so they’d fit.

I used a laser cutter to make all the holes, but would have used my drill press if I didn’t have access to a laser cutter.

I know it maybe seems like overkill, but it was fun to make something useful for the hobby area while practicing with the Lab’s laser cutter.  And I find that an organized workbench stays cleaner, which makes it a more inviting place to spend time...

-Bill

EDIT:  In my original post, I said the tubes were 44 cents each.  They are actually a lot cheaper- about 25 cents apiece. But after buying the end plugs and paying for shipping, the total order was about $44.   I still have another 50 left, which I’ll use to make a rack for wood and brass & aluminum rod.

Edited by Rcboater Bill

In progress:  

completed:  

I will let you know how I get on with my racks when the materials come, so thanks again Bill for the heads up .

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Let me remind you that wood strips stored in a vertical manner will eventually take on a bend (been there, done that).  They should be stored flat.

Maury

On 1/31/2020 at 10:37 AM, Maury S said:

Let me remind you that wood strips stored in a vertical manner will eventually take on a bend (been there, done that).  They should be stored flat.

Maury

I wish I could find a “ hull- shaped” storage tube!   😉

But seriously, the really  thin styrene strips flop over like a leaf on an ornamental grass plant.  That’s why they need to be in a narrow tube.   

In progress:  

completed: