Sovereign of the Seas by pirozzi - FINISHED - Mantua

so the shrouds are just approx lengths then i take it, would it be to much of a pain to just makes them up after putting the mast into position 

lovely work

all the best

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

so the shrouds are just approx lengths then i take it, would it be to much of a pain to just makes them up after putting the mast into position 

lovely work

all the best

Hi Kevin,

Since I am completely rigging the mast with all of the running rigging, yards, and sails before setting on the ship, it will get very crowded around the crowsnest and it also requires working on both sides of the mast. After it is set on the ship, I only have to lash the ends of the shrouds to the deadeyes and rattle them. All of the uppers are already completed and rattled beforehand. I did it this way for the foremast and it workrd out very well.

Vince

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Mates,

I have not posted on this log in a while, but it is because I am at a point where progress appears slow and I don't want to put photos that show little progress. I am doing the upper shrouds and ratlines on the main mast. Since this ship has 5 stage masts, that is a lot of clove hitches. :( I am almost finished and will post some more photos in about 2 days or so.

Vince P.

Hi Vince

Like Edwin said just brilliant workmanship I cannot say any more than that.

Now I know what I have in front of me :(  :(  :(  ;) .

Talk to you soon.

Denis

Vince,

Nice update. Gary is correct these detail areas take so long, It seems as thought there is no visible progress, then when its done it, as yours is, looks spectacular.  

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Parrels for the lower yard on the mainmast. Like I said before on the foremast, the kit does not include these, but it is a nice addition. I bought little parrel kits from Amati and they are the correct scale. They are a little hard to thread and rig, but it is fun.

Vince P.

post-579-0-89472000-1374275557_thumb.jpg

Vince,

Super nice details. You are working on the area that will "freak me out" when I get there (standing and running rigging) Yours looks so good. I will have to do a lot of studying to get to the details that you, and others are at. Congrats....

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hanging the main sail. It is critical to pull the ends tight by passing the earring on the end cringle and pulling outward on both ends. The sail now has no sagging in the middle, which will cause bunching when it is sewn on to the yard. The sewing part comes next.

Vince P.

post-579-0-87412100-1374364822_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-15710300-1374364825_thumb.jpg