Byrnes saw blade biting...update with pic

WAs intending to do a little heavier cutting and I installed the original blade. However it seems to be biting one side of the cover. When using slitting blades I also noticed the blade was very close to the cover on the right side (looking at it).

Any thoughts?

SEE THE PIC ATTACHED TO SEE WHAT I MEANT ABOUT BLASE BEING SO CLOSE TO SIDE> THIS IS A SLITTING BLADE.MY CARBON BLADE THAT CAME WITH THE SAW RIBS RIGHT AGAINST IT.13671.jpeg.48b556dca5f3d5bf2bc5f3d17abf5db6.jpeg

Edited by bigcreekdad
add pic

Without seeing the issue, it sounds like something is out adjustment.   You can PM Jim here at MSW.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

When "cover" is referenced I have assumed you mean the table insert for the saw blade. If so I would suggest the following from my careless experience. I installed a new blade which had an existing table insert that matched the prior blade kerf. I turned on the saw and it was slightly hitting the side of the insert. I stopped and opened the saw up and to my dismay the saw blade was not sitting flush on the mandrel. The act of reinstalling it correctly did not fix the problem as the blade had slightly distorted. That new blade was rendered useless.

Joe

Edited by Thistle17

I've found the best way is to make my own inserts.  A piece of wood cut to match the opening and fitted.   The blade is put on and retracted completely.  The new insert is installed and the saw turned on.  Then just raise the blade through the wood.  If needed, holes can be drilled through the wood to allow dust to sucked by the vacuum. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Richard popped my memory on this also..... when you put the blade on spacer, make darn sure that it doesn't slide off the spacer while tightening the screw or nut (not sure what Byrnes uses).  If that happens, the blade will probably wobble and also seem to go up and down when spinning along with lots of vibration.  Been there, done that, and always double check that didn't do it again.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

17 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Richard popped my memory on this also..... when you put the blade on spacer, make darn sure that it doesn't slide off the spacer while tightening the screw or nut (not sure what Byrnes uses).  If that happens, the blade will probably wobble and also seem to go up and down when spinning along with lots of vibration.  Been there, done that, and always double check that didn't do it again.

Yep.   Me too. 

I bought inserts supplied by Jim and have cut each for use with specific blades.   Well worth it, and according to Model Machines, no damage the blade during this process (to my surprise).   After the initial cut I run some sandpaper through the slot as advised and it came out great, with no contact between the blade and the insert. 

IMG_1321.thumb.JPG.60b71fcaba72a396aaf4fb5b5537adfc.JPGIMG_1322.thumb.JPG.5e3f32709eb8d1fd3f069b8496fda568.JPG