HMB Endeavour 1768 by S.Coleman - Artesania Latina - 1:60 scale

Ok first of all hello guys and gals. It's been almost three years since my last log on here. I had built the Friesland by mamoli. The build log is still here. 

So I got this kit awhile ago on a buy, swap and sell page. It's an old one but the wood inside is very well preserved. No warping, The rubber bands holding the strips together has long since perished. 

Decide to have a crack at it and see where we go from there. 

20200410_140421.jpg

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Removing the frames from the boards was a bit tricky, laser not cut all the way through. After removal a quick sand and now a dry fit. Instructions have the bulkheads numbered but not on the actual pieces so it was a bit of a jigsaw getting the correct order.

I have the AOTS book to help along the way. 

20200410_140450.jpg

20200410_140509.jpg

20200410_140609.jpg

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

Hi Scott,

I built this kit about 35 years ago, so my memory is a little vague. But I think that if you check the height of the mizzen mast as shown on the kit plan, it is quite a bit less than the height that Marquardt argues is correct. He goes into a fair bit of detail about this.

Cheers

Richard

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

Hello Scott good to see another Endeavour.

I am like you, been absent for a fair while, but just restarted my Mermaid.

There have a lot of quality Endeavours in recent times so plenty of logs to look at.

I will follow yours with interest, mine is in a holding pattern currently till i find more space and time for it.

Cheers Chris

Hi Scott

Yes I also built this kit about 30 years ago, and am currently building a bigger 1:51 scale Endeavour. Be careful about using the Marquardt book as reference, it has quite a few errors but mostly its a good reference especially for spar dimensions and some of the finer details not in the kit plans. The AL kit rigging plans are mostly correct, but as I said, lacking detail.

I will follow your build with interest.

Cheers

Steve

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

2 hours ago, Richard44 said:

Hi Scott,

I built this kit about 35 years ago, so my memory is a little vague. But I think that if you check the height of the mizzen mast as shown on the kit plan, it is quite a bit less than the height that Marquardt argues is correct. He goes into a fair bit of detail about this.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for checking in. I will look into the mizzen mast dimensions a bit more now I think with that info.  This book should help with a lot of small details that the kit has left out. 

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

To let the planks lie 100% on the bulkheads where they bend towards the bow and stern I've marked out the edge of the bulkhead with a black marker. This is so i don't sand too much off the bulkhead profile.

20200411_112001.jpg

20200411_120837.jpg

20200411_120848.jpg

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Started on the deck planking. Didn't like the way it looked with the caulking so ripped it up and started again. AOTS book has the hatches on the waist deck in differnt positions. It shows the main hatch closer to the aft deck step and another hatch a little bit forward from it. I will add in joins and scarf joints later as i find it easier that way.

20200412_140248.jpg

20200413_102657.jpg

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Hi Scott

I think the hole in the deck is for the stairs to the deck below, I think the main hatch behind it is created by placing a frame and grating on top of the deck planks. Trouble is that hole doesn't look far enough forward

Cheers

Steve

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Yeah sounds about right.  I've covered over that hole in the hope i can place it further forward. Plans are so vague on this one.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Not too bad progress. Bulkheads had alot of fudging around to finaly get planks to lay properly. Probaly going to be few and far between with photos as the planking process takes its time. 

20200414_083232.jpg

20200414_104755.jpg

20200414_104845.jpg

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Hi Chap,

I forgot the name of the member, (MSW), I got these off a few years ago....

Hope they are of some assistance as the plans/instructions are not!!

(I printed them off, to me they are "Gold" for this model!! 🙂)

Unsure how accurate as I am not there yet, but better than A/L Plans, anyway, something to share....

(Thank you for triggering my memory. 🙂)

The reason I requested these is that the Plan and Sheer views provided in my kit were 1:1 B & W photos, extremely difficult to get any accurate measurements off.

If you can't see them, send me a PM.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

img001.pdf img002.pdf img003.pdf img004.pdf

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Cheers Harry. Downloads opened no problem. I like how it even has the degrees for mast angles. This will help out a ton.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Annnnnd slow progress guys. Heres some pics if your interested. 😁

20200415_144521.jpg

20200415_144555.jpg

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

1 hour ago, Cabbie said:

Slow, you call that slow, you don't know the meaning of the word😁

Looks like your zooming along to me.

Looks very neat and well done as well.

Chris

Cheers Chris, It’s actaly been awhile since my last ship so it’s all coming back to me again.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

On 4/10/2020 at 7:33 PM, shipaholic said:

Hi Scott

Yes I also built this kit about 30 years ago, and am currently building a bigger 1:51 scale Endeavour. Be careful about using the Marquardt book as reference, it has quite a few errors but mostly its a good reference especially for spar dimensions and some of the finer details not in the kit plans. The AL kit rigging plans are mostly correct, but as I said, lacking detail.

I will follow your build with interest.

Cheers

Steve

One ought not state that a reference has errors without being specific. I does not help the model builder. Please point out any specific errors or where you may disagree with the work.

Regards

Allan Tyler

Models finished:  Too many to list.

Current build. Danmark (kit bash)

And the planking continues..... will open up the hatches before its all covered in. Going surprisingly well considering its my first ship in a while since the Friesland.

20200418_155656.jpg

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Love your build. Endeavor has been on my bucket list for a long time. I was fortunate to be in Sydney just before the whole COVID-19 thing started, and was able to see the Endeavor replica there. I took this pic, which shows the planking at the bow. 
94BF2FA8-F1BC-435C-AB75-CC067D8C97D6.thumb.jpeg.ef811c45df048f391d3008e0d0445b58.jpeg
Below the wales, the curvature of the planks differs significantly from that shown in the Marquardt AOTS Endeavor book:

460FB569-0755-4B4A-94D3-8DDD828BF433.thumb.jpeg.5e8a05f1315ca0d5f8993a836abf6be8.jpeg

I was wondering how the kit plans show this. 

Also, if you look closely at the photo I took, several planks in the white area, as they curve upward, just before entering the black area, that seem to terminate with an odd “hook” shape. I wonder if this is to facilitate attachment to the timbers behind, which are oriented horizontally, rather than vertically as most of the frames are. 

Looking forward to more of your build. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

The manner in which Karl depicted the bow planking is difficult to produce. It requires compound bending of the planks.

The replica is planked below the wales in a fashion more akin to the methods used on Dutch vessels.

Here are a couple of drawings I produced in the 90's based on the how I planked the model.

It's not the same as Karl's but easy to achieve.

Based on contemporary paintings and other work I think it is a good representation.

Regards

Allan

scan0014aa.jpg

endeavour_bowA.jpg

endeavour_sternA.jpg

Evening Scott

I unashamedly planked mine as a copy oy what the replica builders did, probably not textbook pc, but i am

happy with it. have a look here. Have a look on page 4.

I dropped plans under the wales using hooked planks, the timber used is Jarrah as per replica.

Cheers Chris

Edited by Cabbie

Cheers for your input guys. Yes the AOTS book has every plank terminating at the stem. This  clears up alot of confusion. You will have to plank it like cabbie has done To get this looking good. That information actualy will be a help. Hoping to het back to her after work today.  

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Got the first layer done. Sanded and tidied up. Looks ok from what i can see.  We'll see what happens when i start the second layer....

20200425_195537.jpg

20200425_195647.jpg

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

Sorry to chime in here as basically a know-nothing about proper planking, but I feel compelled to mention I was doing some research a few months ago on planking and encountered an article which I can't find now. But I recall I was specifically interested in the shape of the garboard plank, and the article I was reading included a few photographs of a real hull under construction. I am not certain, but it may well have been the Endeavour replica. Interestingly, the article showed a picture of the ship's bow as an example of what to avoid, that the garboard strake had not been done optimally and as a result the planks were upswept at the bow to a greater degree than they should, and as a result many more drop strakes were used. 

If indeed this was the Endeavour, this may explain why the plans for your model show the strakes meeting the stem at more of a right angle than you see in the replica photographs. Perhaps the replica is actually not entirely accurate. 

I hope this isn't heresy. I suppose my point is that you can probably plank your hull however you feel like, because there's a full-sized example of it however it turns out!

Edited by Keith S

bluff_bow_planking_primer (2016_05_23 09_55_48 UTC).pdf

Here it is, I thought I might have lost it when computer died a few years back.

This is how i did mine, and this is how the planks wanted to lay on the ship.

And the stern planked without using any stealers.

Hooroo Chris

Edited by Cabbie

Keith, The more you chime in the better. Dont be sorry. Everything helps. Im sure i have watched something like that but cant remeber if it was tbe Gothenburg or the Endeavour. I have been warned however the the AOTS book references are not as acurate as you think they are. Which is where the planks are shown all terminating at the stem.

Cheers

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

1 hour ago, Cabbie said:

bluff_bow_planking_primer (2016_05_23 09_55_48 UTC).pdf 208.88 kB · 10 downloads

Here it is, I thought I might have lost it when computer died a few years back.

This is how i did mine, and this is how the planks wanted to lay on the ship.

And the stern planked without using any stealers.

Hooroo Chris

These were taken in Fremantle. I will try to do this with my limited skill and i guess i can only try 😀.  Cheers for the pics and you reply. 

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

It does not matter how you plank your model. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

However the replica Endeavour is not planked in the manner in which it would have been done in Cook's era.

All of the planks terminated in the rebet in the stemKIPPING_PLANKING.pdf

Here is an extract from Kipping which explains the process in detail.

Allan Tyler

Hello Allan I wonder if it was a matter of necessity for the replica, the Jarrah would have been very expensive

and naturally bent timber would be hard to get and wide planks would be dear.

With my model the top plank under the wales at the point shown had to be spiled

or side bent from there to make it go to the bow.

Chris

Hi Chris. No doubt the replica was built as necessary. The choice of timber has a lot to do with it. The method of terminating planks on the wale is typical of dutch vessels.

The issue with most kits is the double planking technique. The outer layer is so thin that bending the planks sideways as is necessary is impossible.

Even with single planks it is not possible without using steelers or drop strakes. Oak and Fir is a much more workable timbers than Jarrah and that is probably why the replica is planked as such. No problems.

I was just pointing out that English ships of the era would have been planked as Kipping describes.

I think that Karl almost had it right but in practice it would need more steelers/dropstrakes to achieve the desired result.

Another interesting read is about ribbands. They used these to divide the planking into sections so they could work out where to put the steelers.

Kind regards

Allan