Finding this Black Pearl Real McCoy

Origamifan92

In my haste to just find a Black Pearl kit, I didn't even realize that even model ships were ripped off. As such, when I saw a $400 Black Pearl kit on ZHL, I was excited and bought it. Because I'll definitely need help once I've made a few other ships and get to this one, where's the original that I can try and return the ZHL model?

Edited by ccoyle
link removed

Well, there's a couple of choices... one plastic by  Zveda.  

You can also do what Old Collingwood did which was bash or convert another kit over to her:  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19140-black-pearl-by-old-collingwood-finished-172-scale/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Have a look at his log.  I don't think it was that much work.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello, Origamifan. The issue with the ZHL Black Pearl is not that it is a copy of an existing kit, although most ZHL kits are. In the case of BP, the issue is that ZHL's kit is not licensed by Disney, so it is still stolen intellectual property. The only licensed wood kit of BP that I know of off the top of my head was a partswork kit offered a few years back by Hatchette. It is now out of production and is considered collectible, so you might have trouble finding one.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

• 3 months later...

Origamifan

I don’t know if you are still looking but I received a Black Pearl kit from my children for my birthday.  It is a Chinese kit therefore the instructions are in Chinese but the instruction book and large scale layout plans are fairly detailed.  See attached.  If you want additional information such as source please let me know and I will ask them.

David

13D3EDB3-C1D9-4C31-BB7D-CB9FD1E6691A.jpeg

Be advised, SC (Shi Cheng) is on our banned manufacturers list. ALL Black Pearl kits currently coming out of China are unlicensed products and thus constitute infringement of copyrighted Disney intellectual property. Please read:

The Shi Cheng kit happens to be copied from the licensed Hachette kit designed by Chris Watton.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, Cornhusker1956 said:

Origamifan

I don’t know if you are still looking but I received a Black Pearl kit from my children for my birthday.  It is a Chinese kit therefore the instructions are in Chinese but the instruction book and large scale layout plans are fairly detailed.  See attached.  If you want additional information such as source please let me know and I will ask them.

David

13D3EDB3-C1D9-4C31-BB7D-CB9FD1E6691A.jpeg

Thank you for volunteering, but I got one from [redacted], which I'll enjoy making, but can't ask for help, sadly

OK, you’ve got the model kit.  You’re not going to get your money back.  There is nothing that you can do that will cause the supplier to change its behavior.  Build the model!  If the result is disappointing chalk it up to experience and use what you have learned next time to build something from a legitimate supplier.  Keep in mind that the kit represents an imaginary vessel.  

Roger

I strongly recomend  getting the Revell plastic kit of the Pearl  then just do a few mods like I did - follow my build if you want to,   its a very accurate kit  and very well made  just needs the mods I did  to Improve it and bring it to life.

OC:cheers::dancetl6:

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

18 hours ago, Cornhusker1956 said:

I received a Black Pearl kit from my children for my birthday.

Please note that situations like this are why we have the "Banned Manufacturers" topic -- to educate folks about the intellectual property crimes perpetrated by certain unscrupulous kit makers, hopefully before those folks make a purchase unawares. Help spread the word.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, Origamifan92 said:

Hmm, I'll have to think about it. I've never done plastic, and am not sure how to make it look wooden. Would a sprayed on matte paint do the trick?

Certainly would  and even more so with so dry brushing ontop of the flat paint after its dry, just like adding a gentle dusting  to bring out the high spots of the grain and details like edges of planks and fittings< but remeber to  cover/mask the windows first.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Have look in the kit model build area.   Lots of plastic kits and some way beyond just a simple paint job.    RGL build steel navy ships and his detailing is first rate.   There's others like him.  What works for steel navy would work (although different colors, finishes apply).

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: