USF Constellation 1798 by TreeSqueak - Artesania Latina - 1:85

Bulkhead

I have a very basic question so that I don't stuff up before I've barely started. 

I know my bulkhead peices need to be at right angles, but should I be lining them up at the top or the bottom? 

I have started lining them up at the top, but the bottoms don't line up, is this normal?

I think they should be lined up at the top, but I'm going to pause for an answer before I continue.

:)

I think it’s fair to assume the pictures may not have been updated with new parts. What I would suggest is placing all the bulkheads and checking the run to make certain they look like they all are lining up correctly as a double check before gluing them in when you see a discrepancy like this (of course it looks like 6 doesn’t match the picture either). 

You can lay a plank along the run of bulkheads to see that they all are basically following a good line (and an idea of what to do when you need to fair the bulkheads before planking).

Edit - I’m half heartedly searching for an AL Red Dragon kit but I noticed in build logs that they switched from die cut pieces to laser cut pieces (so I’m looking for the later laser cut version). I assume they did they same to this kit and the pictures in the instructions are from the earlier version of the kit. No idea why they doubled up on 9 though. Are there any logs on this version? I haven’t had a chance to look and see if they had a similar question.

I just started the same kit and had the same question. Dry fitting the bulkheads leaving out the duplicate #9 seems to line up okay.  There is a larger instruction book in either Spanish or Italian that I haven't tried to translate yet to see if there is better info.  

Update:  Review the ship's layout diagram in lower right portion of fold out sheet #1 ( reverse side of picture).  It shows there are 2 sub decks in that area and only 1 instance of bulkhead #9. 

Part # 30 is the dark Mukali veneer wood. See parts list at end of picture book.  It seems to be used for all the lower decks.

Looking pretty good at this point.   I do suggest that you read well ahead in the instructions.   The reason is that after they tell you to glue the main deck down, they then tell you assemble and install the guns which is impossible.  We've had way too many abandoned builds happen when they realize that they can't install the guns.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Looking pretty good at this point.   I do suggest that you read well ahead in the instructions.   The reason is that after they tell you to glue the main deck down, they then tell you assemble and install the guns which is impossible.  We've had way too many abandoned builds happen when they realize that they can't install the guns.

Yeah. Which is why I think it just skipped the step of adding that vaneer to number 33. 

18 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Part # 30 is the dark Mukali veneer wood. 

My mistake ! It is the pale yellow wood strips. I think what that picture shows is the sort of catwalk of the main deck around the gun deck,  which would be planked with Mukali strips

Hold off the catwalks as long a possible.  The guns need to be set into place and appropriate rigging for them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Treesqueak

Have a look at Toms10s build. It shows where and what these pieces are for. Maybe ask him about them?

It also looks as if he has an English copy of the instructions too!

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

It looks like step 15 in the booklet shows the proper placement. Pic from @toms10

532944856_Toms10Pic.jpg.a7d3edc87ebfbac30249bee0242e76af.jpg

These should be shown on the A4 sheets that show all the cutouts from plywood?

Sometimes these parts look like throw aways after a larger piece has been removed, as I've found.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this one 🙁.

Bob

Bob

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

Before you plank, check the glue you'll be using to the dummy barrels to the polystyrene. Some glues just melt it.

It may be better to replace with balsa.

Fairing the bulkheads make all the difference with planking!

Bob

14 hours ago, Bob Fraser said:

Before you plank, check the glue you'll be using to the dummy barrels to the polystyrene. Some glues just melt it.

It may be better to replace with balsa.

Fairing the bulkheads make all the difference with planking!

Thanks :) I'm still working on the fairing. It takes a lot of effort....I might get my dremmel out.

3 hours ago, TreeSqueak said:

..I might get my dremmel out.

Go careful, you can quickly take too much off with it.

Use a piece of string, or a 0.5mm length of stripwood to check for lumps or gaps as you're going.

This is where, many years ago, I trashed a model 🥵 and didn't really touch another until now.

Is this a double planked hull?

Bob

I feel your pain. I've an AL Endeavour on the shelf with about half the fittings missing that they wouldn't replace. It'll end up as a lower mast only model.

Good catch withthe balsa , it'll give the gun stubs something solid to glue to, not much chance of them coming away.

Bob