HMS Speedy by whitejamest - Vanguard Models - 1:64

What you say sounds very plausible to me Allan. I think on a kit like this it might not be terribly hard to adjust the oarlocks - cutting the protrusions off the laser cut rim pieces and reattaching them to align with another thwart. Delicate work, but doable. They don't have to bear up to stress. 

I wonder, on boats where the oarlock is not made of removable thole pins but consist of gaps in the gunwale, would those still have been present on both sides symmetrically, or would they alternate from one side to the other, one per thwart? Eventually I'll be working on Speedy's cutter, which has gaps rather than pins. 

Current build: HMS Speedy, Vanguard Models 1:64

Past Projects: 18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways, 1:48

22 Foot Yawl, Vanguard Models, 1:64

1 hour ago, whitejamest said:

oarlock is not made of removable thole pins but consist of gaps in the gunwale, would those still have been present on both sides symmetrically,

They would be the same as pins from what I have seen.   Both sides for each thwart for a double banked boat, alternating for single banked.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Whatever the correct historical details , the result you have reached is stunning. I've just got the first strake fixed on the VM 26' launch and these are very fiddly little (but fun) kits. You have done an amazing job of your yawl and it is to be aspired to.

Absolutely brilliant work!

A

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks very much for the kind words Aliluke. They are definitely fun kits. I hope you'll post pictures of your launch build. I'm sure it will be a lovely complement to your Fly. 

I will post pictures when I get towards completion - so far any pictures would look just like the instructions excepting for a couple breakages! And adding masts and sails, as brilliant as yours look, is completely beyond me.

@James - a dozen!? - no thanks - two will do!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

• 10 months later...
11 hours ago, Theodosius said:

After your great work on the Yawl, may I ask how is it going with your speedy? 🙂 

Thanks for checking in, I appreciate it. I coincidentally just recently started up again, slowly adding planks to the inside of the bulwarks. I hope to have some more pictures to post soon. 

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a small update on a very leisurely build log. I've added the planking to the insides of the bulwarks and painted them. The paint has shown me a few areas that will need to be cleaned up a bit, and then I'll start adding planks to the outside of the bulwarks. Strange to think that I might one day conceivably be done with the planking of this model. But that's crazy talk. 

I did add a detail that was not part of the kit, but that I have seen several other Speedy builders add - the spirketing strip at the bottom of the bulwarks. I thought it was a very attractive feature on those other models, and it wasn't hard to make. 

For what it's worth, I think if I were doing this step over again, I would probably not use pear wood. It's pretty tough stuff, which makes cutting out the gunports a little more laborious, and takes a little more elbow grease to sand down. If the intent is for the wood to be entirely hidden under paint, I think basswood would probably have been an easier way to go. Just something I'll bear in mind the next time I am planking inner bulwarks. 

20240410_111826.thumb.jpg.98679bfb4572b12681873826a99f8606.jpg

20240410_111756.thumb.jpg.e4d311bee27ab2fe802623c51bdd9dbe.jpg